Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so awful for Lattimore. What a great kid and a great player. I literally feel sick to my stomach for him. Even though he plays for a rival, he's just one of those guys that I've always liked. I respect his game and his attitude. I really hope he can come back from this (a la McGahee).

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Tim Beckman may be the worst hire in the Big Ten in 30 years....................2 weeks to prepare and still nothing new today FN horrid!

I also loved that they were running the ball on Indiana easily all day but they consistently dropped back to throw on 2nd and shorts and either threw incompletions or lost yards and then when they get the ball back down 7 in the 4th quarter they drop back to throw three straight times? It takes work to do a worse job coaching on gameday than Zook but this staff manages to do it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
I also loved that they were running the ball on Indiana easily all day but they consistently dropped back to throw on 2nd and shorts and either threw incompletions or lost yards and then when they get the ball back down 7 in the 4th quarter they drop back to throw three straight times? It takes work to do a worse job coaching on gameday than Zook but this staff manages to do it.

Especially since no one could pass block. Snap it, have a guy immediately on you, run around, either chuck it or get caught for one of the 7 sacks. Repeat.

Every pass play was a fire drill.

I'd love to say we've reached rock bottom, but I don't know if that's the case. We just lost to Indiana. At home. On homecoming. After a bye week. To a team that has won 6 road games in 17 years and hasn't won since Nov 2010 in the BT.

But let's keep hitting guys out of bounds and fumbling. Good times.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Especially since no one could pass block. Snap it, have a guy immediately on you, run around, either chuck it or get caught for one of the 7 sacks. Repeat.

Every pass play was a fire drill.

I'd love to say we've reached rock bottom, but I don't know if that's the case. We just lost to Indiana. At home. On homecoming. After a bye week. To a team that has won 6 road games in 17 years and hasn't won since Nov 2010 in the BT.

But let's keep hitting guys out of bounds and fumbling. Good times.

Zook also recruited absolutely no talent in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 classes. Seriously go pull up the commitments from those classes and the only guy who is an a very good Big 10 player is Brown. The RBs from last years class are ok but they aren't difference makers and I've heard good things about Caldwell and Davis but they haven't shown anything on the field. It is obviously early with the 2012 class but all of the guys actually getting playing time form that class are guys Beckman brought in late. Zook's recruiting in that class was hilariously bad before he got fired. The program is going to be a dumpster fire soon. It really is too bad Zook wasn't fired in 2009 like he should have been.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
Zook also recruited absolutely no talent in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 classes. Seriously go pull up the commitments from those classes and the only guy who is an a very good Big 10 player is Brown. The RBs from last years class are ok but they aren't difference makers and I've heard good things about Caldwell and Davis but they haven't shown anything on the field. It is obviously early with the 2012 class but all of the guys actually getting playing time form that class are guys Beckman brought in late. Zook's recruiting in that class was hilariously bad before he got fired. The program is going to be a dumpster fire soon. It really is too bad Zook wasn't fired in 2009 like he should have been.

No, I know the recruiting classes were bad, and he doesn't have a lot to work with. But he's not doing a good job with the little we have, or showing signs of football intelligence, for lack of a better term. There was a lot of returning "talent" from last year's team. Zero reason they should be this bad, or this stupid.

Also, you said it's going to be a dumpster fire soon? I'd say we're there now...

Yes, Zook should have been gone after 2009, would have saved this before the fall go to ground level.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
No, I know the recruiting classes were bad, and he doesn't have a lot to work with. But he's not doing a good job with the little we have, or showing signs of football intelligence, for lack of a better term. There was a lot of returning "talent" from last year's team. Zero reason they should be this bad, or this stupid.

Also, you said it's going to be a dumpster fire soon? I'd say we're there now...

Yes, Zook should have been gone after 2009, would have saved this before the fall go to ground level.

I think Beckman is doing a terrible job but there is zero returning talent on offense. The offense was absolutely abysmal last year and the only two legitimate players from that team are in the NFL. I thought this team could get to 6-6 or 7-6 on the strength of the defense like last year but only a handful of the guys on the offense are legitimate Big 10 players. No excuse for the defense to be this bad.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
I think Beckman is doing a terrible job but there is zero returning talent on offense. The offense was absolutely abysmal last year and the only two legitimate players from that team are in the NFL. I thought this team could get to 6-6 or 7-6 on the strength of the defense like last year but only a handful of the guys on the offense are legitimate Big 10 players. No excuse for the defense to be this bad.

I should have been more specific, yeah, I meant on defense. Because obviously the last 6 games last year where we averaged 7 points a game didn't leave much to be expected.

It's not quite as depressing to watch the offense struggle (though there have been some terrible play calls), but the defense makes no sense. Never thought we'd get absolutely blown out in some of these games.

Bailey SOS.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I should have been more specific, yeah, I meant on defense. Because obviously the last 6 games last year where we averaged 7 points a game didn't leave much to be expected.

It's not quite as depressing to watch the offense struggle (though there have been some terrible play calls), but the defense makes no sense. Never thought we'd get absolutely blown out in some of these games.

Bailey SOS.

Beckman absolutely has to hold his recruiting class together or this program is heading back to the end of the Turner era/beginning of Zook era depths. Should be fun. I hope Ron Guenther burns in hell.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)

He might indeed be the worst hire of all time, but to base it all on this years' results isn't fair. If his recruiting classes are lame, then Illinois has a huge problem and the AD who actually might be the worst hire in Big Ten history, will be the first one collecting unemployment checks.

I don't get Illinois fans. We had almost no talent ready to replace the players who left the program after last year, and the schedule got more difficult. The highest expectations couldn't have been much more than 6 wins.

I didn't expect Illinois to be this bad, but I also didn't expect Illinois to be good. And, with the amount of injuries we've had, it's kind of hard to expect much more than we've gotten.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
I don't get Illinois fans. We had almost no talent ready to replace the players who left the program after last year, and the schedule got more difficult. The highest expectations couldn't have been much more than 6 wins.

I didn't expect Illinois to be this bad, but I also didn't expect Illinois to be good. And, with the amount of injuries we've had, it's kind of hard to expect much more than we've gotten.

Were getting 2 wins, getting blown out, and not improving.

I have no idea what the f*** you are talking about.