Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
For some reason? The dude was pegged as his replacement for 4 seasons and despite being one of the best QB's in the game's history he was run out of town. I think he's got every right to be angry/jealous.

He was "run out of town" after trying to dick the Packers around during Unretirement Saga Part III

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
He was "run out of town" after trying to dick the Packers around during Unretirement Saga Part III

I don't care to support everything the guy did, but (1) I think 90% of that s*** was drummed up by ESPN by having Rachel Nichols/Ed Warne report on everyone one of Favre's bowel movements in April, and (2) I think GB should have bent over backwards for a guy that maintained their relevance for the better part of two decades and who is one of the greatest players to play the game. Saga or not, IMO you put up with it until it becomes clear that he just can't play anymore and you have to make a move.

You can't hire a guys' replacement near the end of his career and expect him to be all happy and jovial about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I don't care to support everything the guy did, but (1) I think 90% of that s*** was drummed up by ESPN by having Rachel Nichols/Ed Warne report on everyone one of Favre's bowel movements in April, and (2) I think GB should have bent over backwards for a guy that maintained their relevance for the better part of two decades and who is one of the greatest players to play the game. Saga or not, IMO you put up with it until it becomes clear that he just can't play anymore and you have to make a move.

You can't hire a guys' replacement near the end of his career and expect him to be all happy and jovial about it.

You couldnt be more wrong. How could you not expect the Packers to not have a plan for after Favre?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)

You can expect a guy to quit dicking your franchise around year after year over whether or not he's actually going to play for you or, if he continues to dick around, say "see ya."

If Brett hadn't retired in a stream of tears a dozen times, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to his case.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
You couldnt be more wrong. How could you not expect the Packers to not have a plan for after Favre?

I get the Packers have to do what they have to do to continue on, but I don't understand why people think Favre needed to be best friends with Rogers or be 100% perfect in everything he says about the guy. At the end of the day he's the guy that took the reigns from the franchise you helped build in the 90's and 00's.

And SS, yeah Favre didn't handle it well. That's why I don't really want to defend his actions. But IMO when he says he's ready to go, even if that's the day before training camp begins, well, you let him play. He's earned that right. That'd be my view if I were the GM.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
For some reason? The dude was pegged as his replacement for 4 seasons and despite being one of the best QB's in the game's history he was run out of town. I think he's got every right to be angry/jealous.

I think the biggest reason he'd be annoyed/jealous is he never got to have the "see, that's what it's like without Brett Favre" period. Hell, we all expected them to crumble as Bears fans once Favre was gone. They wound up with someone who could go down as even better.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
That's why I don't really want to defend his actions. But IMO when he says he's ready to go, even if that's the day before training camp begins, well, you let him play. He's earned that right. That'd be my view if I were the GM.

The best player plays. Rodgers had usurped Favre as a quarterback at that point, and the incredibly good scouts who worked for the Pakcers knew it. The Packers STILL gave Favre a chance to play, and he didn't decide by their deadline. They then moved on to Rodgers (possibly later than they could have), and now Rodgers has as many Super Bowl rings as Brett Favre.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
I think the biggest reason he'd be annoyed/jealous is he never got to have the "see, that's what it's like without Brett Favre" period. Hell, we all expected them to crumble as Bears fans once Favre was gone. They wound up with someone who could go down as even better.

I agree.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
The best player plays. Rodgers had usurped Favre as a quarterback at that point, and the incredibly good scouts who worked for the Pakcers knew it. The Packers STILL gave Favre a chance to play, and he didn't decide by their deadline. They then moved on to Rodgers (possibly later than they could have), and now Rodgers has as many Super Bowl rings as Brett Favre.

Favre's last year he led them to a 13-3 season and the NFC Championship game. They lost in overtime by a FG. The following year the packers were 6-10. They might have projected Rogers to be a better player as Favre declined, but there's no way he could have been considered better at that particular time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Favre's last year he led them to a 13-3 season and the NFC Championship game. They lost in overtime by a FG. The following year the packers were 6-10. They might have projected Rogers to be a better player as Favre declined, but there's no way he could have been considered better at that particular time.

Green Bay was 8th in yards gained that 6-10 season and 5th in points. They weren't losing games because of their offense, they were losing them because they were 22nd in points given up. They had a 93.3 passer rating from their QB's, good for 6th in the league and right behind the Colts. They gave up 131 yards a game, and 4.6 yards per carry in the running game (26th in the league). Gave up over 2000 yards on the ground that year.

They lost 10 games because they couldn't stop the run. They then proceeded to get a top 10 pick that they used to draft BJ Raji. BJ Raji has proven fairly adept at stopping the run. Suddenly their weakness is now a strength.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)

Say it with me... Rodgers

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
Green Bay was 8th in yards gained that 6-10 season and 5th in points. They weren't losing games because of their offense, they were losing them because they were 22nd in points given up. They had a 93.3 passer rating from their QB's, good for 6th in the league and right behind the Colts. They gave up 131 yards a game, and 4.6 yards per carry in the running game (26th in the league). Gave up over 2000 yards on the ground that year.

They lost 10 games because they couldn't stop the run. They then proceeded to get a top 10 pick that they used to draft BJ Raji. BJ Raji has proven fairly adept at stopping the run. Suddenly their weakness is now a strength.

You said it so well I can't bother to look up additional reasons why the Packers did not skip a beat going from Favre to Rodgers. Thank you.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
I get the Packers have to do what they have to do to continue on, but I don't understand why people think Favre needed to be best friends with Rogers or be 100% perfect in everything he says about the guy. At the end of the day he's the guy that took the reigns from the franchise you helped build in the 90's and 00's.

And SS, yeah Favre didn't handle it well. That's why I don't really want to defend his actions. But IMO when he says he's ready to go, even if that's the day before training camp begins, well, you let him play. He's earned that right. That'd be my view if I were the GM.

Unfortunately, as a GM you cannot be caught in this position with your pants down, and the GB front office was not. I just dont agree that he earned the right to put his team in that situation, wondering if your QB was going to retire or not and hoping that he doesnt so your team isnt submarined on the eve of training camp. Too much planning goes into a NFL season to allow for that kind of a wildcard for that many years.

And it is hard to blame Nichols/Werner when Favre is doing all of those corny interviews and dragging it out in the media. Lets be honest here, he was a media whore, and still is. He pulled that retirement bit for 6 years, not one, not two, not three. 6. It is really hard to defend anything Brett ever did, he loves the spotlight and shined it on himself as much as he could

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Hey, I can spell it properly now, Kyle.

dont use my real name. kyyle23 is my superhero identity. It is the messageboard equivalent of a lone ranger mask. NOBODY KNOWS MY NAME THAT WAY

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)

I'm not suggesting that RoDgers was a s***ty option. But given what Favre did the prior season, how could you say that RoDgers was going to be the better QB that year?