Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
And if there aren't good offers on the table, this deal doesn't suddenly mean we should accept bad offers.

I didn't say we should. But if Kenny had delusions of competing this year, they just realistically took a hit. If he was waffling on a potential fair deal or not, I hope he's considering pulling the trigger.

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I'd rather have Thornton traded and get his salary off the books for peanuts instead of having him be a set-up man making a lot of money for a 80 win team at best. In my opinion, he was the only guy who was likely to be traded that I would have been fine with just a salary dump.

Well, I guess it's not all that surprising you think no one on the roster will improve from last year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
I just don't get this, their defense is going to be atrocious for the next few years.

Good luck keeping any other players besides Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder and Vmart.

As good as those players are, the Tigers won't be able to keep anything resembling a deep team, and as well as they draft with the new CBA in effect it'll be harder for them to grow young players.

I would have to imagine that it puts them out of guys like Cespedes.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
I didn't say we should. But if Kenny had delusions of competing this year, they just realistically took a hit. If he was waffling on a fair deal or not, I hope he's considering pulling the trigger.

"Waffling on a fair deal" is a phrase I never, ever, ever, ever think will be applied honestly to Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Well, I guess it's not all that surprising you think no one on the roster will improve from last year.

Funny you say that, as I do think Morel will be much better and so will Dunn. However, I think the pitching staff will be much weaker overall and the division will be significantly better.

It all depends on how strongly Fielder and Cabrera stick to their convictions. Neither wants to DH and has said so publicly, though someone like Dunn came around in the end and took a DH role that could be seen as a cautionary tale. In the end they'll probably just end up splitting time at DH since it's the sensible thing to do from a defensive standpoint but the thought of Miggy moving back across the diamond is just delightful. They have an entire season to figure out a solution to the logjam of DH/1B types when Martinez returns, so there's little point in speculating on that situation as of now.

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Over the last 3 years, Baseball Info Solutions says Cabrera cost his team 16 runs at 1B. Prince cost 15. So flip a coin.

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Who plays 1B in Detroit? Baseball Info Solutions rated Prince the 6th worst regular 1B in baseball last year -- & Cabrera the 4th worst.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
I can't wait for people to say we need to keep Thornton around in order to try and shut down Prince. I don't think the Sox are the losers here, the real losers in this are the Royals. If the Tigers dominate for the next 3-4 years, then the Royals young studs are going to be too expensive to keep around.

Not only Thornton but now we should have kept Buerhle :lolhitting :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
BNightengale Bob Nightengale

The #Tigers have now guaranteed $338 million for the upcoming years to three 1B/DH types in Fielder, Cabrera and Martinez. #MLB

And that is baseball stupid. V-Mart injury or not, this is a stupid deal.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers view third base as a better alternate position for Miguel Cabrera than left field, source says.

DKnobler DKnobler

Expect the Tigers to play Prince every day at 1B, and to move Cabrera to 3B. And don't be surprised if he's better there than you think.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers had Miguel Cabrera get into shape to play third base, just in case, source says. Fielder 1B/DH, Cabrera 1B/3B/DH.