Bengals Cheerleader, Teacher Sarah Jones Accused of Sex with Student

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
Smoking rates are way down from what they used to be.

smoke.gif

Who knows what that is attributable to.

My guess is the more obvious health concerns/knowledge rather than it not being advertised in commercials. It's advertised plenty in movies.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

My guess is the more obvious health concerns/knowledge rather than it not being advertised in commercials. It's advertised plenty in movies.

I think moreso it has to do with money being tight and cigarettes being expensive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

I'd imagine it's attributable to it being more stigmatized than glamorized largely because of those health concerns, but I just wanted to point out that smoking has steadily declined over the decades.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
What does that have to do with anything?

If you live in a culture where you don't drive much, you won't drive drunk much, either. It applies to urban life in this country to some extent, too, but if you're in the suburbs you don't really have a choice to walk to bars.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
If you live in a culture where you don't drive much, you won't drive drunk much, either. It applies to urban life in this country to some extent, too, but if you're in the suburbs you don't really have a choice to walk to bars.

Right..I agree with that...and it's a reason it should be less celebrated, and yet it isn't. s***, our local economies and many small businesses depend on the consumption of alcohol...I would go so far as even saying "the irresponsible consumption of alcohol." And yet people act horrified when they realize that the same people that patronize these places actually have to get home somehow...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I'd imagine it's attributable to it being more stigmatized than glamorized largely because of those health concerns, but I just wanted to point out that smoking has steadily declined over the decades.

So now that it is taboo, shouldn't it be going up amongst teenagers instead of down?

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I was speaking to why we raised the age to 21 from 18 back in the 1970s and early 1980s. IIRC states would be denied federal road doallars if their drinking age was under 21. But you confirm my point.

But to your point, are you suggesting that 18-20 year olds are forced into irrespossible behavior? If they are getting drunk and driving because they can't get into a bar they will then drink less at a bar and not drive drunk? They have to get home from the bar.

The best argument I have heard from university presidents for a return to 18 is it drives the drinking underground where there is less supervision. They believe with a lower drinking age they can better monitor kids drinking and when they have a problem they will be more willing to seek out help.

Ya I actually do think that 18-20 year olds who have already made the decision to drink, legal or not, are forced into irresponsible behavior. This is of course if you completely separate underage drinking and dwi. If kids choose to drink, and there is nowhere legal for them to do it, they will be forced to put themselves into riskier situations then if they were able to hang out at a bar and have one of their friends DD or even call someones parents to pick them up (lol) I know the obvious answer is kids shouldnt be underage drinking but like it or not theyre gonna do it so it couldnt hurt to give them a safer means to do it.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
I think moreso it has to do with money being tight and cigarettes being expensive.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors - it's not glorified like it used to be, health risks are becoming more and more clear (and obvious on every pack), the price, the inability to smoke indoors, etc.

But I think a substantial part of that is it's not mainstream anymore. If you smoke it's because you smoked before or you know someone who does and for some reason want to replicate that. Alcohol is different. Drinking is now where smoking was in the 60's and 70's.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm sure there are a lot of factors - it's not glorified like it used to be, health risks are becoming more and more clear (and obvious on every pack), the price, the inability to smoke indoors, etc.

But I think a substantial part of that is it's not mainstream anymore. If you smoke it's because you smoked before or you know someone who does and for some reason want to replicate that. Alcohol is different. Drinking is now where smoking was in the 60's and 70's.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the tobacco industry was hammered on second hand smoke. The fact that a smoker is affecting a non-smoker was, and is, a HUGE deal. Drinking doesn't have that same stigma, other than what drinking can CAUSE you to do. But the actual act of drinking doesn't harm anyone around him.

I think that was a huge win for anti-tobacco.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the tobacco industry was hammered on second hand smoke. The fact that a smoker is affecting a non-smoker was, and is, a HUGE deal. Drinking doesn't have that same stigma, other than what drinking can CAUSE you to do. But the actual act of drinking doesn't harm anyone around him.

Good point, and part of why smoking is viewed as being so disgusting in the present time.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)

I think drunk driving certainly harms people. But yeah, I see your point.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)

Well, the distinction with tobacco has always been that it may kill you and others even if used entirely properly.

I would guess driving while intoxicated would fall under not being used properly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

It absolutely does...but it's an effect of the drinking, not the drinking itself.

If you have two people at a bar and only one is drinking...the non-drinker is in no way harmed (unless the drinker doesn't like his face and coldcocks him for no reason).

But, if you have those same two people at a bar and one is smoking, you are directly affecting that persons health. That's the major difference.

Edited by CanOfCorn

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:21 AM)
So she pleaded guilty, admitted everything, and left the courtroom with the kid, who is now 18.

She's really not that pretty, although if I was 17 and she came onto me, I probably would have done the same thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/s...ref=mostpopular

Great body, horrible orange face.