Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
Im surprised Carimi is Bear jew as that would make more sense for Matt Bernstein (Bernstein bears and well Bernstein was a fb for Wisconsin)

As for the Carimi pick hes the best lineman that Wisconsin has had since Joe Thomas. The only knock potentially would be that Carimi is most likely not an elite athlete, but the guy has run block for one of the best running teams in the nation.

I also assume Tice knows a ton about him as Tice's son is a back up QB for Wisconsin.

Yeah, but the Bear Jew is a reference from a movie, and Carimi is much more of a Bear Jew than Bernstein.

This has to go down as one of the more popular first round picks in recent Bear history.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Why? The Ravens did the exact same thing and didn't give any good faith picks to Minnesota.

I think the Ravens owe the city of Cleveland a few picks too.

You know, out of good faith.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
I think the Ravens owe the city of Cleveland a few picks too.

You know, out of good faith.

Yeah, giving "good faith" picks away is a good way to lose your job. You simply cannot just give players away because that team failed to pull the plug on a deal before their pick came up. Nobody missed out on a player they wanted anyway.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/29/car...d-to-be-a-bear/

CHICAGO (WSCR) After hours of waiting, Gabe Carimi heard his name announced as the 29th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. And the 6’7″ 314-pound, Cottage Grove, WI native couldn’t be more excited to be headed to Chicago.

“I thought this would be the best situation for me to have a great career with a great organization, with a great fan base,” Carimi said on the Mully and Hanley Show. “I mean honestly, this is where I wanted to be, I wanted to be a Bear.”

And not only did the Bears also want Carimi to be part of one of the league’s charter franchises, it seems as if Carimi to the Bears was destined to happen.

“I was actually born in Lake Forest, Illinois,” Carimi said. “I’m actually coming back home.”

Although he grew up a Packers fan, Carimi now admits he can see how wrong he was all those years as jokingly described it as one of the “worst decisions” of his life.

Carimi started 49 games over his four-year career, at the University of Wisconsin, on a team that won a lot of games based on their toughness and physicality.

“I’m hoping to bring a physical presence to the offensive line, which they already have,” he said. “And just keep bringing that Bear-toughness, in Bear Nation.”

Much of Carimi’s job as a Bear will be to keep quarterback Jay Cutler upright and able to make plays, and he doesn’t foresee it taking him too long to start doing just that.

“I definitely think I’ll be able to come in and help out immediately,” Carimi said.

And knowing the added protection he just received, it didn’t take Cutler too long to welcome his newest body guard to the organization.

“He sent me a text,” Carimi said. “He was one of the first people to text me and congratulate me, and I sent him a text back saying ‘I’m so happy to block for you, and I’m going to give you all the time you can ask for, and work my buns off for you.’”

Carimi isn’t only excited to play for Cutler, but he’s excited and ready to help the Bears reach their ultimate goal, and he wanted to make sure the fans knew exactly how he felt.

“I’m pumped to be a Bear,” he said in his message to the fans. “You’re going to have a hard working guy, and you know, we are going to bring this team to a Super Bowl during my years there becuase I’m planning on having a long career with you guys.”

He'll fit in just fine...

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't know how anyone watches it. BORING.

I concur. I even kept watching the Sox game with Tony Pena pitching instead of watching the draft. Following the draft on Twitter last night was awesome though, get all the updates you need without watching all the BS.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't know how anyone watches it. BORING.

Up until last year, I used to attend a buddy's yearly Draft Party, and it was a f***ing blast. Drinking games based on what was said, great food, just an all around good time.

The drinking rules were hilarious.

Now, it is ruined.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I concur. I even kept watching the Sox game with Tony Pena pitching instead of watching the draft. Following the draft on Twitter last night was awesome though, get all the updates you need without watching all the BS.

When it hit 8-0 I watched some special on the Romanovs off of my DVR and then played Playstation. I wasn't watching the whole draft for the two second thing I wanted to find otu.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Up until last year, I used to attend a buddy's yearly Draft Party, and it was a f***ing blast. Drinking games based on what was said, great food, just an all around good time.

Now, it is ruined.

I do this with the NBA draft. Good Times.

Although NFL players were being welcomed back to team facilities this morning because of Judge Susan Nelson’s injunction to end the lockout, that is changing this afternoon.

ESPN is reporting that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has granted a temporary stay of the injunction and reinstated the lockout, meaning players will now be told to hit the road, and doors to team facilities are being locked this afternoon.

Michael Silver of Yahoo reported this afternoon that NFL players were bracing for a ruling from the Court of Appeals that would give the owners an “administrative” stay, meaning the lockout would be back on at least through the weekend.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Although NFL players were being welcomed back to team facilities this morning because of Judge Susan Nelson’s injunction to end the lockout, that is changing this afternoon.

ESPN is reporting that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has granted a temporary stay of the injunction and reinstated the lockout, meaning players will now be told to hit the road, and doors to team facilities are being locked this afternoon.

Michael Silver of Yahoo reported this afternoon that NFL players were bracing for a ruling from the Court of Appeals that would give the owners an “administrative” stay, meaning the lockout would be back on at least through the weekend.

Owners are such d-bags. More than 50% of NFL players after their playing days have horrible lives because of injuries, lack of medical insurance, money issues (this is their own fault though), there is no way players should have to take a pay cut. Yeah, it's probably ridiculous that Manning earns like $20 million, but he is the rare breed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)

Now, it is ruined.

Same here. We'd have a get together every year - grill, drink, games outside etc...After the first round attention shifted greatly towards the "party" and that is when we were allowed to invite girls over if we wanted. It really was an awesome all day affair.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Owners are such d-bags. More than 50% of NFL players after their playing days have horrible lives because of injuries, lack of medical insurance, money issues (this is their own fault though), there is no way players should have to take a pay cut. Yeah, it's probably ridiculous that Manning earns like $20 million, but he is the rare breed.

Sounds like the report is bogus. I can't find it anywhere other than the forum I read it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
I hope that they draft a guard/center or a WR next.

Kreutz was an All-American and was drafted round 2.

They'll be very good Guards/Centers in round two.

WR? Not as much talent-wise.

Theres a lot of D linemen, LB's and Db's left on the board as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
What are the chances that Austin falls to the Bears?

On ESPN, Kiper has the Bears picking Austin, while McShay has him going #39 to TEN. SI's Don Banks has him #36 to DEN.

So I guess, it's unlikely but possible?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
What are the chances that Austin falls to the Bears?

I really think the Bears need to trade up for him since I doubt he gets down to 62. If you draft him, you have solved two of the biggest holes on the teams with two uberly talented players.

Of course, that is assuming Angelo actually knows how tom consummate a trade during the draft.

Might be one round too early, but I wouldn't mind the Chiefs using their second 3rd rounder on Mark Herzlich. He has the tools to succeed and he's the kind of guy that you just know will be an awesome teammate and player for any organization. I'd love to be able to cheer for him on my team. Great character guy would fit right in with the new direction Pioli & Co have taken the team in. Either way, I hope some team reaches a bit and takes him tonight

Jerry Angelo f***ed up (as usual and expected) but Baltimore can cry me a f***ing river with that mock indignation of theirs. First of all the trade was never official, and it didn't happen, so where do they get off expecting to get something and the Bears got nothing? That's what a "trade" is, the Bears didn't pick 26th, they picked 29th. It was a trade that fell through, which happens who knows how many times every draft. Baltimore could've turned in their card when they saw time running out, but they didn't. They should know, they did the exact same thing to Minnesota one year. What did Minnesota get for that? Nothing.

edit: yeah, so this was already said, maybe I should read the whole thread next time hmm?

Edited by lostfan