Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Yes he's an elite player. I won't dispute that. Currently he is an elite player. He's now being paid one of the top salaries in baseball though, and is being done so for such a long time that he's basically never allowed to age, otherwise he'll be a giant hole blown in the budget.

And on that one, I was responding specifically to fathom's claim that he was one of the top 5 players in baseball, while I can think of multiple players in MLB who I'd rather spend $23 million on for the next couple seasons than him.

Sure, a lot of people would pay Tulowitzki more money than Prince, but it doesn't mean that Tulo is a better hitter than Prince.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Now let's also note though...he's been somewhat inconsistent in his career, bouncing between 6.4 WAR and 3.4 WAR over the last 3 years. Furthermore, he's also moving to a much worse ballpark for hitting, which has been known to affect big bats in different ways. And if Miguel Cabrera winds up spending time at 3b or DH, then Miguel Cabrera's WAR is going to go down because of position adjustments and deplorable defense.

Sure there are what ifs, but there are with every signing. I'm not proclaiming the Tigers to win the 2012 World Series, but let's not pretend this isn't a significant pick-up. I think you are downplaying his addition a bit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Sure, a lot of people would pay Tulowitzki more money than Prince, but it doesn't mean that Tulo is a better hitter than Prince.

Your original statement was "How does adding one of the top five players in baseball not make the Tigers better".

I like how rapidly you backed off onto hitters.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
Sure there are what ifs, but there are with every signing. I'm not proclaiming the Tigers to win the 2012 World Series, but let's not pretend this isn't a significant pick-up. I think you are downplaying his addition a bit.

Because there's plenty of flipping out, "Trade Thornton and Floyd, bring out the tarp, cover the field, I can't watch this any more, it's over. Turn out the lights, bring in the bulldozers and let's turn this place into a parking lot" already.

I just don't get this, their defense is going to be atrocious for the next few years.

Good luck keeping any other players besides Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder and Vmart.

As good as those players are, the Tigers won't be able to keep anything resembling a deep team, and as well as they draft with the new CBA in effect it'll be harder for them to grow young players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Your original statement was "How does adding one of the top five players in baseball not make the Tigers better".

I like how rapidly you backed off onto hitters.

Clearly I wasn't talking about pitchers, cause the first person I said was Pujols/Bautista obviously and would have mentioned Halladay, Lincecum, Kershaw, Verlander etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Clearly I wasn't talking about pitchers, cause the first person I said was Pujols/Bautista obviously and would have mentioned Halladay, Lincecum, Kershaw, Verlander etc.

If you don't want people to read statements that suggest you think the Tigers added one of the top 5 players in baseball, don't write that the Tigers added one of the top 5 players in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Because there's plenty of flipping out, "Trade Thornton and Floyd, bring out the tarp, cover the field, I can't watch this any more, it's over. Turn out the lights, bring in the bulldozers and let's turn this place into a parking lot" already.

Many of us thought those players should be traded even before this addition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
If you don't want people to read statements that suggest you think the Tigers added one of the top 5 players in baseball, don't write that the Tigers added one of the top 5 players in baseball.

Well, accept my apology I didn't specify "hitters" :pray

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I'd imagine they're going to have to eat a bit of that contract to move him...

They are considering Miggy to 3B, or either of them in a corner OF spot as well. Will it work out? Who knows. They have time to worry about it certainly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
And if there aren't good offers on the table, this deal doesn't suddenly mean we should accept bad offers.

I'd rather have Thornton traded and get his salary off the books for peanuts instead of having him be a set-up man making a lot of money for a 80 win team at best. In my opinion, he was the only guy who was likely to be traded that I would have been fine with just a salary dump.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
They are considering Miggy to 3B, or either of them in a corner OF spot as well. Will it work out? Who knows. They have time to worry about it certainly.

Well, then I agree with Kal..I'd love to see Miggy flopping around like a beached, drunken whale.