Peavy ready for bounce back season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
It was on one of the contract sites. He has an automatic rollover and a one year severance if he gets fired.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...ots/?page_id=84

5 years (2005-09)

deal rolls over each year, paying 1 year of severance if terminated

hired 10/2000

VP, Assistant GM Rick Hahn

Director of Baseball Operations Dan Fabian

Director of Player Development Buddy Bell

Director of Amateur Scouting Doug Laumann

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Apparently it probably isn't even enough to sign a Cuban to pitch for Kannapolis, but it would be significant I would think for KW, especially since he probably would have to accept a lesser role with another organization since GM jobs are really limited and he has made some questionable moves lately.

KW knew as I know and you know and everyone else knows, if JR didn't want KW to be the GM, he wouldn't be the GM. So it was pretty obvious how he would respond to KW's offer.

This year that is about $7 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011092...orts/709299659/

The big thing you are missing is if JR accepts Kenny's offer of resigning from his position, his contract is then invalid. Unless it expressly guarantees him a lesser position at the same price as an option, his contract is for his position as general manager. It doesn't matter if he offers to be a scout instead, unless it is expressly spelled out in the deal. At the point where Jerry said yes, it is a new deal and the old one invalid based on the agreement of both of the contracted parties. The rollover clause is irrelevant because overwhelming odds are it is for his job as GM.

Also right. At the point of KW making the offer, it is no longer JR firing him, but rather KW quitting and JR accepting his quitting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Apparently it probably isn't even enough to sign a Cuban to pitch for Kannapolis, but it would be significant I would think for KW, especially since he probably would have to accept a lesser role with another organization since GM jobs are really limited and he has made some questionable moves lately.

KW knew as I know and you know and everyone else knows, if JR didn't want KW to be the GM, he wouldn't be the GM. So it was pretty obvious how he would respond to KW's offer.

I agree with that.

My guess is it was a gesture on the part of Kenny to reassure himself that he was still wanted by Jerry. I am sure he is a little ashamed at how this entire thing with OG has played out after the last 18 months or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011092...orts/709299659/

The big thing you are missing is if JR accepts Kenny's offer of resigning from his position, his contract is then invalid. Unless it expressly guarantees him a lesser position at the same price as an option, his contract is for his position as general manager. It doesn't matter if he offers to be a scout instead, unless it is expressly spelled out in the deal. At the point where Jerry said yes, it is a new deal and the old one invalid based on the agreement of both of the contracted parties. The rollover clause is irrelevant because overwhelming odds are it is for his job as GM.

Not necessarily . He technically didn't offer to resign, and he knew the answer to the question:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/...his-resignation

He offered to switch jobs. If KW told JR he didn't want to be a GM anymore, he, after some questioning by JR, wouldn't be the GM. Its interesting he mentions Hendry. The only difference between KW and Hendry may be Bartman.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
Not necessarily . He technically didn't offer to resign, and he knew the answer to the question:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/...his-resignation

He offered to switch jobs.

Unless it is in his contract that he can do that, his contract would be invalid at the point he leaves the job as GM. Unless you can show me the ability to switch jobs is in his deal, which I really seriously doubt, it is Kenny offering to leave his contracted position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Unless it is in his contract that he can do that, his contract would be invalid at the point he leaves the job as GM. Unless you can show me the ability to switch jobs is in his deal, which I really seriously doubt, it is Kenny offering to leave his contracted position.

Unless you show me his contract specifically says he must be the GM to collect his paycheck, I disagree. I'm very confident it does not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Unless you show me his contract specifically says he must be the GM to collect his paycheck, I disagree. I'm very confident it does not.

So you really believe Jerry would give out a contract without a job description and title in it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
So you really believe Jerry would give out a contract without a job description and title in it?

Yes.

Ask yourself if KW offered to resign if the boss thought he was ineffective, wouldn't the boss have already replaced him if he thought he wasn't good as his job anymore? Jon Corzine offered to "resign" from MF Global if they wanted to go with the CRO's reccommodation that his trading postion be lessened. "Maybe I'm the wrong guy" is what he said, knowing he was the rockstar and would win. KW knew there was no chance JR would say goodbye, but he covered himself just in case.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Yes.

Ask yourself if KW offered to resign if the boss thought he was ineffective, wouldn't the boss have already replaced him if he thought he wasn't good as his job anymore? Jon Corzine offered to "resign" from MF Global if they wanted to go with the CRO's reccommodation that his trading postion be lessened. "Maybe I'm the wrong guy" is what he said, knowing he was the rockstar and would win. KW knew there was no chance JR would say goodbye, but he covered himself just in case.

If you believe that Jerry is in the business of handing out contracts with no job descriptions, there isn't much point to this discussion.

You two are something else.

First of all, we both know Jerry is a tear up the contract and let's work this out like men kind of guy...so what it said in the contract doesn't mean crap unless it really favored whatever Jerry wanted, such as terminating KW's employment. Secondly, we both know Kenny knew Jerry wasn't going to ask him to be a scout until he (Jerry) sees how Kenny's team fares without a lunatic at the helm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
If you believe that Jerry is in the business of handing out contracts with no job descriptions, there isn't much point to this discussion.

Have you ever signed an employment contract? Did it tell you exactly what you had to do everyday? Some do, some don't.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Have you ever signed an employment contract? Did it tell you exactly what you had to do everyday? Some do, some don't.

Every professional job has a job description. If you're going to petty enough to say every single second of every single minute. Of course not, although my current job with the state makes me write down by 15 minute increments on my time sheet.

Do you really know JR that well that you know what his decision's would be. At best it's a calcualted gamble. You really do hate KW enough to assume he's always lying and phony. The peopel I kow that know him think he is very straight forward with them. They say he is arrogant and can be difficult to deal with because he wants everything done his way but you at least you know where you stand with him.They also say he doesn't like the media and will puposely mislead them. Which is pretty obvious to everyone. Before you ask I do not have documented proof that my friends work well with him and respect him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Every professional job has a job description. If you're going to petty enough to say every single second of every single minute. Of course not, although my current job with the state makes me write down by 15 minute increments on my time sheet.

Do you really know JR that well that you know what his decision's would be. At best it's a calcualted gamble. You really do hate KW enough to assume he's always lying and phony. The peopel I kow that know him think he is very straight forward with them. They say he is arrogant and can be difficult to deal with because he wants everything done his way but you at least you know where you stand with him.They also say he doesn't like the media and will puposely mislead them. Which is pretty obvious to everyone. Before you ask I do not have documented proof that my friends work well with him and respect him.

I don't like KW but I don't hate him. Most contracts allow for titles and job descriptions to be amended occassionally, it may only require the employer, but often requires the employee as well. The only contract I ever signed allowed my employer to change my title, but required me to OK any compensation change. So, in essence, mine really didn't contain a title.

If you know where you stand with KW, I would imagine most know where they stand with JR. I'm sure KW knew where he stood with JR since he's known him for almost 30 years and worked closely with him for 11, which is why his offer was nothing but hot air. He knew JR wouldn't just say "OK". Maybe he needed reassurance, maybe he needed his ego stroked, but he knew the answer before he asked the question.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
He offered to become a scout. If JR said no to that perhaps KW takes his GM "resignation" off the table.

Show me. I have only seen that KW offered his resignation. If you prove otherwise, I'll acknowledge and shut up.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Show me. I have only seen that KW offered his resignation. If you prove otherwise, I'll acknowledge and shut up.

Here's Kenny's words.

"I offered it because, listen, I'm a big believer in self-analysis and self-assessment," Williams said about his offer to turn over the GM job to somebody else. "I have a perspective that is one of needing, not wanting, needing this organization to be amongst the best in baseball. Another world championship puts you on the map, in my opinion, as an organization that stands and speaks for something. And that's what I wanted. That's what I still want out of my tenure here."

So when did Williams offer to step down and turn the role over to somebody like, perhaps, assistant general manager Rick Hahn?

"One year ago, six months ago, four months, three weeks ago, two weeks ago," he said, suggesting it happened up to five times.

Williams said he is aware that he also might be the reason there isn't another World Series title on the South Side of Chicago since the club ended an 88-year championship drought in 2005.

"If I'm the cog in the machine that is tripping us up, and my decisions are such now that they don't warrant, or my style doesn't warrant more opportunities to get that done, that's fine," Williams said. "I've been sitting in this chair for a long time anyway.

"I think I've told you guys before that there comes a time where everyone has an expiration date. I can accept that. But I'd still like to be a part of building something and hope that it can transition into that. If it doesn't, it doesn't, and you move on. But for now, I'm a White Sox and I want another banner up there."

Williams said that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf listened to the idea and "didn't like it very much." Yet Williams claimed he tried again.

"I felt compelled to reiterate again that I was completely prepared to vacate the seat," Williams said. "And I even expounded on that by telling him if, in fact, it was his feeling that Ozzie and I needed to work together, I had no problems along those lines. Do I wish certain things had been done differently? And handled differently? Absolutely. But I would have gone into it committed to making it work for the betterment of the Chicago White Sox."

How Kenny has kept his job is beyond me.

Dunn.Peavy. Rios.

Those are the kind of baseball players who get a guy fired.

If Reed fails at closer, he also gave away the Sox only closer candidate for this season. Sergio for nothing. Real wise.

Oh I forgot. Ozzie didn't have to play Rios and Dunn so that takes Kenny off the hook. Oz is at fault for playing them.

Edited by greg775

This whole thing with KW and JR is just to give Williams a BIT of cover with the fans...it's a PR move, pure and simple.

KW wasn't likely to be going anywhere because it wasn't such a secret that Ozzie was on his way out...and that one of them had to go. And it's a lot easier to change your manager than your GM (although JR learned a hard lesson with the LaRussa/Harrelson fiasco decades earlier).

In the end, KW doesn't connect well with fans. He's not one of them. He's nothing like Bill Veeck.

That can be a good thing...it often is. But when times are down, it's certainly not. Because people want to give someone they've grown to feel is "one of them" more time and patience and leeway to fix things in times of struggle. We root for the great comeback story.

Some executives have that ability to communicate and be "loved" by the everyday or average people (or fans in the case of sport). In politics, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush had this "charisma" button they could push. Or there are many leaders in the Obama, Romney or John Kerry mode who project the image of "difference/aloofness" that provides them more thin ice to skate on than more instinctive leaders who know how to get people on their side.

I think we can all agree that in about 90% of his tenure, Williams has done absolutely the wrong thing in terms of PR and perception, even when he was "right." Frank Thomas, for example. He can't seem to keep his foot out of his mouth. And we had 2 guys like that for the last eight years. It was enough, and it was clearly dysfunctional as a business model going forward.

Personally, I hope KW succeeds, because I'm a Sox fan. I've defended most of his moves this past offseason...but, that said, fresh blood in the form of Hahn or any of a number of other candidates out there with a different perspective would suit many of the fanbase just fine. I'd guess very FEW would be upset if KW was out tomorrow, I'll put it that way.