Peavy ready for bounce back season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
Is Loria that bad?

Does he ever shut up and let the team's season play out?

Loria is up there with Clay Bennett for worst owners in sports when it comes to how they treated a fanbase or two.

The Marlins are nothing more to Loria than an art show that produces money. That's why he has all the big signings and the media headline manager. They'll make him money.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
No way this is true.

Our team is expected to be one of the worst in baseball.

It has more to do with the respective divisions than anything. Also, 2 other reasons. 1) no way the Sox play as bad as last year so I don't fall in line with them being one of the worst teams. The Sox aren't going to win the division but aren't going to be awful. 2) I don't see the Marlins pitching staff doing much. Johnson and Buerhle and pray for a hurricane?

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
It has more to do with the respective divisions than anything. Also, 2 other reasons. 1) no way the Sox play as bad as last year so I don't fall in line with them being one of the worst teams. The Sox aren't going to win the division but aren't going to be awful. 2) I don't see the Marlins pitching staff doing much. Johnson and Buerhle and pray for a hurricane?

I don't think the Marlins are going to be that good. But healthy Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Buehrle is a way above average rotation.

Forgot about Zambrano. SP shouldn't be a problem for them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
I don't think the Marlins are going to be that good. But healthy Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Buehrle is a way above average rotation.

The Marlins ought to be a competitive team if they come in prepared and nothing goes wrong. I don't think they're as loaded as the Sox were last year, they have some notable holes (1b, CF) but they also only have the NL to contend with.

I dunno how those personalities are going to mix though. And I wonder if Reyes, Buehrle are going into the season thinking that they're mercenaries hired for 1 year, with how their contracts are structured.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)

Too many health issues throughout the staff for me to trust the rotation. Zambrano is still as big of a question mark. Even if he pitches well which is shaky, he has a whole new group to fight with.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Too many health issues throughout the staff for me to trust the rotation. Zambrano is still as big of a question mark. Even if he pitches well which is shaky, he has a whole new group to fight with.

The Sox under Ozzie generally had a pretty good record of keeping their starting pitchers healthy compared to the rest of the league. Some of that might be the presence of M-56, some of that might be Cooper's throwing program, some of that might be herm, some of that might be Ozzie. If that translates down to Florida, they'll be in pretty good shape...but obviously, Johnson is the key.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
The Sox under Ozzie generally had a pretty good record of keeping their starting pitchers healthy compared to the rest of the league. Some of that might be the presence of M-56, some of that might be Cooper's throwing program, some of that might be herm, some of that might be Ozzie. If that translates down to Florida, they'll be in pretty good shape...but obviously, Johnson is the key.

the Sox haven't had any high injury risk pitchers, well except Peavy...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
the Sox haven't had any high injury risk pitchers, well except Peavy...

How do you define a "High injury risk pitcher" though? NSS has suggested he thinks Danks would count as a high injury risk pitcher due to a high effort delivery. Gavin Floyd has that whole hip thing. The Sox seem to have got as much out of Contreras and Garcia as possible, and those guys seemed to be pretty high injury risk. And we've gone through our fair share of long, lanky guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
How do you define a "High injury risk pitcher" though? NSS has suggested he thinks Danks would count as a high injury risk pitcher due to a high effort delivery. Gavin Floyd has that whole hip thing. The Sox seem to have got as much out of Contreras and Garcia as possible, and those guys seemed to be pretty high injury risk. And we've gone through our fair share of long, lanky guys.

None of those guys have the high risk deliveries like Peavy or Johnson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
None of those guys have the high risk deliveries like Peavy or Johnson.

Were you one of the people who argued earlier this winter that no one could have guessed that Peavy would get seriously hurt when we traded for him? Seriously can't recall who that was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

Herm.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
I agree.

My instinct is that Herm helps guys get back to being healthy but he doesn't control things like pitchers spring training conditioning/throwing schedules or their offday work schedules, or their throwing technique, all those I'd put under Coop.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
My instinct is that Herm helps guys get back to being healthy but he doesn't control things like pitchers spring training conditioning/throwing schedules or their offday work schedules, or their throwing technique, all those I'd put under Coop.

He specifically says he does "prehab", preparing athletes to avoid injuries and recover quickly.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
He specifically says he does "prehab", preparing athletes to avoid injuries and recover quickly.

It's a combination of those two. Coop's handling/teaching of the pitchers and Herms conditioning programs, most of which comes from Andrew's group.

Edited by ptatc