Peavy ready for bounce back season

southsider2k5

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
How Kenny has kept his job is beyond me.

Dunn.Peavy. Rios.

Those are the kind of baseball players who get a guy fired.

If Reed fails at closer, he also gave away the Sox only closer candidate for this season. Sergio for nothing. Real wise.

Oh I forgot. Ozzie didn't have to play Rios and Dunn so that takes Kenny off the hook. Oz is at fault for playing them.

How Dunn, Peavy and Rios still have a job is beyond me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

Dunn.Peavy. Rios.Those are the kind of baseball players who get a guy fired.

If Reed fails at closer, he also gave away the Sox only closer candidate for this season. Sergio for nothing. Real wise.

Oh I forgot. Ozzie didn't have to play Rios and Dunn so that takes Kenny off the hook. Oz is at fault for playing them.

Danks,Floyd,Rameiez,Pierzynski,Thornton,Contreras,Garcia,Quentin,Jenks,Thome.

Those are reasons that he has done a pretty good job during his tenure here. If you want to be short sighted and only look for a the last few transactions sure he's had a bad run. It may be time for him to go just like Ozzie. Every job in sports has a shelf life. Sooner or later he needs to go. However to only look at a few deals is a poor way to judge someone. Many people talk about sample size. Those are a pretty small sample size.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

Dunn.Peavy. Rios.

Those are the kind of baseball players who get a guy fired.

Please ban Greg...he's clearly trolling here.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Like he is trying to curry favor with the public. "Someone thinks I'm worthy of my job . . ."

That's not the tone I got. I read his quote as him acknowledging that he's partially accountable for the team's poor performance of late and was willing to accept a lesser position if Jerry thought it was best for the team. I see no problem with him stating that to the media. At least he's admitting that he f***ed up, unlike someone else we got rid of.

Also, what's wrong with him wanting to stay in the organization after leaving the GM spot? KW has his faults, both personally and professionally, but he seems like a loyal employee who would put Jerry's best interests first. For f***'s sake, he's taken a ton of abuse from the Guillen family over the past few years and really hasn't discussed it much with the media, which is not the type of person KW is.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
That's not the tone I got. I read his quote as him acknowledging that he's partially accountable for the team's poor performance of late and was willing to accept a lesser position if Jerry thought it was best for the team. I see no problem with him stating that to the media. At least he's admitting that he f***ed up, unlike someone else we got rid of.

Also, what's wrong with him wanting to stay in the organization after leaving the GM spot? KW has his faults, both personally and professionally, but he seems like a loyal employee who would put Jerry's best interests first. For f***'s sake, he's taken a ton of abuse from the Guillen family over the past few years and really hasn't discussed it much with the media, which is not the type of person KW is.

I wonder what is Jerry's best interests. I would imagine there's going to be a time limit for Kenny to fix his own mess. Loyalty on both sides doesn't sell tickets.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)

Maybe because he has so many skeletons in his closet, he doesn't want to go there with Ozzie/Cowley.

Better to ignore and "act like the better man" than to engage the Guillens in public.

And probably there was a direct order or request from JR to let it go and not breathe further life into Ozzie's departure storyline.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
Dunn's 2011 season doesn't mean it was the wrong move to make, it means it was a move that went wrong, and when evaluating a GM that needs to be taken into consideration.

But couldn't you argue, since we're ALWAYS in "win now" mode over the last decade...that Hudson for Jackson was also the best move to compete in 2010, that Hudson couldn't have possibly put up the same numbers as E-Jax did?

That's where you get into, "yes, but...we lost 4 1/2 years of cost-controlled Daniel Hudson," which added to the payroll and put KW in a position where he had to deleverage the salaries of Teahen/Frasor/Quentin/Jackson/Buehrle, etc.

The Santos one...is the head scratcher. Will be interesting to see how that one works out...but at least there's the logic of Addison Reed as your go to option.

Trading Thornton/Crain/Floyd...those would have been more expected from a team in our position. And the Danks extension was the diametrically opposed option of dealing Sergio.

At least we're unpredicatable. There's that.

Other than David Ortiz, how many other full-time DH's are paid over $10 million per year??? I know Posada was as well, last year.

Just curious.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
But couldn't you argue, since we're ALWAYS in "win now" mode over the last decade...that Hudson for Jackson was also the best move to compete in 2010, that Hudson couldn't have possibly put up the same numbers as E-Jax did?

That's where you get into, "yes, but...we lost 4 1/2 years of cost-controlled Daniel Hudson," which added to the payroll and put KW in a position where he had to deleverage the salaries of Teahen/Frasor/Quentin/Jackson/Buehrle, etc.

The Santos one...is the head scratcher. Will be interesting to see how that one works out...but at least there's the logic of Addison Reed as your go to option.

Trading Thornton/Crain/Floyd...those would have been more expected from a team in our position. And the Danks extension was the diametrically opposed option of dealing Sergio.

At least we're unpredicatable. There's that.

Other than David Ortiz, how many other full-time DH's are paid over $10 million per year??? I know Posada was as well, last year.

Just curious.

I wasn't trying to argue about any of that. Just the Dunn move, which was our GM addressing our biggest need with the best available fit on the market.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Please ban Greg...he's clearly trolling here.

The discussion switched back to Kenny so I commented on that. People who think I'm trolling generally want everything to be all rosy on here with nobody disagreeing with them. Why the f*** would a die hard White Sox fan like me troll on a White Sox board? I love the White Sox.