Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Recently started dating a Buckeye fan from Cleveland. She is determined to convert me and doesn't believe in my devotion to the Ducks. :)

Chip Kelly isnt long for the college coaching ranks, especially with more and more investigations looming around their program. When they fall from grace it will be somewhat difficult to call you a front runner. You should however take the trip to columbus for a game sometime, you'll either love it or hate it, there is no in between.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip Kelly isnt long for the college coaching ranks, especially with more and more investigations looming around their program. When they fall from grace it will be somewhat difficult to call you a front runner. You should however take the trip to columbus for a game sometime, you'll either love it or hate it, there is no in between.

There is another coach with the same last name that I'd love to see packing for the NFL very soon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
Recently started dating a Buckeye fan from Cleveland. She is determined to convert me and doesn't believe in my devotion to the Ducks. :)

Interviewed there last year and they didn't hire me so I'm holding a duck grudge.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I would prefer Notre Dame to be a full fledged member now but it is just a matter of time now.

Really the only conference that makes sense since there is no interest between ND and the Big 10.

Yeah, the Big East made no sense for Notre Dame, especially as long as it was keeping football and hockey out. ND has nothing in common with schools like DePaul and Marquette, let alone Georgetown, Providence, Villanova or St. John's.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

Yeah, the Big East made no sense for Notre Dame, especially as long as it was keeping football and hockey out. ND has nothing in common with schools like DePaul and Marquette, let alone Georgetown, Providence, Villanova or St. John's.

None of those schools are of any use to ND.

DePaul, Marquette - ND is already big in the Midwest, especially Chicago.

Georgetown, Providence, St. John's - Maryland, BC, and Syracuse provide access to the same markets.

Plus the ACC gives ND access in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

Also, ACC has seven top 50 schools academically, the Big East has one.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Can it just be Saturday already? This has been the slowest week of my life.

Oh, and if we lose to Florida, I'm going to be more disappointed than I've ever been in UT football. This is a must-win and a should-win game.

Depends on the type of game that is played. If its 20-17 type game then I will favor Florida but if Tenn can make it a game in the mid 20s then Florida will be in trouble. I think Tenn will be able to move the ball but they will need to score TDs and not kick FGs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
None of those schools are of any use to ND.

DePaul, Marquette - ND is already big in the Midwest, especially Chicago.

Georgetown, Providence, St. John's - Maryland, BC, and Syracuse provide access to the same markets.

Plus the ACC gives ND access in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

Also, ACC has seven top 50 schools academically, the Big East has one.

My point was more about ND's character and place as a private, Catholic university, something that it will now share with only 1 fellow conference member (and I think w/o BC joining first this doesn't happen). That used to be cited as major factor in all decisions impacting the school, and was one that was mentioned alot in its decision to join the "old" Big East years ago. I think its interesting that this now appears to rank relatively lower among factors considered, which as you note, seems to driven more prominetly by "access to markets."

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Depends on the type of game that is played. If its 20-17 type game then I will favor Florida but if Tenn can make it a game in the mid 20s then Florida will be in trouble. I think Tenn will be able to move the ball but they will need to score TDs and not kick FGs.

This is true. But I fully expect the offense to put up points... Also, if we're settling for FGs, then we're not scoring b/c our kicker is awful. That's the thing I'm most worried about: special teams.

My point was more about ND's character and place as a private, Catholic university, something that it will now share with only 1 fellow conference member (and I think w/o BC joining first this doesn't happen). That used to be cited as major factor in all decisions impacting the school, and was one that was mentioned alot in its decision to join the "old" Big East years ago. I think its interesting that this now appears to rank relatively lower among factors considered, which as you note, seems to driven more prominetly by "access to markets."

Being Catholic may have been a factor that was played up by the media, but from ND's perspective, overall academic reputation was more important than specifically being Catholic. Also, four of the ACC schools (BC, Duke, WF, and Miami) are private and a couple of the public schools (UVA, GT) are on the smaller side for state schools have have much more of a private school atmosphere. Access to markets has always been important, in fact, the movement of a lot of those markets from the Big East to the ACC (Miami, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pitt) is a big reason why ND is making the move as well.

The Big East is a failing league, the Big 12 never had a chance, so it was down to the Big Ten and ACC and which one would blink first and offer ND a chance to remain independent in football.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
The biggest surprise from this ACC move: The U is a top 50 academic school :o

Private school with a lot of rich northerners from NY and Chicago.

And this seems like a very odd arrangement. ACC is turning itself into the Big East, after watching the Big East get dismantled.

Private school with a lot of rich northerners from NY and Chicago.

And this seems like a very odd arrangement. ACC is turning itself into the Big East, after watching the Big East get dismantled.

Except that the ACC has solid footing in the Southeast, which the Big East never really had. ND joining the ACC probably keeps FSU and Clemson from bolting to the Big 12.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Except that the ACC has solid footing in the Southeast, which the Big East never really had. ND joining the ACC probably keeps FSU and Clemson from bolting to the Big 12.

Uh no its the exact opposite. FSU is a football school and tired of being in a basketball dominated conference. How does adding ND minus ND football, help improve the ACC for FSU's benefit? Or what about a school like VA Tech that SEC, Big 12 would love to get.

Who cares about a solid footing in the South East, the SEC (South East Conference) owns it in football. Notre Dame basketball isnt going to make ACC compete with the SEC in football.

You have to be a weak conference to let Notre Dame have 1 foot in and 1 foot out. 20 years from now people may look back at this as the move that unraveled the ACC.

Uh no its the exact opposite. FSU is a football school and tired of being in a basketball dominated conference. How does adding ND minus ND football, help improve the ACC for FSU's benefit? Or what about a school like VA Tech that SEC, Big 12 would love to get.

Who cares about a solid footing in the South East, the SEC (South East Conference) owns it in football. Notre Dame basketball isnt going to make ACC compete with the SEC in football.

You have to be a weak conference to let Notre Dame have 1 foot in and 1 foot out. 20 years from now people may look back at this as the move that unraveled the ACC.

ND isn't joining in football, but the deal calls for ND to play 5 ACC teams per year, with at least one game against each team every 3 years, so it improves the conference's TV exposure, which is important for FSU and Clemson.

I'm also hearing that there may be another shoe still to drop.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
ND isn't joining in football, but the deal calls for ND to play 5 ACC teams per year, with at least one game against each team every 3 years, so it improves the conference's TV exposure, which is important for FSU and Clemson.

I'm also hearing that there may be another shoe still to drop.

FSU sites have rumors that 4 schools may have voted against the increased buy out to $50mil: FSU, Clemson, NC State, and VT (the 4 football schools) and that the only reason it passed was Pitt and Cuse were allowed to vote.

I have no idea the truth or validity, someone on this site is a much bigger FSU fan than me so Im hoping they will chime in. But from my perspective the football schools in the ACC again got the short end for the basketball schools.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
IMO, this kills any major conference expansion unless the Big 12 and it's TV partners suddenly decide to go after Louisville and BYU.

It depends, supposedly the ACC football schools arent exactly in love with this deal. If thats true, I could absolutely see FSU calling the Big 12 up and saying "You have 1 year to add us before the new buy out kicks in, do you want us?"

It depends, supposedly the ACC football schools arent exactly in love with this deal. If thats true, I could absolutely see FSU calling the Big 12 up and saying "You have 1 year to add us before the new buy out kicks in, do you want us?"

FSU might want to wait to see what happens next before they go banging on the Big 12's door.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
FSU might want to wait to see what happens next before they go banging on the Big 12's door.

What does it matter what happens next? Is the ACC going to get Texas? No. Is the ACC going to get LSU/Alabama? No. Is the ACC going to get OSU/Michigan/ No.

The only big school that even could move is Penn State. And losing their place in the Big 10 would be a fitting punishment.

What does it matter what happens next? Is the ACC going to get Texas? No. Is the ACC going to get LSU/Alabama? No. Is the ACC going to get OSU/Michigan/ No.

The only big school that even could move is Penn State. And losing their place in the Big 10 would be a fitting punishment.

Care to wager on that??

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Care to wager on that??

Since betting on the internet isnt collectible Ill pass. But Ill wager my signature or something funny. :)

Texas isnt going to move to the ACC after ESPN and the entire world kept the Big 12 together. If they do, all hell breaks lose.

Since betting on the internet isnt collectible Ill pass. But Ill wager my signature or something funny. :)

Texas isnt going to move to the ACC after ESPN and the entire world kept the Big 12 together. If they do, all hell breaks lose.

The possibility of joining the ACC in other sports and going independent in football wasn't on the table when Texas agreed to stay in the Big 12. That might be an option now. ACC would have 16 teams in basketball, with ND and Texas being independent in football but playing 5 ACC teams per year.

I don't know for a fact that Texas has the same offer as ND, but I know that the three parties have discussed it. Texas very badly wants an association with ND, and since ND wouldn't go to the Big 12, this is how they could get it done.