Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Why does Texas want an association with ND?

Texas is the biggest, richest kid on the block. What exactly does ND do for them?

They wanted an association with ND because they believed they could get ND to come to the Big 12. Now that ND has said no, I wouldnt be surprised to see the Texas/ND series cancelled or postponed indefinitely. As ND now is supposed to play 5 ACC teams a year, and that is going to severely restrict their ability to schedule other teams.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Texas want an association with ND?

Texas is the biggest, richest kid on the block. What exactly does ND do for them?

They wanted an association with ND because they believed they could get ND to come to the Big 12. Now that ND has said no, I wouldnt be surprised to see the Texas/ND series cancelled or postponed indefinitely. As ND now is supposed to play 5 ACC teams a year, and that is going to severely restrict their ability to schedule other teams.

Texas is the second biggest, second richest kid on the block, and when the two biggest, richest kids get together, they can do some pretty big things.

The ND-Texas series isn't going away--neither team is going to throw away that kind of cash.

ND is already playing 4 ACC teams this year anyway. USC, Purdue, and Navy will stay as permanent opponents. Stanford, Michigan, and MSU will probably get cut back to part-time opponents, which was probably going to happen anyway since the Pac-12 and Big 10 are switching to 9 game conference schedules.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Texas is the second biggest, second richest kid on the block, and when the two biggest, richest kids get together, they can do some pretty big things.

The ND-Texas series isn't going away--neither team is going to throw away that kind of cash.

ND is already playing 4 ACC teams this year anyway. USC, Purdue, and Navy will stay as permanent opponents. Stanford, Michigan, and MSU will probably get cut back to part-time opponents, which was probably going to happen anyway since the Pac-12 and Big 10 are switching to 9 game conference schedules.

On what planet is Notre Dame the richest school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colle...es_by_endowment

Their endowment isnt near Harvard, its less than Texas and less than Michigan.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06...argest-profits/

And they arent even top 10 in profits or revenue for basketball or football.

Im pretty sure Notre Dame has the third highest paying tv contract in their own state (1 & 2 are Purdue/Indiana).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Being Catholic may have been a factor that was played up by the media, but from ND's perspective, overall academic reputation was more important than specifically being Catholic. Also, four of the ACC schools (BC, Duke, WF, and Miami) are private and a couple of the public schools (UVA, GT) are on the smaller side for state schools have have much more of a private school atmosphere. Access to markets has always been important, in fact, the movement of a lot of those markets from the Big East to the ACC (Miami, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pitt) is a big reason why ND is making the move as well.

The Big East is a failing league, the Big 12 never had a chance, so it was down to the Big Ten and ACC and which one would blink first and offer ND a chance to remain independent in football.

Not with respect to the point I'm trying to make. Being Catholic is central to the university's identity and for a very long time was heavily emphasized by the school itself with respect to athletics, dating all the way back to it having to withstand Fielding Yost leading the blackballing of ND from the Big 10 in the days when anti-Catholic biogtry was so prevalent it caused scheduling problems. I recall the membership of other Catholic schools specifcally cited by ND as a factor when it joined the Big East, although I don't presume it was the dominant factor over academics.

I get how the ACC is the better play for the school against the modern landscape and in light of how wobbly the Big East is after the recent defections. It just seems that this is another one of several things once trumpted by the Domers as important to their traditions--not playing in bowl games, never firing a coach under contract, that have gone by the boards of late, and I wonder how long it will be before football independence goes. too.

It just seems that this is another one of several things once trumpted by the Domers as important to their traditions--not playing in bowl games, never firing a coach under contract, that have gone by the boards of late, and I wonder how long it will be before football independence goes. too.

Sometimes the landscape of the sport pits traditions against each other, and you have to decide which traditions to keep. The recent trend of DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, and St. John's made playing in a predominantly Catholic conference and a good conference mutually exclusive options.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Sometimes the landscape of the sport pits traditions against each other, and you have to decide which traditions to keep. The recent trend of DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, and St. John's made playing in a predominantly Catholic conference and a good conference mutually exclusive options.

Agreed.

What do you think will happen with ND football in 10 years? Lots of variables to anticipate, but if they have to surrender independence (which if trends continue seems more likely than not) do you think they'll go all in with the ACC or finally join the Big 10? Sounds like an increased exit fee may motivate the former.

Agreed.

What do you think will happen with ND football in 10 years? Lots of variables to anticipate, but if they have to surrender independence (which if trends continue seems more likely than not) do you think they'll go all in with the ACC or finally join the Big 10? Sounds like an increased exit fee may motivate the former.

I think the new arrangement can last 10 years. The ACC is an ideal home for all sports except football.

ND hasnt been relevant or rich in a long time. So far Michigan, MSU, Purdue are already dropping them from the schedule. ND is hurting itself by moving its games further away from where its located, and frankly, nobody really cares.

Purdue isn't dropping ND at all. MSU and UM are moving from playing ND every year to 4-6 years of every ten. This has everything to do with the Big Ten going to a 9-game conference schedule and nothing to do with ND.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Purdue isn't dropping ND at all. MSU and UM are moving from playing ND every year to 4-6 years of every ten. This has everything to do with the Big Ten going to a 9-game conference schedule and nothing to do with ND.

Big 10 isnt going to a 9 game conference schedule.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/07/big-ten...tball-schedule/

But on Thursday, Delany said that there is a consensus to stay at eight league games and increase non-conference strength of schedule.

Big 10 wanted more OOC games, Wisconsin tried to schedule Notre Dame but couldnt get it to work.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)

You seem to be all knowing then, because thats not what I heard from very connected people. Michigan is going to replace ND with USC or at least they are trying to. MSU is also trying to schedule a more legitimate OOC team.

You seem to be all knowing then, because thats not what I heard from very connected people. Michigan is going to replace ND with USC or at least they are trying to. MSU is also trying to schedule a more legitimate OOC team.

There may be a 2-year slot where UM could put USC in place of ND, but USC is not picking up a second big time school as a permanent OOC rivalry. Purdue and MSU will play ND as often as ND wants.

On what planet is Notre Dame the richest school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colle...es_by_endowment

Their endowment isnt near Harvard, its less than Texas and less than Michigan.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06...argest-profits/

And they arent even top 10 in profits or revenue for basketball or football.

Im pretty sure Notre Dame has the third highest paying tv contract in their own state (1 & 2 are Purdue/Indiana).

All of that data is misleading. Part of the NBC contract sends money directly to the University and not to the athletic department, so it won't show up in football revenues/profits.

The NBC contract covers ND home games only. ND still gets a share in money from away games. Conference TV contracts cover all conference games home and away in addition to non-conference home games.

Also, ND has sacrificed some TV revenue in exchange for more control over start times. If ND's goal was maximizing TV dollars, they could probably get 20-30% more money in exchange for giving NBC total control over start times.

It's pretty easy to pull a bunch of numbers off the internet. It's much harder to understand what they actually mean.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
All of that data is misleading. Part of the NBC contract sends money directly to the University and not to the athletic department, so it won't show up in football revenues/profits.

The NBC contract covers ND home games only. ND still gets a share in money from away games. Conference TV contracts cover all conference games home and away in addition to non-conference home games.

Also, ND has sacrificed some TV revenue in exchange for more control over start times. If ND's goal was maximizing TV dollars, they could probably get 20-30% more money in exchange for giving NBC total control over start times.

It's pretty easy to pull a bunch of numbers off the internet. It's much harder to understand what they actually mean.

lol

None of that data is misleading. You said Notre Dame is the richest kid. They have $1bil less than Michigan, who isnt even the biggest. If you want to prove Notre Dame is the richest school in all the land, show me 1 piece of data to support your position. Because "well they could make more money but they dont" is an excuse, as I could argue that any school could potentially make more money under certain conditions.

Your last sentence is one of the most snarky I have read. You are the one who said Notre Dame is the RICHEST school. Yet you didnt provide 1 fact to support it. I showed evidence how Notre Dame isnt even considered top 5. So if you would like to present your case, feel free.

But right now you just sound like a Notre Dame homer who doesnt even want to discuss reality.

(edit)

And you didnt even respond to the point about Big 10 not going to a 9 game schedule. But I guess I dont understand that 8 is the new 9 either?

Maybe thats Notre Dame math 8=9.

Edited by Soxbadger

lol

None of that data is misleading. You said Notre Dame is the richest kid. They have $1bil less than Michigan, who isnt even the biggest. If you want to prove Notre Dame is the richest school in all the land, show me 1 piece of data to support your position. Because "well they could make more money but they dont" is an excuse, as I could argue that any school could potentially make more money under certain conditions.

Your last sentence is one of the most snarky I have read. You are the one who said Notre Dame is the RICHEST school. Yet you didnt provide 1 fact to support it. I showed evidence how Notre Dame isnt even considered top 5. So if you would like to present your case, feel free.

But right now you just sound like a Notre Dame homer who doesnt even want to discuss reality.

(edit)

And you didnt even respond to the point about Big 10 not going to a 9 game schedule. But I guess I dont understand that 8 is the new 9 either?

Maybe thats Notre Dame math 8=9.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between figurative and literal. In the world of college football, ND is figuratively the "richest kid"

The Big Ten did at one point decide to go from 8 to 9 games, and even though they've switched back, the time in between caused some shifts in the series with MSU and UM, which was part of what got the ball rolling for ND to make the ACC move.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
Maybe you don't understand the difference between figurative and literal. In the world of college football, ND is figuratively the "richest kid"

The Big Ten did at one point decide to go from 8 to 9 games, and even though they've switched back, the time in between caused some shifts in the series with MSU and UM, which was part of what got the ball rolling for ND to make the ACC move.

I understand the difference between figural and literal. If you want to just throw around things that are unprovable that is fine. I thought we were having a legitimate discussion as to why Texas (the literal biggest and richest kid on the block) would want to work with the figurative richest kid on the block.

Your answer was: Notre Dame is richer than Texas.

Well the only place that is true is in the minds of Notre Dame fans. In the world of college football, to non Notre Dame fans, they havent been relevant since Lou Holtz had the Rocket. Yeah I remember watching the clip game against Colorado, I remember when they actually could compete against Florida State.

But I have to believe that is almost 20 years now. The only reason Notre Dame has the NBC contract is that the bigger teams all have more lucrative conference deals. IF Michigan broke away from the Big 10, they could easily have their own tv deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)

Why? They dont have the largest fan base, not the largest tv deal, not the largest endowment, and haven't been competitive in the BCS era.

What makes them so rich?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Why? They dont have the largest fan base, not the largest tv deal, not the largest endowment, and haven't been competitive in the BCS era.

What makes them so rich?

Dude they are figuratively the richest kid, dont you understand that?

Just like Ill be figuratively making love to Kate Upton tonight.

Edited by Soxbadger

I understand the difference between figural and literal. If you want to just throw around things that are unprovable that is fine. I thought we were having a legitimate discussion as to why Texas (the literal biggest and richest kid on the block) would want to work with the figurative richest kid on the block.

Your answer was: Notre Dame is richer than Texas.

Well the only place that is true is in the minds of Notre Dame fans. In the world of college football, to non Notre Dame fans, they havent been relevant since Lou Holtz had the Rocket. Yeah I remember watching the clip game against Colorado, I remember when they actually could compete against Florida State.

But I have to believe that is almost 20 years now. The only reason Notre Dame has the NBC contract is that the bigger teams all have more lucrative conference deals. IF Michigan broke away from the Big 10, they could easily have their own tv deal.

Relevant isn't the same as competitive. ND hasn't been competitive since Holtz, but they are still as relevant. They still move the needle just as much.

Maybe Michigan could have their own TV deal, but then without their conference where could they find 11 other football teams they can beat?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Relevant isn't the same as competitive. ND hasn't been competitive since Holtz, but they are still as relevant. They still move the needle just as much.

Maybe Michigan could have their own TV deal, but then without their conference where could they find 11 other football teams they can beat?

Good point, they can only schedule Notre Dame once, so Im not sure where the other 10 wins would come from.