Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
You weren't aware of the injuries? Or, the lack of talent?

What exactly is your point, that we should be satisfied with this? We lost to f***ing IU at home after an open week. Sorry for having such "high" expectations expecting more than 2 wins this year, with one being against a high school team, and not to be blown out by almost every real team, and show some sort of clue in the coaching department.

Yeah, way off there, don't know what I was thinking.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
What exactly is your point, that we should be satisfied with this? We lost to f***ing IU at home after an open week. Sorry for having such "high" expectations expecting more than 2 wins this year, with one being against a high school team, and not to be blown out by almost every real team, and show some sort of clue in the coaching department.

Yeah, way off there, don't know what I was thinking.

Well, at the very least s***ting on your first year head coach isn't going to help anything.

I expected 6 wins myself. The DC has been horrible, and I hope they fire him after the season. However, you can't deny that we've had a lot of injuries, and a lot of Zook's best talent has already left the team (or never even arrived).

How high above IU do you see UI?

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Well, at the very least s***ting on your first year head coach isn't going to help anything.

I expected 6 wins myself. The DC has been horrible, and I hope they fire him after the season. However, you can't deny that we've had a lot of injuries, and a lot of Zook's best talent has already left the team (or never even arrived).

How high above IU do you see UI?

Show me something from him that makes you feel good about the future. And if you can do that, list another few. Would love to see this list.

Making excuses of injuries and talent is great, but what makes you feel good about this staff? It's been f***ing clown college, period.

There's no way IU has more talent than UI, so talent, which you keep going back to, is not an excuse. And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't IU without their starting QB as well?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
Show me something from him that makes you feel good about the future. And if you can do that, list another few. Would love to see this list.

Making excuses of injuries and talent is great, but what makes you feel good about this staff? It's been f***ing clown college, period.

There's no way IU has more talent than UI, so talent, which you keep going back to, is not an excuse. And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't IU without their starting QB as well?

We gave them what 17+ points? We should have won today. Unfortunately, the team did what it has done best for awhile now (into the Zook era) and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Can the current coaching staff be expected to have all of our old problems fixed in one year?

Our current recruiting class is currently ranked 36th by Scout and 27th by Rivals. We'll see how many kids he can keep on, but recruiting was the real strength of this staff when it was put together. He also seems to have more of a plan with regards to recruiting instead of just ignoring things like defensive backs and offensive tackles. It's also hard to know just how good our offensive staff is because of how bad our line has been. From the sounds of things, the players are having a hard time moving on from the last staff and buying into the current one.

2-3 things is all I can come up with. Maybe they fire the DC. All I know is Beckman is going to be here for a few years, so I'm going to give him a chance. It's not unheard of for a new coach to have a bad year to start out.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
We gave them what 17+ points? We should have won today. Unfortunately, the team did what it has done best for awhile now (into the Zook era) and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Can the current coaching staff be expected to have all of our old problems fixed in one year?

Our current recruiting class is currently ranked 36th by Scout and 27th by Rivals. We'll see how many kids he can keep on, but recruiting was the real strength of this staff when it was put together. He also seems to have more of a plan with regards to recruiting instead of just ignoring things like defensive backs and offensive tackles. It's also hard to know just how good our offensive staff is because of how bad our line has been. From the sounds of things, the players are having a hard time moving on from the last staff and buying into the current one.

2-3 things is all I can come up with. Maybe they fire the DC. All I know is Beckman is going to be here for a few years, so I'm going to give him a chance. It's not unheard of for a new coach to have a bad year to start out.

I know it's not unheard of. And I was one of the last people here, or elsewhere, to really become disappointed with TB and the staff. I want to believe he can get the job done, and I'm really not the "fire the coach!!!!" guy. And I'm not saying that yet, but this is pretty disheartening. Week after week after week. Same mistakes, same sloppy ass football, I'm seeing no signs of life, no signs of being competent (at least on the field, recruiting is a different story but that's not the top issue right now). There hasn't been reason to really have any hope that things can be turned around. That's the worst part right now. It's not even the fact that we're losing, or not making a bowl game. It's how we're doing all of this.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
I know it's not unheard of. And I was one of the last people here, or elsewhere, to really become disappointed with TB and the staff. I want to believe he can get the job done, and I'm really not the "fire the coach!!!!" guy. And I'm not saying that yet, but this is pretty disheartening. Week after week after week. Same mistakes, same sloppy ass football, I'm seeing no signs of life, no signs of being competent (at least on the field, recruiting is a different story but that's not the top issue right now). There hasn't been reason to really have any hope that things can be turned around. That's the worst part right now. It's not even the fact that we're losing, or not making a bowl game. It's how we're doing all of this.

This is a reasonable take on the situation. I think my main thoughts on the whole situation are that even if we kept Zook, we would still be having a losing season right now, IMO. Assuming Koenning stayed as well, our defense would probably be a lot better, but still noticeably worse than last season because we lost some of our better players and have had some key injuries.

We went after coaches like Sumlin willing to pay millions per year, and we ended up with Tim Beckman. Unfortunately, that's where our program is right now.

Hopefully, the recruits he brings in are good enough to overcome the coaching. At the very least, he shouldn't leave the next coach without an offensive line or defensive backs.

We hired a coach who specializes in defense who had previously coached for a team that played no defense. This team was also in a conference that doesn't recruit players that are anything like what Illinois recruits. I don't know what we could have expected.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
Notre Dame just got away with the most obvious pass interference ever on Teo's maybe interception.

Also the pass was incomplete. Nose of the ball hit the ground and then moved into his stomach. Pretty obvious it moved.

I was really impressed with Notre Dame tonight. I must admit, I thought Oklahoma was going to expose that defense, but they played awesome. Oh, and as an unbiased fan watching the game, that was definitely an INT by Teo.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Also the pass was incomplete. Nose of the ball hit the ground and then moved into his stomach. Pretty obvious it moved.

Are you kidding me? Manti had possession before it hit the ground(his hand was under it as well) and continued to hold until after it touched the ground. Yes, it moved but the movement wasn't caused by the ground and came well after that.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
I don't get Illinois fans. We had almost no talent ready to replace the players who left the program after last year, and the schedule got more difficult. The highest expectations couldn't have been much more than 6 wins.

I didn't expect Illinois to be this bad, but I also didn't expect Illinois to be good. And, with the amount of injuries we've had, it's kind of hard to expect much more than we've gotten.

Ron Zook was the first coach in almost 20 years to take Illinois to back-to-back bowl games, but he wasn't good enough and now we get this.

And f*** Oklahoma, now we have to deal with all this bulls*** for longer

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
Ron Zook was the first coach in almost 20 years to take Illinois to back-to-back bowl games, but he wasn't good enough and now we get this.

It's not bulls***. If you don't think ND is real and that defense isn't the best or second best in the nation you're clueless.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)

Are you really arguing Zook should have been retained? We finished 10th in the Big 10 last year, lost 6 straight games without being able to score and Zook recruited literally one player from 2010 through 2012 that looks like a high level Big 10 football player. Hell, Mason Monheim is the only freshman or sophomore in the program who looks like he is worth a damn. This team should be better and Beckman's coaching has been lousy but we were heading for the bottom again with the incredible lack of talent Zook was bringing in. Pocic is the only offensive linemen with any talent and he is pretty limited athletically, the RBs are ok but not game changers and really no different than what every other team has, the WRs other than Millines are absolute garbage (and Millines is always hurt) and the QBs are arguably the worst in the Big 10.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
For the first time I can say that ND starting Golson over Rees is the right decision. His athletic ability just makes the offense better.

If he can play smart and keep his head down. He's got to slide more feet first and know when to get out of bounds.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
If he can play smart and keep his head down. He's got to slide more feet first and know when to get out of bounds.

Also hes got to hold the football against his body. Every time he runs it he is careless with the ball and it infuriates me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
And Beckman has turned around a program before mostly with a dominating offense. Right now he has zero offensive difference makers, and no, Sheelhouse or whatever isn't one of those. Give him some time.

The problem is that he isn't an offensive coach and the guy who ran that offense at Toledo is now Toledo's head coach. There isn't a coach in the world that could make Illinois' offense good so I give him a pass on that end. But the defense went from being a top 20 unit last year to a disaster this year. Mercilus was a stud and losing him hurts but that unit returned 7 starters and Williams is a better player than Trulon Henry so losing Henry hasn't really hurt. There is simply no excuse for the defense to be as bad as its been. The key now is holding on to what is a decent first recruiting class and hoping Aaron Bailey is the real deal. If he isn't Beckman won't last long at Illinois.