Bengals Cheerleader, Teacher Sarah Jones Accused of Sex with Student

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
In Ohio, the age of consent is 16 unless the other person is a teacher/parent/administrator/coach/something like that with the person, in which case the age of consent is 18.

Yeah with something like that there's a whole power/authority issue that comes into play, so even if its not statutory rape there's still some potential moral issues there, similar between a college prof and a student but worse because of the younger age.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
They need to do away with that nonsense. If I'm 16/17 and I have a chance to ream something that looks like that, it's on. Shouldn't be a crime at all.

Frankly, I don't know about the 16 part, but having it be stricter where the more senior person is in a position of authority over the younger person makes a ton of sense to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
Frankly, I don't know about the 16 part, but having it be stricter where the more senior person is in a position of authority over the younger person makes a ton of sense to me.

But what about it making it more liberal with a hot piece of ass? ;)

Seriously though, if I'm on that jury, I'd have to hear a boatload of majorly aggravating circumstances before I'd vote to convict.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
But what about it making it more liberal with a hot piece of ass? ;)

Seriously though, if I'm on that jury, I'd have to hear a boatload of majorly aggravating circumstances before I'd vote to convict.

What if it's an attractive male teacher sleeping with 16/17 year old students?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)

Legally, and on many other levels, its exactly the same thing. But my inner horny freshman guy just can't accept that.

Its not a perfect analogy, but I'd also have a hard time convicting a father who shoots his kid's handcuffed murderer in cold blood.

The double standard isn't a deal breaker in all cases.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Yeah some of these comments have irony written all over them.

I never said "all boys". I was referring to myself at age 17. I guarantee my dad would have given approval for that action anyway so it'd be a moot point.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)

I think the physical loss of virginity and pregnancy is the real difference.

To me it's pretty dumb to have a law denying a 16/17 year old boy from doing what 16/17 year old boys dream about doing every night. If it's a situation where someone is taking advantage of someone or making them do something they don't want to do, then I agree. But if it's just straight up consensual sex, I don't get the beef. If you're old enough to drive a car and get a job, you're old enough to decide if having sex with a hot Bengals cheerleader is a bad thing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
I never said "all boys". I was referring to myself at age 17. I guarantee my dad would have given approval for that action anyway so it'd be a moot point.

I'm saying all boys. The legal age of consent in most states is 17. But god forbid a 17-year old boy bucks a teacher. GMAB. How dare we impede our youth in this way? I would like to shake the hand of this young man.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
I think the physical loss of virginity and pregnancy is the real difference.

To me it's pretty dumb to have a law denying a 16/17 year old boy from doing what 16/17 year old boys dream about doing every night. If it's a situation where someone is taking advantage of someone or making them do something they don't want to do, then I agree. But if it's just straight up consensual sex, I don't get the beef. If you're old enough to drive a car and get a job, you're old enough to decide if having sex with a hot Bengals cheerleader is a bad thing.

Who's to say 16/17 year old girls are dreaming of sleeping with hot 20 yo's? Who's to say they're virgins and not fully consenting?

What about a 26 male teach and a 16/17 male student?

Why have any law denying anyone from having consensual sex?

If Im 12 and a hot 18 year old wants a piece of me, whats wrong with that?

Im usually the last person to defend statutory laws, I think that as soon as you get rid of mens rea you lose a lot of legitimacy on a criminal conviction. That being said, you cant just change the rules for hot teachers, or for boys. The rules are the rules, so if its okay for adults to have sex with kids, its okay. If its not, its not.

Bad facts make for bad law, and "hot teacher" makes for bad facts. Personally I think the law should be changed and most statutory crimes erased. But Id guess Im in the severe minority.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

Im usually the last person to defend statutory laws, I think that as soon as you get rid of mens rea you lose a lot of legitimacy on a criminal conviction. That being said, you cant just change the rules for hot teachers, or for boys. The rules are the rules, so if its okay for adults to have sex with kids, its okay. If its not, its not.

Bad facts make for bad law, and "hot teacher" makes for bad facts. Personally I think the law should be changed and most statutory crimes erased. But Id guess Im in the severe minority.

But there's not, right? By legal definition, minors can't consent.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

Do we know yet the age of this gentlemen? I'm assuming he's 17 based on the comments section. And this is not a recent article. It looks to be at least 3-4 weeks old. I'm not interested in this enough to go more in depth. If he was at least 16, there's nothing wrong here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Do we know yet the age of this gentlemen? I'm assuming he's 17 based on the comments section. And this is not a recent article. It looks to be at least 3-4 weeks old. I'm not interested in this enough to go more in depth. If he was at least 16, there's nothing wrong here.

I'm 100% in favor of a ban on teacher-student sexual relations at all ages, if not legally then ethically and contractually. But a random 17 yo and a random 26yo? Don't see a problem.

Edited by StrangeSox

It probably isn't a good thing for teachers of any level of hotness having sex with students.

I'd be interested in hearing the arguments for and against having the same age of consent for males and females. At first glance it seems wrong, but it makes sense when reading the comments in this thread. Would 15 for guys and 17 for women or some such thing be a better reflection of reality? And how to take hotness out of the equation? If she wasn't a hot cheerleader, how many opinions would change?

But yeah, I have to agree with most here, at 17, and with her? Yeah, the only problem would be convincing my buddies we really did do it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Who's to say 16/17 year old girls are dreaming of sleeping with hot 20 yo's? Who's to say they're virgins and not fully consenting?

What about a 26 male teach and a 16/17 male student?

If it's fully consensual I really don't have a problem either way. I'm just thinking girls of that age are more impressionable and would be easier "targets." Guys just don't care. I think the emotional scarring coupled with the physical differences make it less acceptable from a moral/ethical standpoint.

I dont think you can change the law for guys or girls.

That being said, age of consent is usually a state law and different states have drastically different laws. I personally think that the law easily could be changed to avoid such a nonsensical situation. If the "victim" states there was consent, then there is no crime. If the "victim" is silent on consent or says there was no consent, then you can move forward on the case.

The fact is, people have been convicted when the "victim" absolutely consented and even at trial testifies that they wanted it to happen. That situation is just stupid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
I dont think you can change the law for guys or girls.

That being said, age of consent is usually a state law and different states have drastically different laws. I personally think that the law easily could be changed to avoid such a nonsensical situation. If the "victim" states there was consent, then there is no crime. If the "victim" is silent on consent or says there was no consent, then you can move forward on the case.

The fact is, people have been convicted when the "victim" absolutely consented and even at trial testifies that they wanted it to happen. That situation is just stupid.

The problem is, in almost every version of these cases, the "Victim" (as you use quotes) would say that there was consent. If a 12 year old had sexual relations with a teacher, that 12 year old would probably say that there was consent, unless it was obviously by force...but the real issue is that society has judged, correctly, that under a certain age and in particular in certain situations where 1 side has inordinate power over another, the adolescent doesn't have the mental capacity to give that consent.

We make that determination all the time, whether it is charging people for crimes or a 21 year old drinking age. The logic is the same.

In the case of a 12 year old, the logic is obvious, the 12 year old cannot give consent. Ohio society has judged that the dividing line is 16, or 18 in the case of a clear superior with undue influence, and that certainly seems a reasonable standard to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
The problem is, in almost every version of these cases, the "Victim" (as you use quotes) would say that there was consent. If a 12 year old had sexual relations with a teacher, that 12 year old would probably say that there was consent, unless it was obviously by force...but the real issue is that society has judged, correctly, that under a certain age and in particular in certain situations where 1 side has inordinate power over another, the adolescent doesn't have the mental capacity to give that consent.

We make that determination all the time, whether it is charging people for crimes or a 21 year old drinking age. The logic is the same.

In the case of a 12 year old, the logic is obvious, the 12 year old cannot give consent. Ohio society has judged that the dividing line is 16, or 18 in the case of a clear superior with undue influence, and that certainly seems a reasonable standard to me.

You'd also have the situation where a student says they consent, until what they did would be exposed, and then they clam up and deny it. Then the teacher really gets screwed (ba-dum-ching!)