Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
I've mentioned this a few times in here...the difference between a crappy NFL team and a very good NFL team is very small...the devil is in the details in a lot of these things...

Which is why I get excited about the Bills next year, yet while I keep my expectations tempered. They need a few things, and getting in a tight end who can be a safety valve for Fitzpatrick if he gets in trouble would be nice (Scott Chandler is simply not that guy). This would also involve Gailey doing something he has generally never done offensively at any point in time, but perhaps he can make an adjustment to his own philosophy, as opposed to Martz never doing so. They also need some help on defense, but it was a generally young defense with a rather uncreative defensive coordinator. I look forward to seeing what Wannestedt can do with that defense.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
I know it doesnt mean anything in terms of a legacy, but making it to 4 consecutive Super Bowls is a MUCH bigger accomplishment then winning 1. That said he obviously would trade 3 of those trips for 1 ring.

f***ing Norwood

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
Huge rumor going on in San Fran, is that the 49ers #1 thing to do this off season is to trade for Peyton Manning..

Kurt Warner thinks that Manning would be a good fit for the Niners next season.

http://reewatch.com/#preview/309/60

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...ky-to-pull-off/

I have a hard time envisioning Manning enjoying a coach like Harbaugh yelling at him all the time.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
Mike Tice reveals his philosophies for being an OC: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,1623194.story

I absolutely LOVE what I just read.

A lot of it is coachspeak, but at least he sounds like he has a pretty good handle on our strengths and weaknesses. I like how he mentioned the deep drops making it so difficult on the OLinemen too...that was a bit of a shot at Martz. I like the idea of going no-huddle at times as well as allowing Jay to check at the line.

Let's go get Dwayne Bowe.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
Huge rumor going on in San Fran, is that the 49ers #1 thing to do this off season is to trade for Peyton Manning..

Kurt Warner thinks that Manning would be a good fit for the Niners next season.

http://reewatch.com/#preview/309/60

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...ky-to-pull-off/

EVERYONE thinks Manning would be a great fit. If he is indeed on the market, it is going to be one hell of a haul for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
EVERYONE thinks Manning would be a great fit. If he is indeed on the market, it is going to be one hell of a haul for him.

For some reason, the last blast of talk I got on the subject was considering whether the Colts would just give up and cut him, which I found baffling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)

I dunno...I think it will take at least one 1st rounder, but I think the $24 million cap number (or whatever it is) will limit the number of suitors.

The question is just how badly do the Colts want to move him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
For some reason, the last blast of talk I got on the subject was considering whether the Colts would just give up and cut him, which I found baffling.

With what came out of the Jets camp already this winter, and now this about the Niners, I would bet there are at least five more teams that aren't commenting publicly who would make a run at Peyton to consider.

There would be no way Manning gets cut. Someone out there would give up real players for him without a doubt. We all have seen how good the guy is. We aren't talking about a 40 year old Favre here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
With what came out of the Jets camp already this winter, and now this about the Niners, I would bet there are at least five more teams that aren't commenting publicly who would make a run at Peyton to consider.

I could see all these teams go after him for whom it would make sense:

Redskins

Seahawks

Cards (depending on what they still owe Kolb guaranteed)

49ers

Jets

Raiders (although don't have the 1st round picks to trade)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I could see all these teams go after him for whom it would make sense:

Redskins

Seahawks

Cards (depending on what they still owe Kolb guaranteed)

49ers

Jets

Raiders (although don't have the 1st round picks to trade)

Dolphins

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
One thing you ought to take from the 49ers this year is that teams that seem like they're really far away might well be closer than you think. The 49ers looked lost last year, and spectacular this year.

Jim Harbaugh is a much better head coach than Mike Singletary. 49ers have had some nice players for awhile. Team underachieved greatly under Singletary.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
So many rumors about Peyton Manning joining the 49ers. Also, looked for the 49ers to move up in the draft to select Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright.

I don't see how the 49's could trade up, and still trading for Manning. Something would have to go to Indy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
I don't see how the 49's could trade up, and still trading for Manning. Something would have to go to Indy.

Yup. The only way that could happen is if the Colts cut Manning on March 8 when he is due his huge bonus. In a trade, you are gonna have to give the Colts several 1st round picks.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
So many rumors about Peyton Manning joining the 49ers. Also, looked for the 49ers to move up in the draft to select Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright.

Where are you getting the rumors? Talk radio out there? I looked on webzone and the forum you sent me but didn't see much.....

if you know a good sports talk station out there let me know.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Where are you getting the rumors? Talk radio out there? I looked on webzone and the forum you sent me but didn't see much.....

Right here on Soxtalk. By SOXOBAMA. :D

San Fran sports station XTRA 860 AM. Mike & Mike were talking this morning about how Manning might end up in S.F.

Also there has been talk on the NFL network about it as well.. I also followed twitter for any NFL sources for news.

checkout the 49ers messages boards for a lot of info.

Since we are just tossing rumors out there:

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23

Three different people at Senior Bowl mentioned Stevie Johnson and the Bears in same sentence. Hes been working on new deal with Bills

Johnson is represented by same agent (C.J. LaBoy) as Bears receiver Earl Bennett, who got a sweet four-year, $18 mil contract.

Since we are just tossing rumors out there:

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23

Three different people at Senior Bowl mentioned Stevie Johnson and the Bears in same sentence. Hes been working on new deal with Bills

Johnson is represented by same agent (C.J. LaBoy) as Bears receiver Earl Bennett, who got a sweet four-year, $18 mil contract.

Johnson would be huge for the Bears.. If the Bears can add a few key pieces like Johnson, have a solid draft and Cutler stay healthy, I think that the Bears can overtake the Packers.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

this is the way, I hope the 49ers draft

1st pick Kendall Wright WR Baylor

2nd pick Chandler Jones OLB Syracuse

3rd pick Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin

4th pick Jeff Fuller WR Texas AM

5th pick Cliff Harris CB Oregon

6th pick Jerry Franklin ILB Arkansas

Would love to hear how you would like your fav team to draft

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
Johnson would be huge for the Bears.. If the Bears can add a few key pieces like Johnson, have a solid draft and Cutler stay healthy, I think that the Bears can overtake the Packers.

Isn't Stevie Johnson known for drops?