Yo MTV RAPS first aired:

Aug 6th 1988

CLUE 2:

Ice Cubes single “today was a good day” released on:

Feb 23 1993

CLUE 3:

”The Lakers beat the Super

Sonics”

Dates between Yo MTV Raps air date AUGUST 6 1988 and the release of the single FEBRUARY 23 1993 where the Lakers beat the Super Sonics:

Nov 11 1988 114-103

Nov 30 1988 110-106

Apr 4 1989 115-97

Apr 23 1989 121-117

Jan 17 1990 100-90

Feb 28 1990 112-107

Mar 25 1990 116-94

Apr 17 1990 102-101

Jan 18 1991 105-96

Mar 24 1991 113-96

Apr 21 1991 103-100

Jan 20 1992 116-110

CLUE 4:

Dates of those Laker wins over SuperSonics where it was a clear day with no Smog:

Nov 30 1988

Apr 4 1989

Jan 18 1991

Jan 20 1992

CLUE 5:

“Got a beep from Kim, and

she can f*** all night”

beepers weren’t adopted by mobile phone companies until the 1990s. Dates left where mobile beepers were availible to public:

Jan 18 1991

Jan 20 1992

CLUE 6:

Ice Cube starred in the film “Boyz in the hood” that released late Summer of 1991, but was being filmed mid-late 1990 early 1991 and Ice Cube was busy on set filming the movie Jan 18 1991 too busy to be lounging around the streets with no plans. Ladies and Gentlemen..

The ONLY day where:

Yo MTV Raps was on air

It was a clear and smogless day

Beepers were commercially sold

Lakers beat the SuperSonics

and Ice Cube had no events to attend was…

JANUARY 20 1992

National Good Day Day

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Oh jeez. I worry about you.

I got it now, but I don't listen to Ice Cube, nor was I familiar w/ his songs, so it took me until I clicked the link to realize those were song lyrics he was referencing.

Still don't get the one about the weather on that day though. He didn't include a lyric that mentioned it. Was it just in the video or something?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
I got it now, but I don't listen to Ice Cube, nor was I familiar w/ his songs, so it took me until I clicked the link to realize those were song lyrics he was referencing.

Still don't get the one about the weather on that day though. He didn't include a lyric that mentioned it. Was it just in the video or something?

It's like the 3rd line of the song. "No barking from the dog, no smog"

In that song he refers to the Benedict Arnold line, No Vaseline (imo) kind of made Ice Cube because he just kills it and disses NWA at the same time (also NWA dissolves soon after so Ice Cube arguably got the last word in the beef). It may be my one of favorite Ice Cube songs because its just hilarious.

On second glance, January 20, 1992 is wrong. The Good Day was actually November 30, 1988.

When a blogger attempted to identify the exact date rapped about in Ice Cube's "It Was A Good Day," using only clues from the song, we were impressed. But a few things didn't add up about the January 20, 1992 date arrived upon. Was the Goodyear Blimp grounded that day? Did it rain in South Central?

Most importantly, Mike B. takes issue with Murk Avenue's assertion that beepers weren't commercially available until the 1990s.

He's fine with all the clues that cut the possibilities down to Nov. 30, 1988; April 4, 1989; Jan. 18, 1991; and Jan. 20, 1992 — but that's where the wheels come off.

He first eliminates the 88/89 dates, saying Cube didn't have a beeper because they weren't available until the 90s... except that in August of 1988, N.W.A. puts out "Straight Outta Compton," on which Cube himself raps about cops "f***in with me ‘cause I'm a teenager / With a little bit of gold and a pager" — so Cube had himself a beeper, before any of those four dates. So instead of eliminating the 88/89 dates, let's look at the 91/92 dates. First, Cube is famous for being an extremely loyal, one-woman man since the time he started dating Kim — who is his wife to this day! They'd been dating for several years by then, so he wouldn't be describing her as someone he'd been trying to eff since the twelth grade. But beyond that:

Jan. 18, 1991 - NO - Kim is 8 months pregnant with their first child... she was not paging him for weed, booze, and sex that night.

Jan. 20, 1992 - NO - By this date, Cube has moved out of his mom's house (sometime in late 91) and is living with Kim — to whom he was engaged by this date — and their one-year-old son... she was not paging him that night for weed, booze, sex, and then having him drop her off somewhere before he drives home to his mom's place.

All those personal details come from VH1's "Behind the Music: Ice Cube" special, and their timeline is undeniable. The case for deciding between Nov. 30, 1988 and April 4, 1989 is a little murkier, but it comes down to the fact the on Nov. 30, 1988, "Straight Outta Compton" was just starting to move a little bit, where Ice Cube might have know he could be a star but it was still in the 'calm before the storm' period, whereas by April 4th following, N.W.A. was blowing up into national consciousness, and things would've been way too hectic for him to have such a calm, uneventful day.