Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
@BobMcGinn

Bob McGinn

Phil Emery is one of the finest evaluators of college f-ball players that I have been privileged to interview. The @Bears hired a good man.

(McGinn is a Packers beat writer, one of the better respected journalists)

Plus it gets Emery away from the OCD horror that is Scott Pioli.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just glad this GM search is over and now we can move on to improving this football team. If Ruskell is indeed let go, then that's even better news. I'm excited as ever for the draft now, especially after all the praise Emery has gotten as a talent evaluator. Hopefully it improves our chances of getting Dwayne Bowe also. I've seen some murmurs here and there that they could go after Jermichael Finley too. And there's obviously the Brandon Marshall possibility.

There are 3 glaring needs for the Bears IMO. WR, CB, OL and in that order. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the first round at 19. Luckily, there's 4 WR who are likely 1st rounders and 3-5 CB as well. You'd have to think one of Alshon Jeffery/Michael Floyd/Kendall Wright would be there, or possibly Dre Kilpatrick. I wouldn't mind using a 1st on a LB either if it was a Bama guy, or even Vontaze Burfict.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm just glad this GM search is over and now we can move on to improving this football team. If Ruskell is indeed let go, then that's even better news. I'm excited as ever for the draft now, especially after all the praise Emery has gotten as a talent evaluator. Hopefully it improves our chances of getting Dwayne Bowe also. I've seen some murmurs here and there that they could go after Jermichael Finley too. And there's obviously the Brandon Marshall possibility.

There are 3 glaring needs for the Bears IMO. WR, CB, OL and in that order. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the first round at 19. Luckily, there's 4 WR who are likely 1st rounders and 3-5 CB as well. You'd have to think one of Alshon Jeffery/Michael Floyd/Kendall Wright would be there, or possibly Dre Kilpatrick. I wouldn't mind using a 1st on a LB either if it was a Bama guy, or even Vontaze Burfict.

Yeah, the Bears should be able to target a number of positions with that 1st pick. Dre Kirkpatrick would be ideal, and he may just fall to us if his failed drug test hurts his draft stock. But yeah, I'd be cool with a WR or OL obviously, and even DE or LB if the right guy is there.

Edited by dasox24

I find it amusing Niners fans want Manning, I thought you guys were excited about Alex Smith progression.

Unless you are the Packers, Saints or Patriots Peyton Manning represents a massive upgrade. Instant playoff team, instant Super Bowl contender and if Peyton stays healthy and SF's defense is this good next year they are borderline locks to win it all.

We saw this year how putrid that Colts roster is, that is what Manning has been taking to the playoffs for a decade now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
Unless you are the Packers, Saints or Patriots Peyton Manning represents a massive upgrade. Instant playoff team, instant Super Bowl contender and if Peyton stays healthy and SF's defense is this good next year they are borderline locks to win it all.

We saw this year how putrid that Colts roster is, that is what Manning has been taking to the playoffs for a decade now.

Wait, are you saying any team that acquired Manning is an instant playoff team and SB contender?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 01:56 AM)
Wait, are you saying any team that acquired Manning is an instant playoff team and SB contender?

I think that's what he's saying.

As for his comment about the Colts, let's give them a bit of credit for the last 8 years or so...that roster is getting a little long in the teeth and their better days are behind them, but in their prime I think they were pretty solid, Manning or not.

Hard to dispute the instant playoff team part...I don't think anyone could convince me that any team, if you placed Manning as the starting QB, isn't a playoff team. Now the SB contender, I don't know about that one...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
After seeing Indy's collapse this year, I'd say in most cases he is right.

You're telling me you put Peyton on the Browns or the Rams and they're SB contenders? I don't even think the Colts this year WITH HIM would be that good. That defense was just awful.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
You're telling me you put Peyton on the Browns or the Rams and they're SB contenders? I don't even think the Colts this year WITH HIM would be that good. That defense was just awful.

I think the Rams could be, that defense front 7 actually is pretty talented and with Peyton forcing other teams to pass the ball they could just full out pass rush. The Browns not so much.

Of course not literally every team. Prime Michael Jordan is not going to save this year's Wizards. But I'd say easily more than half the league. Put him on a team like SF? They're SB favorites.

In the NFL there is so little separation between the middle 20 teams, as I said I think in most cases, a team with a healthy Manning is a Super Bowl contender

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Put him on a team like SF? They're SB favorites.

Would you have said that heading into this last offseason? Every season teams come out of nowhere to make the playoffs...I think the score said the last 9 or 10 yrs the 2 seed in the NFC playoffs didn't make the playoffs the year before so yes I believe if he was with the rams or another cellar dweller team maybe they won't be the fav to win the superbowl but you could definitely make an argument for them to make some noise in the playoffs

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
He is a product of the Bears system... more of the same. I just hope better than JA. Hard not to be I guess.

So, if this were the case, you don't like that a company sees that a former employee has taken off and become a great manager with a subsidiary and then bring him back?

That is, for lack of a better term, stupid.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
So, if this were the case, you don't like that a company sees that a former employee has taken off and become a great manager with a subsidiary and then bring him back?

That is, for lack of a better term, stupid.

That is fine and all.. I for one have little faith in the Bears being able to evaluate or develop talent as a whole. I do hope he turns things around esp. in the draft. By all accounts he has learned a lot while with other teams...so its wait and see.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

I think the Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Giants have pretty firmly established that a team can have a terrible defense but still have a defense that can win games and take advantage of opportunities given to them by the offense.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)

The Bears can't wait until the draft to fill some of those needs. They might be able to wait on CB, but they can't wait on WR. They also can't really wait on O-Line, at the very least they need a replacement for Omiyale in the veteran backup role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
I think the Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Giants have pretty firmly established that a team can have a terrible defense but still have a defense that can win games and take advantage of opportunities given to them by the offense.

The Giants defense was really banged up at times but theres no way I would ever consider them a terrible defense. Unless youre talking about a different year, but in recent history their defense has been pretty solid. I know their numbers werent always that good this season but as I said they had been banged up all season. They went into Green Bay and shut down one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
The Bears can't wait until the draft to fill some of those needs. They might be able to wait on CB, but they can't wait on WR. They also can't really wait on O-Line, at the very least they need a replacement for Omiyale in the veteran backup role.

I actually would be ok with bringing back Tim Jennings as our second cornerback, in which case no hurry to grab one in F/A... maybe take one in draft if one worth gambling on falls to us. The OL actually isn't in that bad of a spot too, we have backups in Edwin Williams and Spencer at the OG and Louis can rotate to either tackle spot. The biggest question is LT and I don't know whats available in F/A for that position or if the Bears want to continue with Jamarcus Webb. I think WR is the number 1 position needed to be address before the draft and I wouldn't be against drafting a WR to go with one we sign in F/A.

Add onto that I'd really hope they look into stealing Finley at TE from the Packers too.

Edited by GoodAsGould