Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
this is the way, I hope the 49ers draft

1st pick Kendall Wright WR Baylor

2nd pick Chandler Jones OLB Syracuse

3rd pick Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin

4th pick Jeff Fuller WR Texas AM

5th pick Cliff Harris CB Oregon

6th pick Jerry Franklin ILB Arkansas

Would love to hear how you would like your fav team to draft

Mock drafting all the way to the 6th round? Impressive

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Here's one version of the drop stat line last year. No one seems to mind Dwayne Bowe being near the top.

The thing is, both those guys are playmakers so it makes the drops a little more bearable. Roy and Cutler just didn't seem to have it, even when he was open it didn't seem like they were on the same page.

The future of the Bears is being placed in the hands of Phil Emery, who has been chosen to be the team's new general manager.

Emery will succeed Jerry Angelo, who was fired after an 11-year run.

Emery once worked for Angelo with the Bears as a regional scout. He was hired by Mark Hatley in 1998 and retained by Angelo when he took over in 2001.

Emery was offered a promotion to be the Falcons' director of college scouting in 2004 by then-Falcons' personnel director Tim Ruskell, and the Bears gave Emery their blessing to take the job. He joined the Chiefs in 2009 and has overseen their drafts as well.

Among the players he has had a hand in drafting have been Brian Urlacher, Rex Grossman, Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Eric Berry.

"He's one of the hardest workers I've ever been around," Chiefs general manger Scott Pioli said. "I can't overemphasize the hard working part. He's outstanding at his job. Detailed, meticulous, organized."

Before joining the Bears, Emery was a college strength coach.

Emery was chosen over Patriots director of pro personnel Jason Licht, who was the Bears' other finalist for the position. Other interviewees including Chargers director of player personnel Jimmy Raye, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Ruskell.

The new general manager will have control over the 53-man roster and also will decide if the team should extend the contract of Lovie Smith after the 2012 season.

Trib

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
He is a product of the Bears system... more of the same. I just hope better than JA. Hard not to be I guess.

I always take anything Zach Zaidman says with a grain of salt, but he said on the Score a few minutes ago that people that have talked with Emery say the man who walked into Halas Hall is much different (and better) than the man who left. He's learned a lot from the last 8 years outside the Bears organization.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
I always take anything Zach Zaidman says with a grain of salt, but he said on the Score a few minutes ago that people that have talked with Emery say the man who walked into Halas Hall is much different (and better) than the man who left. He's learned a lot from the last 8 years outside the Bears organization.

Yeah me too about Zach. However, we can only hope that is the case. I just hate how the Bears do stuff like this.. much like how the Sox constantly have bring in people who were part of their system...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
drops & unsportsmanlike conduct penalties

It would be tough for me to like the guy after the cheap-shot that tore Eric Berry's ACL this year.

Oh, and Emery is so typical Bears. Just bring in one of the "good 'ol boys" that used to be with the organization. They would hire my least favorite of the outside candidates.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
It would be tough for me to like the guy after the cheap-shot that tore Eric Berry's ACL this year.

Oh, and Emery is so typical Bears. Just bring in one of the "good 'ol boys" that used to be with the organization. They would hire my least favorite of the outside candidates.

Idonno I had Emery number 2 after the Giants guy. The Patriots guy supposedly doesn't do much anything at all in the draft decisions and the last few Patriot drafts/signings havent been very good anyways. The Chargers are also a team that recently haven't added many impact players too. Don't need to explain Ruskell.

@BobMcGinn

Bob McGinn

Phil Emery is one of the finest evaluators of college f-ball players that I have been privileged to interview. The @Bears hired a good man.

(McGinn is a Packers beat writer, one of the better respected journalists)