Buddy Bell gets a promotion

southsider2k5

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Special assignments title also added to Bell's duties.

Roving pitching coordinator Kirk Champion takes over Capra's duties as minor league field coordinator.

Sox announce Buddy Bell promoted to VP, player development, and Nick Capra taking over bell's old title of director of PD

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Nothing like giving guys promotions for the fine job they are doing overseeing what some call the worst farm system in baseball.

Are you really go to blame him for our organization's poor scouting, refusal to go above slot, and complete lack of a Latin presence? I think it's still too early to evaluate him properly. He's simply not had enough talent to work with during his time here.

One thing I like about him is that he actually pushes prospects. Guys that perform well are much more likely to moved to the next level mid-season than under the previous regime. I also think he does a better job of challening older pospects by putting them in more age appropriate leagues.

What could/should Bell have done?

Gone out with his own personal checkbook and scoured the Dominican?

We've brought Santos, Sale, Beckham, Morel, Lillibridge, Viciedo, Reed, DeAza, Axelrod, Kuhn, Flowers, etc., to the majors under his tenure. Guess I have to be willing to overlook Teahen, that was one big miss on his part, advocating for that particular deal.

That's the goal of a minor league system...to promote its players internally and/or trade them for major league ready players.