Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
And the Tigers were a couple wins away from the World Series last year and now feature without question the three best players in the division. And I mean that as in a distance.

But we're talking about the Tigers, who lost in the WS because of defense.

Last year it looked like the White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees would be the only teams worth a damn, with the Red Sox steamrolling everyone.

s*** happens that doesn't make sense (Dunn). It can happen again.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
But we're talking about the Tigers, who lost in the WS because of defense.

Last year it looked like the White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees would be the only teams worth a damn, with the Red Sox steamrolling everyone.

s*** happens that doesn't make sense (Dunn). It can happen again.

Man, they're not going to leave Miguel over there to embarrass himself all year. Fact is the Central sucks and there's not a case for anybody other than Detroit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
Man, they're not going to leave Miguel over there to embarrass himself all year. Fact is the Central sucks and there's not a case for anybody other than Detroit.

And a couple seasons ago, everyone would have said the same thing about Minnesota. And a couple seasons before that, Cleveland.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Impact on our White Sox...thinking KW signs Cespedes now that he has established residency. Kenny can't hold back from countering this move because in his head he is competing with the Tigers in 2012 and 2013....

also can't let Cubs outbid us...they are taking a shot at the sox with their new marketing (baseball is better during the day, our baseball is better)

also can't let the marlins take ozzie, buehrle, and cespedes from us...

i think kenny overpays to get him.

The WORST thing KW could do is try and counter the Tigers right now with anything other than improving the system with high ceiling, cost-controlled talent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
And a couple seasons ago, everyone would have said the same thing about Minnesota. And a couple seasons before that, Cleveland.

Hey, if you want to hold on to the "anything can happen in baseball" card be my guest. This is just ridiculous. You're talking the best pitcher and two of the top, what, 6 offensive forces in baseball in their primes on the same team. This is different than anything the division has had to contend with previously.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
Hey, if you want to hold on to the "anything can happen in baseball" card be my guest. This is just ridiculous. You're talking the best pitcher and two of the top, what, 6 offensive forces in baseball in their primes on the same team. This is different than anything the division has had to contend with previously.

Yeah, Sizemore, Sabathia, Carmona, and Hafner on the same team doesn't measure up to that. Mauer, Morneau, and Liriano/Santana, with Nathan in the pen, doesn't measure up to that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)

It's hyperbole day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Yeah, Sizemore, Sabathia, Carmona, and Hafner on the same team doesn't measure up to that. Mauer, Morneau, and Liriano/Santana, with Nathan in the pen, doesn't measure up to that.

Um, OK? Most of those guys either got hurt or traded. And Carmona doesn't even count, as that's not his real name. Have Verlander, Cabrera or Fielder spent any time on the DL?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
Um, OK? Most of those guys either got hurt or traded. And Carmona doesn't even count, as that's not his real name. Have Verlander, Cabrera or Fielder spent any time on the DL?

How many of those guys had spent time on the DL when their teams had their biggest setups?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
And the Tigers were a couple wins away from the World Series last year and now feature without question the three best players in the division. And I mean that as in a distance.

Its not like they are just adding Fielder. Martinez hit .330 and drove in over 100 runs himself. Obviously, Fielder should be a bit better and if we are Tiger fans we should be thrilled, but face it, a lot can go wrong for the Tigers. If KW swapped rosters right now, you would see the holes. Their infield defense will be horrific. They will be a fun team to watch, but Phil Rogers and whoever else who wants to hand them the division title for the next several years could go back in history and find failures every season.

I'm not saying the White Sox can compete with them. Sale can be better than anyone could imagine, but he won't fill Buehrle's innings in 2012. It just wouldn't surprise me if Detroit wasn't quite as good as advertised. In January of 2006 I doubt Tiger fans had much to be optimistic about as the world champions added Jim Thome and Javy Vazquez. They wound up in the WS 9 months later. I don't think the White Sox will wind up in the WS or necessarily believe the others in the divsion will either, but I'd be shocked if Detroit goes on an AL central dominating run like the mid to late 90's Indians.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)

Was good Cliff Lee around then too or did he still suck?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)

Cabrera and Fielder are getting to the age where all that extra weight is going to become a burden. And Cabrera is always one cuba libre away from being away from baseball for a while.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)

I keep thinking Verlander's arm is set to fall off, but then he just goes out and throws 500 innings with a few no-hitters sprinkled in for good measure.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
So the case against Detroit at the moment is too wait for their fat guys, even though they've always been fat, to turn into Mo Vaughn, or for Miggy to drink himself out of baseball. Nice. If that happens, then fine. As of right now, it's curtains. They'll be plenty of drama in the other two divisions.

Yes, if everything goes right for Detroit and everything continues to go wrong for the other teams in the division, Detroit will win the division. That, of course, happened last season. So there is a solid chance of it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)

Leyland + Verlander is an injury waiting to happen. Are you kidding me?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
So the case against Detroit at the moment is too wait for their fat guys, even though they've always been fat, to turn into Mo Vaughn, or for Miggy to drink himself out of baseball. Nice. If that happens, then fine. As of right now, it's curtains. They'll be plenty of drama in the other two divisions.

Yeah, why bother playing the games. I love you but man you love what other teams do, but if the White Sox did the same thing you would find 1000 reasons to say they are going to suck.

I think the case really is that pitching and defense wins championships. The tigers still aren't real strong in either one. Their offense will carry the division, and that isn't saying much, but I don't think they'll go much further.

dumbtheresachance.gif