Digital SLRs

Texsox

I am beginning my quest for a digital SLR. I will be shooting mostly landscapes and travel photos. Any recommendations? I have been really happy with Canon SLR, but my point and shoot is a Nikon and I may look closer at them.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
I am beginning my quest for a digital SLR. I will be shooting mostly landscapes and travel photos. Any recommendations? I have been really happy with Canon SLR, but my point and shoot is a Nikon and I may look closer at them.

If you ask anyone whose done a lot of work with SLR's, they'll recommend the Cannon EOS line or the Nikon D line...the new Sony Alpha line is supposed to be pretty solid as well.

I usually start my research at cnet.com

We picked up a Nikon D3100 last year and have loved it so far. I did a little bit of research before hand, and it seemed like the choice between Canon or Nikon came down to personal preferences. The big takeaway I took was not to get too bogged down in all the technical aspects and just go shoot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
We picked up a Nikon D3100 last year and have loved it so far. I did a little bit of research before hand, and it seemed like the choice between Canon or Nikon came down to personal preferences. The big takeaway I took was not to get too bogged down in all the technical aspects and just go shoot.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those lines.

I am anxious to hear what people think of the Sony Alphas...

Those were the two that I was looking at. Both are marketed, it seems, as beginner SLRs, but I am failing to see where they lack for my use. Last summer when we were in Maine I was frustrated with our pictures. This summer we're heading up the Rockies and I want to be better equiped. I do miss my old Cannon film camera. I shoot about a roll a year just for old time sake.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Those were the two that I was looking at. Both are marketed, it seems, as beginner SLRs, but I am failing to see where they lack for my use. Last summer when we were in Maine I was frustrated with our pictures. This summer we're heading up the Rockies and I want to be better equiped. I do miss my old Cannon film camera. I shoot about a roll a year just for old time sake.

I've really liked this guy's website, and he has reviews on a lot of cameras:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I have a Nikon D5000 (now slightly upgraded and sold as the 5100) and love it. Canons feel too plastick-y for my taste, at least the one I was looking at (in the same class as the D5000). If I'm going to drop $900-1200 on a camera kit it better feel solid. I'd suggest you go to a store and feel them out first. And I definitely recommend getting the kit at Sams or Costco (or online). You can normal get some of the extras (bag/memory card/tripod) for free with the kit, in addition to the extra zoom lens you'll get. Saves you some money on items you'll need anyway.

And I 2nd Ken Rockwell's site, especially for his lens reviews. Very good stuff.

Lastly, cameras these days for a beginner are so over-packed with features that pretty much anything you get that's somewhat new (1-2 years old) you'll be able to take great photographs. The new push is always for HD video (a gimmick) and more megapixels. Unless you plan to print off billboard size photos, don't overspend for the MP count. My biggest thing for cameras is shutter speed. The faster you can take a shot, the better the pictures you can get....especially if you're taking pictures of kids.

Edited by Jenksismybitch