Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I actually think Angelo does a decent enough job with what he has to work with...

But you're right. There's probably 3 cities that can support a Cowboys-style megapalace. New York could but they go the 2 team route instead. Dallas can. Chicago can.

Instead we have the smallest stadium in the NFL.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I actually think Angelo does a decent enough job with what he has to work with...

But you're right. There's probably 3 cities that can support a Cowboys-style megapalace. New York could but they go the 2 team route instead. Dallas can. Chicago can.

I couldnt disagree more. One of his jobs is the draft, and it has been absolutely embarrassing save a few gems for the past 10 years. Arent we going on like 3 straight seasons where a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick was released? Just awful.

Plus, neglecting the line and wide recievers like he has is borderline criminal. He gets Jay and surrounds him with nothing. "Hey everyone, look at my shiny new car! I wont buy gas, and I am going to park it in the middle of the highway, so it might get beat up pretty bad and I cannot use it. But isnt my new car nice?"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
I think he's done a decent job. We've gotten to a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game in the last handful of years. There are probably, what, 5-6 other GMs who can make that claim?

I think Lovie Smith is the one that's doing a good job. He's got to a Super Bowl and NFC Championship the last 5 years despite the fact that Jerry Angelo supplies him with s*** on offense and with what was last year (and is this year) an aging defense (good, but aging) which lacks depth.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

My POV on that is that yes, Angelo constantly supplies a weak offense, but he constantly supplies an above average defense. The only year that really wasn't true was when they lost their HOF middle linebacker to injury in game 1.

Winning football games with an intelligent, bend but don't break defense is not a sexy thing in this league, but it is more effective than almost anyone is willing to admit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Winning football games with an intelligent, bend but don't break defense is not a sexy thing in this league, but it is more effective than almost anyone is willing to admit.

Inaccurate. You'd be hard-pressed to find a knowledgeable fan who had a problem admitting that the Bears defense has been damn-solid over the past decade. The Bears have made their runs, they've made the playoffs, hell a Super Bowl, but the same problem has persisted. Instead of shooting to the next-level, you know, where the Packers/Saints/Patriots have resided for some time despite numerous personnel changes, they have stayed exactly the same... cover-2, bend don't break effective defense and an offense that is utterly pathetic. Yes, it's been a successful run for the Bears and certainly better than the 90s, but that doesn't mean they've capitalized on the possibilities.

The fact remains, the Bears are 25+ years removed from their last Superbowl win. That's a long f***ing time.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Inaccurate. The Bears have made their runs, they've made the playoffs, hell a Super Bowl, but the same problem has persisted. Instead of shooting to the next-level, you know, where the Packers/Saints/Patriots have resided for some time despite numerous personnel changes, they have stayed exactly the same... cover-2, bend don't break effective defense and an offense that is utterly pathetic. Yes, it's been a successful run for the Bears and certainly better than the 90s, but that doesn't mean they've capitalized on the possibilities.

The fact remains, the Bears are 25+ years removed from their last Superbowl win. That's a long f***ing time.

GMAB man, the "Next level" with the Packers/Saints? Patriots I'll grant you but they have one incredible QB that keys the whole thing, and still they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, so by your own standard there's something wrong. The Saints had that Conference championship run in 2006, then dropped to 7-9 and 8-8 and missed the playoffs the next 2 seasons before finally snapping together their super bowl run. The Packers went 6-10 as recently as 2008, struggled mightily with their offensive line throughout 2009, and frankly nearly missed the playoffs in 2010.

The only thing different here with the Bears compared to those 2 teams is that the Bears didn't finish the Super Bowl win. All 3 of those teams have had down/inconsistent seasons, playoff runs that ended in disappointment, etc., the only difference is a Super Bowl win.

Where are the quality players that Angelo has drafted on defense? Briggs, Tillman...and? Without inheriting HOF talent at MLB, this would be an average defense at best. He's failed to find good CB's and safeties outside of Tillman. He keeps taking d-line guys, but other than some early success for Harris, what does he have to show there?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
GMAB man, the "Next level" with the Packers/Saints? Patriots I'll grant you but they have one incredible QB that keys the whole thing, and still they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, so by your own standard there's something wrong. The Saints had that Conference championship run in 2006, then dropped to 7-9 and 8-8 and missed the playoffs the next 2 seasons before finally snapping together their super bowl run. The Packers went 6-10 as recently as 2008, struggled mightily with their offensive line throughout 2009, and frankly nearly missed the playoffs in 2010.

The only thing different here with the Bears compared to those 2 teams is that the Bears didn't finish the Super Bowl win. All 3 of those teams have had down/inconsistent seasons, playoff runs that ended in disappointment, etc., the only difference is a Super Bowl win.

Dude, the Packers have been a consistent Super Bowl threat for like 15+ years. Even through personnel changes. They are run properly. Sure, you are going to have down years, but they've found different ways to win.

The Bears have been one f***ing note (when competing) for a very long time. All D, no O. And nothing has changed. That's an organizational problem.

The Bears haven't had a receiver with 1,000 yards since Marty Booker in 2002. Nine f***ing years? That's complete ignorance of a problem and trying to sell fans on Hester/Muhammed/Williams as legit #1's when they either don't know the position are are WELL past their primes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
Dude, the Packers have been a consistent Super Bowl threat for like 15+ years. Even through personnel changes. They are run properly. Sure, you are going to have down years, but they've found different ways to win.

The Bears have been one f***ing note (when competing) for a very long time. All D, no O. And nothing has changed. That's an organizational problem.

Because they had Brett Favre for 15+ years. End of discussion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Would it then be fair to say the Bears have been a super bowl threat for Lovie's entire tenure?

No, because they certainly haven't, that's my entire point. They have failed to address the offense continually. After that Super Bowl appearance in 2006, they could have addressed their needs. Instead, they did nothing.

And anyone who wants to tell me the Bears, with their injury luck and strength of schedule last year, deserve credit for beating a 7-9 Seahawks team to get to the NFC Championship Game can just skip that. If they'd had an offensive line and one WR worth a damn, they could have wont he Super Bowl.

Then, with tons of cap room and players available, the Bears ignored the same glaring holes and have their franchise QB on the brink of breaking as we watch the same team play good defense with a complete lack of offensive ability.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
More often than not, not every year. Those opportunities were squandered by Angelo's terrible drafting and refusal/inability to address the offense.

This is my entire point. One or two correct personnel moves to address the O-Line, and giving Cutler one legit WR, and we'd be talking about a team with much higher upside.

I said, the Bears have been good the past decade. They have completely ignored their glaring holes continually which kept them from becoming a legitimate Super Bowl contender year in and year out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

If Angelo could have provided at least a competent offense to go with the stellar defense, the Bears would have won at least two SB's in the last decade if not more. He should have been fired about 3 years ago for failing to address the o-line and receiver situations (along with Lovie, who is absolutely worthless and one of the worst game managers in the league).

It's pretty simply IMO. We're one of the best football markets in the country. Yet we've consistently gotten s*** for DECADES on the offensive side of the ball. Completely inexcusable. I'm tired of defending this franchise as one that actually cares about winning. They don't. They want their fans to think that they care, but they don't. They keep up the defense + running the ball = success mantra because it sounds good to claim that we're one of the top franchises for wins the last decade. But anyone that watches the games knows that the Bears have been incredibly lucky to have won anything under the Angelo-Lovie regime. HOF MLB, perennial pro-bowl OLB, one of the best field goal kickers in history, and the best return man in history. Remove those guys and we're the Lions. f***ing pathetic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
This is my entire point. One or two correct personnel moves to address the O-Line, and giving Cutler one legit WR, and we'd be talking about a team with much higher upside.

I said, the Bears have been good the past decade. They have completely ignored their glaring holes continually which kept them from becoming a legitimate Super Bowl contender year in and year out.

When he wasn't ignoring them, Angelo was drafting guys like Inglesias and Bauzin and Wolfe in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
If Angelo could have provided at least a competent offense to go with the stellar defense, the Bears would have won at least two SB's in the last decade if not more. He should have been fired about 3 years ago for failing to address the o-line and receiver situations (along with Lovie, who is absolutely worthless and one of the worst game managers in the league).

It's pretty simply IMO. We're one of the best football markets in the country. Yet we've consistently gotten s*** for DECADES on the offensive side of the ball. Completely inexcusable. I'm tired of defending this franchise as one that actually cares about winning. They don't. They want their fans to think that they care, but they don't. They keep up the defense + running the ball = success mantra because it sounds good to claim that we're one of the top franchises for wins the last decade. But anyone that watches the games knows that the Bears have been incredibly lucky to have won anything under the Angelo-Lovie regime. HOF MLB, perennial pro-bowl OLB, one of the best field goal kickers in history, and the best return man in history. Remove those guys and we're the Lions. f***ing pathetic.

Hey look... someone with reading comprehension understands my point instead of blindly defending the Bears.

Nice post.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
We're actually talking past the Favre era into the Rodgers era, which you have to give them credit for...

True. Once again, a star QB links the two eras though. That's the biggest problem with the Bears, their well-documented lack of a signal caller. A good QB would have helped cover the other offensive problems.

Look at the Colts. Manning willed average teams to the playoffs every year.

The Ravens are similar to the Bears, that they have had outstanding defenses but the offense has slowed them down. They did win the one Super Bowl but that's it.