Ventura "Thornton the leader to close"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Sox are stupid if they don't let Reed close from the start. They have nothing to lose, and they should know by now that Thornton and Crain aren't closers.

Except Reed's confidence in himself. I think Reed, like everyone else, is the closer of the future. But I also think it's better to let him build toward that instead of thrusting him into the role Day One. That puts an awful lot of pressure to put on a guy with 22 Major League outs to his credit.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I think Matt Thornton is to valuable to lose. We need the lefty and if Robin is giving him another chance I think that is great. Regardless if he closed or not Matt Thonton is still a premier lefty reliever. Crain is a set up man and Reed needs the experience still adn I am sure he will get his chances to close as the season goes along

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
I just listened to the Ventura interview. Reading between the lines, I think he's saying Thornton out of courtesy and not to just hand the job to Reed.

My feeling is that by the middle of March, Reed will have the closers job.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=h...mp;dcid=CBS.CHI

I don't think that is a good thing for Ventura to be doing, if in fact it is what is between the lines. As the new manager his word must be accepted by the players and be good for something. You don't say one thing to the public and then do something else. Now if Matt fails and Reed can step in that's great, but my guess is the job is Matt's at this point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Sox are stupid if they don't let Reed close from the start. They have nothing to lose, and they should know by now that Thornton and Crain aren't closers.

No they're not. Thornton and Crain may or not be able to close, that still remains to be seen. Regardless, you may as well roll the dice on one of them and hope they can get the job done. If so, you've exponentially increased their value (especially Crain) and could get back something really nice for one of them come the deadline. Then you can think moving Reed into the role if you want.

Also, what's the rush in making Reed our closer? He'd probaly get more innings in a non-closer role, and I'd rather have him work through any initial nerves or adjustments in a low pressure role anyways. If we don't plan on competing next year, we can wait a few months to make him our closer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Juan Pierre played a huge part in that.

Pierre was only part of the problem, Thornton was getting hit hard when he was closing, s***ty guys where lining up with his fastballs. Straight fastball with no decent offspeed stuff is what Thornton offers. He's far more valuable as a reliever. I think he doesnt have what it takes to be the closer at least from the mental point of view.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
Pierre was only part of the problem, Thornton was getting hit hard when he was closing, s***ty guys where lining up with his fastballs. Straight fastball with no decent offspeed stuff is what Thornton offers. He's far more valuable as a reliever. I think he doesnt have what it takes to be the closer at least from the mental point of view.

Thornton was lousy, but it might be wise to let he or Crain try it in April and let Reed work into it slowly. If Reed gets lit up and blows a couple saves the first week or in the home opener, it could be ugly for his confidence.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Thornton was lousy, but it might be wise to let he or Crain try it in April and let Reed work into it slowly. If Reed gets lit up and blows a couple saves the first week or in the home opener, it could be ugly for his confidence.

Agree with this. Let the kid be sure he can get major leaguers out before throwing him into the pressure cooker. He can move into the closer's role relatively quickly depending on how he responds to the transition, but there's no need to start him as the closer out of the gate, as this is a lost season anyway. Take the appropriate developmental path.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
I don't think that is a good thing for Ventura to be doing, if in fact it is what is between the lines. As the new manager his word must be accepted by the players and be good for something. You don't say one thing to the public and then do something else. Now if Matt fails and Reed can step in that's great, but my guess is the job is Matt's at this point.

Players know the score.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
i hope so... because we see how matt looked last year and it wasn't pretty.

Actually, looking at the stats, he wasn't bad at all: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

K's down a touch, but still really high. Walks up a bit, but around career average. BABIP sky high, LOB% way low, ERA way higher than FIP and xFIP. To tell you the truth, by the numbers, he is showing all the signs of a horribly unlucky season with little or no decline in skills. He's a fantastic bounceback candidate.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Reed will get more work by not closing. It's probably a good thing. There's no point in having a rookie falling asleep in the bullpen because there aren't any save situations.

Are the Sox going to suck that badly?

Are we looking at last place???