Peavy ready for bounce back season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think anyone is happy that Mark is gone, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many people other than youself that would say the Sox should have outbid the Marlins for him. They overpaid for him, and his contract is so ridiculously backloaded that he'll be difficult to trade without the Marlins eating a lot of money.

Peavy may be great this year, but chances are he will not be the guy he used to be. I'll be happy with him eating a bunch of innings and spotting an ERA around 4. However, I think that'll be a stretch. So, a dream of a "1-2 punch" was dissolved when Peavy had surgery that in all likelihood diminished his capacity as a pitcher.

There was no reason for the Sox to spend $56+ million on a guy in order to have him be part of a "1-2 punch" that doesn't exist anyway.

plus all the projections i've seen have Sale as our best starter anyway. :P

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
You have to keep the both of them no matter the cost. If you are not in it to win, why be in it?

We now have a healthy Peavy, but no Mark to go with him?

That just plain sucks.

I thought we should have kept MB also, but money is what it is- in short supply apparently from some bad decisions. I knew MB was gone just like the Big Hurt was allowed to walk and he was just as much of God to Sox fans, if not more, than Mark was. Frank still had at least three more pretty good years after he left the Sox

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
I thought we should have kept MB also, but money is what it is- in short supply apparently from some bad decisions. I knew MB was gone just like the Big Hurt was allowed to walk and he was just as much of God to Sox fans, if not more, than Mark was. Frank still had at least three more pretty good years after he left the Sox

Frank had also had two straight injury marred seasons with the Sox, and three out of his last five. Plus I would say two good seasons, not three.

I suppose only time will tell, we will see if Peavy can return to his SD days. Lets see if we see the fastball at mid-90s. There were couple of starts where the velocity was there (Cle game) but hopefully with the full offseason, it has allowed Peavy to regain the strength and stamina.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
This has nothing to do with anything, greg. God f***ing damn it, are you really this thick?

All those good responses to my post and then this?

Some of us think the White Sox owner has a ton of money and if he ever sells the team will make a zillion dollar profit as well.

So yes I wanted him to fork over some money to pay Mark.

Cheers to the fans who toast the team with their 10 dollar beers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)

Some of us think the White Sox owner has a ton of money and if he ever sells the team will make a zillion dollar profit as well.

Of course he will make a profit when he sells the team, he only paid $30 million for it. But that doesn't mean he has that cash right now.

You also should note that all of those annual profits are supposedly put right back into the team. They don't get cashed out like with some other teams.

You do realize that the person you are referring to a "owner" (I'm assuming it's JR) owns less than 15% of the team. It's not like the Bulls where he owns controlling interest and can do basically whatever he wants. He is the managing partner of the Sox but needs to go to the whole board to make big decsions like"let's lose money this year."

I've said since 2010, and am sticking with it. 2011, the expectations for Peavy should have been to pitch part or most of the season, and just survive enough to get his arm stretched out again. That's it. Anyone expecting he was going to be back to his old self or even in the territory, have no concept of history.

This is how major arm (or arm-related here) surgeries work, the pattern shows itself over and over again. They miss a season. The next season they are back, putting in innings, but usually are nowhere near their old selves, and can't quite put in the full innings. It is the 2nd season AFTER - 2012 in this case - where you get to see if the surgery really worked. If it did, he starts being effective, and pitching 150+ innings. This is the season to see if he has a career left.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
You do realize that the person you are referring to a "owner" (I'm assuming it's JR) owns less than 15% of the team. It's not like the Bulls where he owns controlling interest and can do basically whatever he wants. He is the managing partner of the Sox but needs to go to the whole board to make big decsions like"let's lose money this year."

In fact, last I knew, JR isn't even the largest single stakeholder, monetarily. He is the representative of the partnership to the outside world.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
In fact, last I knew, JR isn't even the largest single stakeholder, monetarily. He is the representative of the partnership to the outside world.

He has final say on everything. He has all the power. The problem I had with the Buehrle situation wasn't that they didn't offer him a blank contract but that he wasn't offered a contract at all.

Because that has nothing to do with your initial post. You said that it baffles you why Peavy was kept and Buehrle was allowed to walk. It has been explained to you over and over again why that is the case, and it was done again in this thread. Then you changed the point to be that you don't understand why people care about Reinsdorf's money. And then when it was pointed out that nobody cares about his money but that it is understood why he would make those decisions, you respond with the above drivel. I honestly do believe that you're somewhat slow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
He has final say on everything. He has all the power. The problem I had with the Buehrle situation wasn't that they didn't offer him a blank contract but that he wasn't offered a contract at all.

Well, first of all, as I understood it, they did in fact talk with his agent and give an indication of wanting him back. When his agent came back near the end and gave them a chance against Florida's offer, they passed. But that is because it was an offer so far outside of what the Sox or anyone else wanted to go with MB.

Second, no, he does not have all the power. He has the power to do certain things, but the partnership dictates, within some boundaries (who knows what those are), what they have to work with.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
Well, first of all, as I understood it, they did in fact talk with his agent and give an indication of wanting him back. When his agent came back near the end and gave them a chance against Florida's offer, they passed. But that is because it was an offer so far outside of what the Sox or anyone else wanted to go with MB.

Second, no, he does not have all the power. He has the power to do certain things, but the partnership dictates, within some boundaries (who knows what those are), what they have to work with.

Buehrle was never made an offer. He even said he would have stayed for less, and apparently told the White Sox as much. No offer means they didn't want him back. As for JR's power, I believe you are mistaken. I was always told JR had the final say, and Lee Stern seemed to confirm that when promoting a book a year or so ago.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Buehrle was never made an offer. He even said he would have stayed for less, and apparently told the White Sox as much. No offer means they didn't want him back. As for JR's power, I believe you are mistaken. I was always told JR had the final say, and Lee Stern seemed to confirm that when promoting a book a year or so ago.

But how much less? The 2 sides were probably off by a factor of 2. Most people here were saying things like 3/$36 would be ok for Mark, but that might even push the Team's budget. He got nearly 2x that from Florida.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)

MB was never made an offer, that is true, but of course misses the reality and the full picture, as noted by other posters.

As for JR, I am sure he does have final say, WITHIN BOUNDARIES as I noted. So he does not have "all the power", as you stated previously. He can't just go spend big extra money beyond what the team can afford, without getting some sort of approval from the voting partners.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)

At some point you are just being insulting and it is better to say you can't match. The Ventura situation was very similar where when the Mets offered 4/32, the Sox offered 3/15.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
MB was never made an offer, that is true, but of course misses the reality and the full picture, as noted by other posters.

As for JR, I am sure he does have final say, WITHIN BOUNDARIES as I noted. So he does not have "all the power", as you stated previously. He can't just go spend big extra money beyond what the team can afford, without getting some sort of approval from the voting partners.

I'm sure most of that could easily be explained with the the perception that the board goes with whatever JR presents to them, thus giving the impression he has "all of the power". At the end of the day, it still gets run by the board of directors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
I'm sure most of that could easily be explained with the the perception that the board goes with whatever JR presents to them, thus giving the impression he has "all of the power". At the end of the day, it still gets run by the board of directors.

Yet that wouldn't explain why an offer in the Sox price range wasn't extended before he became a FA. They really didn't wan't to pay him anywhere near market value is the real reason, and maybe they are correct, but it will never sit well with me that he was NEVER given an offer, just like the Ventura situation was wrong IMO.

You can't tell me if KW and JR really, really want a guy on the team and he's in the last year of his contract, the prudent thing to do is to never make them an offer and let them go through FA and have them bring back their best offer to see if you feel like matching.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)

If JR wanted a $250 million payroll for 2012, the payroll would be $250 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
And the next year, Jerry Reinsdorf would no longer be chairman of that organization, the other members would vote him out.

Not a chance. BTW, it wouldn't happen, but I was exaggerating to make a point. JR runs the Sox as he sees fit, and there is zero interference. There is complaining and suggestion but at the end, he's gets what he wants.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Not a chance.

This franchise is worth what, maybe $400-$500 million, and takes in enough revenue to be profitable with about a $100 million payroll.

A sudden loss of $150 million 1 year would require ballooning the team's debt from about 10% of team value to about 40% of team value in 1 year. Financially that wouldn't be totally catastrophic, teams do survive with higher debt loads than that, but that dramatic of an erosion of financial position would be more than enough reason for the remaining members to act to remove him.

2-3 years of those kind of losses would put the team in bankruptcy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
at that point he would have generated about a $125ish million cash call.

I'd say he'd be voted out, and agree with Balta. That should tell you something right there.

I doubt it would be that high, but JR's partners have been hit with cash calls in the mid to late 80s and there were nothing done. I even wonder if something could be done unless they could prove he has some diminished mental capabilities. JR put the entire deal together, and while at first he owned at most 10% of the team, its been floated that his percentage has increased significantly over the years. I do think the Fannings own the biggest piece. At least they did.