Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
i really dont think they will as bad as you think. martz had to abandon the run, it just wasnt there. ripping martz for the pass/run diff is kind of stupid

The Bears would have looked much better if not for 3-4 dropped passes, two pass interferences that were not called, and a punt return that was called back on a "hold" that occurred when the Bears and Packers werent even touching each other.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
More than fishy. i watched that play 5 times, no Bears were touching the Packers when the "hold" occurred.

Apparently it was the jam on the gunner and it occured right away. I haven't seen the replay enough but I've heard that you can only see it in a real time replay but supposedly it did occur. Real cool play though, too bad it was wasted.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
Apparently it was the jam on the gunner and it occured right away. I haven't seen the replay enough but I've heard that you can only see it in a real time replay but supposedly it did occur. Real cool play though, too bad it was wasted.

It was indeed there on the real-time replay, ah the beauty of DVR.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
Being a non-Bears, non-Packers fan, I don't think you can blame Martz either. The run simply wasn't there. They were getting stuffed. The pass was there. Cutler made some mistakes, the O-Line made some pass blocking mistakes and the WR's made mistakes.

Fact of the matter is, this is a game that falls on Jerry Angelo. You didn't address the OL, CB position or WR position when you had the money to. In fact, you lied to Bears fans and said the dumbest thing I've ever heard a GM say with that much money under the cap and with as big and glaring holes as the Bears, "Who else is out there that's better?" Hell, I'm better. Anyone you would've picked up is better. By simply picking up Carimi and calling it a day on the O-Line, by simply picking up Roy and calling it a day for the WR and not even bothering to improve the CB position just baffles me. But I'm sure he'll get another DLineman soon.

If you want a coaching staff to blame for this one...I think you look at the preparation. Cutler came into the game...off. He had time to throw but he was totally out of sync. His INT's came on poor throws. His WR's weren't where he expected him to be. And when he hit one or two in the hands they'd drop it.

Similarly, the Packers came out and really outdid that defense which performed better against them 3 times last year. They had some big running lanes early and they weren't forcing turnovers until they were desperate. Rogers didn't really take the beating you need to deliver to him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)

I only watched the endzone angle and of course I deleted it off my DVR already.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Holy crap. How many close games can there be? I've got the NFL Sunday Ticket and trying to choose which final minute to watch is about to make my head explode.

Yeah, that's why RedZone channel wins.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
the optimist in me says 1-2 isnt a death sentence, and it can be overcome. but this has to be the bottom, they have to take the next step.

The pessimist in me sees this as what the bears are.

I said 1-2 after the 1st three would be fine. Sadly, when the Bears win the 1st one, we get carried away. Obviously, just like last year, they are going to reign Martz in and run an offense more suited for the awful receiving corps.

It drives me nuts that we get Martz instead of our best receiver, Greg Olsen.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
The Bears would have looked much better if not for 3-4 dropped passes, two pass interferences that were not called, and a punt return that was called back on a "hold" that occurred when the Bears and Packers werent even touching each other.

I will say, despite the fact that the Bears lost fair-and-square, that the no-call on the Hester pass interference was a crock of s*** and completely obvious.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
I honestly don't know the rules well enough to make that call.

I'm guessing it was a no call because it was an accident

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

Dude tripped and fell, and then took down Hester with him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm guessing it was a no call because it was an accident

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Dude tripped and fell, and then took down Hester with him.

I think that's only true if both are looking for ball and get tangled up, Woodson had no idea where it was and wasn't tangled feet he pretty much tripped him on purpose or not even announcers were pretty open about it being pass interference. Otherwise a corner could always just trip in front of receivers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
I don't want to hear s*** about the run-pass ratio. What do you want to do that for? So you can take another 6 attempts to have 20 rushing yards total on the game?

The Packers' secondary is brutal anyways, with the exception of Woodson. If you keep trying to pound the ball you were going to get stuffed anyways.

If you take a look around the League, the premier offenses could give a s*** about handing the ball off the the running back anymore. The Packers didn't hardly bother to run all year last season. The Patriots are content to throw 20 straight times.

The difference is, if you can't or won't run the ball, you need to throw a lot of high-percentage short passing plays to receivers capable of YAC. Slants, screens, quick outs, etc. Otherwise, your QB is going to get hammered because of the DLine knowing you are throwing almost every down.

Unfortunately, Knox and Hester are either in the wrong place or don't have the hands in order to make this sort of offense work.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
I think that's only true if both are looking for ball and get tangled up, Woodson had no idea where it was and wasn't tangled feet he pretty much tripped him on purpose or not even announcers were pretty open about it being pass interference. Otherwise a corner could always just trip in front of receivers.

Woodson had his back turned to the play and impeded the progress of Hester towards the ball.

Problem is, the throw went towards the middle of the field, and the refs probably just figured it was uncatchable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
Unfortunately, Knox and Hester are either in the wrong place or don't have the hands in order to make this sort of offense work.

And Cutler can't put the ball on their hands reliably enough, especially on tough routes.