Sox give out 18 NRI's to spring training

southsider2k5

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Sox invite 18 to spring training, including Ps Bruney, Stults, INFs Dallas McPherson, Rey Olmedo and OF Delwyn Young.

Infielder Tyler Kuhn, who batted .333 at AA and AAA levels, also received an invite to ST.

not a great group of guys to have hope for...

whitesox Chicago White Sox

NEWS: #WhiteSox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with RHP Brian Bruney, LH Leyson Septimo & Eric Stults, catchers...

...Damaso Espino & Hector Gimenez, infielders Dallas McPherson & Ray Olmedo & outfielder Delwyn Young. All eight players in addition...

...to 10 players within the #WhiteSox system, have received non-roster invites to the club’s spring training camp in Glendale, Ariz...

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Full list:

RHP Brian Bruney

LHP Leyson Septimo

LHP Eric Stults

C Damaso Espino

C Hector Gimenez

3B Dallas McPherson

SS Ray Olmedo

OF Delwyn Young

OF Jared Mitchell

OF Jordan Danks

OF Brandon Short

OF Trayce Thompson

RHP Jacob Petricka

RHP Brian Omogrosso

C Michael Blanke

C Josh Phegley

1B Jim Gallagher

2B Tyler Kuhn

I thought Omogrosso was dead.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
not a great group of guys to have hope for...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Wow, that is one serious list of baseball roadkill.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
its going to be a long season..

Have you guys not seen a Spring Training before? Or been familiarized with what these NRI's are used for?

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

The 10 players within the sox's org. invited to ST are longshots, but it will be interesting to watch their development, especially (cont.)

RHP Jacob Petricka, C Michael Blanke, Kuhn, and OFs Jared Mitchell, Trayce Thompson and Jordan Danks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Of the position players, I'd only give McPherson a shot at the roster.

The Sox still don't have a back up 3B, so he could be the guy, unless you think Lillibridge could do that too. Dunno.

Lillibridge at 3B... That scares me. Has he even tried playing 3B before? I think McPherson is the only real 3B we have that could backup Morel. I think Ozzie Martinez has played 3B too, but who knows if he's any good. This whole list is somewhat underwhelming. It'll be nice to see Thompson play, but he's still so far away.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Lillibridge at 3B... That scares me. Has he even tried playing 3B before? I think McPherson is the only real 3B we have that could backup Morel. I think Ozzie Martinez has played 3B too, but who knows if he's any good. This whole list is somewhat underwhelming. It'll be nice to see Thompson play, but he's still so far away.

True, maybe Martinez can play 3B. I hope they give him #13 just as a dig at Guillen.

I hope Tyler Kuhn opens some eyes too.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
True, maybe Martinez can play 3B. I hope they give him #13 just as a dig at Guillen.

I hope Tyler Kuhn opens some eyes too.

Kuhn is a guy who has an outside shot at the roster. And if they trade Thornton, then maybe one of those LHP's. Everyone else is either there for a look, or for filler.

ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

1 #cws job likely goes to INF Osvaldo Martinez but SS Eduardo Escobar, OF Delwyn Young, 1B-OF Jim Gallagher & Jordan Danks cld figure.

Could #whitesox be in 2-Danks formation next year? Jordan set for ST battle for 2 or 3 spots on bench, w/only Flowers & Lillibridge set.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)

1 #cws job likely goes to INF Osvaldo Martinez but SS Eduardo Escobar, OF Delwyn Young, 1B-OF Jim Gallagher & Jordan Danks cld figure.

Could #whitesox be in 2-Danks formation next year? Jordan set for ST battle for 2 or 3 spots on bench, w/only Flowers & Lillibridge set.

its Phil Rogers, I'd take his guesses with a huge pile of salt.

There is zero chance Gallagher sniffs the roster. Of the 2-3 open slots, I think they come down to this group:

Martinez

Kuhn

Escobar

Danks

Lillibridge is competent at 2B and corner OF. Flowers at C, and if necessary 1B. They need a competent backup for 3B, SS, and maybe one more OF (since De Aza and Rios can both cover CF, and Bridge is already available, they may not carry another pure OF).

Martinez and Escobar are middle IF's, not sure if either have played much 3B.

Kuhn has played all infield positions and corner OF.

Danks is purely OF.

If its 2, then my money is on one of Martinez or Escobar, plus Kuhn. If its three, itsDanks, and then two of Martinez/Escobar/Kuhn.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)

Gotta tell ya...it really doesn't scare me all that much. The Elf has more than proven his worth and I really don't have much doubt he'd be fine there actually. He's played every infield position...what makes you think he couldn't play 3rd if need be? He's a playa. I've heard worse ideas...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

The 10 players within the sox's org. invited to ST are longshots, but it will be interesting to watch their development, especially (cont.)

RHP Jacob Petricka, C Michael Blanke, Kuhn, and OFs Jared Mitchell, Trayce Thompson and Jordan Danks.

Why is Jordan Danks still interesting, Mark?

You'd have to think Martinez would be favored over Escobar due to his overall positional versatility...or even Kuhn over Escobar. Better to let Escobar play everyday in the minors and keep trying to get incremental improvements out of that bat, which is looking Caruso-Esteban Beltreish for the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Full list:

RHP Brian Bruney

LHP Leyson Septimo

LHP Eric Stults

C Damaso Espino

C Hector Gimenez

3B Dallas McPherson

SS Ray Olmedo

OF Delwyn Young

OF Jared Mitchell

OF Jordan Danks

OF Brandon Short

OF Trayce Thompson

RHP Jacob Petricka

RHP Brian Omogrosso

C Michael Blanke

C Josh Phegley

1B Jim Gallagher

2B Tyler Kuhn

Damn, Ryan Bukvich spoken for or something?