Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
If they fire him, they'll owe him 10 million dollars. After the debacle with Hewitt's "lifetime" contract, the GT Athletic Department has no prayer of affording that much money. Johnson will get one more year, and if it goes poorly maybe he'll walk away (especially with the AD leaving, like you said). Thankfully they have significantly better QBs waiting in the wings than the current one who's been under center the last two years.

Wow, I did not know that. That's a hell of a buyout. Then yes, I imagine he will get one more year.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
If they fire him, they'll owe him 10 million dollars. After the debacle with Hewitt's "lifetime" contract, the GT Athletic Department has no prayer of affording that much money. Johnson will get one more year, and if it goes poorly maybe he'll walk away (especially with the AD leaving, like you said). Thankfully they have significantly better QBs waiting in the wings than the current one who's been under center the last two years.

Yeah, buyouts can really handcuff the smaller schools. Miami was really hurting when they fired Coker and had to buy his contract out along with still paying off basketball coach Perry Clark's contract. Had to hire cheap and got Shannon.

Never a good sign when coaches start firing assistants during the season. I dont like the guy and cant see him lasting long but I would be surprised if he isnt given 1 more season.

I think it's hilarious that halfway through Big Ten play, Indiana still technically controls its own destiny in getting to the conference championship game. I say "technically" because I in no way expect it to actually happen, but it's funny that it's even a possibility at all.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
I think it's hilarious that halfway through Big Ten play, Indiana still technically controls its own destiny in getting to the conference championship game. I say "technically" because I in no way expect it to actually happen, but it's funny that it's even a possibility at all.

There was some ridiculous scenario that after the Penn St game, we could be like 2-6 in conference and be in the championship game. Obviously that went away, but I see what you're saying.

BCS Championship Game odds:

This article: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...isman-race-more includes ESPN stat geek Chris Fallica's odds that each of the top 4 teams finishes the season undefeated. ND has the best odds of running the table, but also needs others to lose in order to finish in the top two. Using those odds, I calculated title game odds based on the following assumptions:

(1) At no point will a team with a loss be ranked higher than any of the four that remain undefeated

(2) In the final BCS standings, an undefeated Alabama would be ranked higher than an undefeated Oregon, who would be ranked higher than an undefeated Kansas State, who would be ranked higher than an undefeated Notre Dame. I know that Oregon is #4 right now but their rating in the computer component will go up due to their remaining schedule.

(A) Alabama and Oregon both go undefeated (whether or not KSU/ND do is irrelevant) 10.8%

(B) Alabama and Kansas State both go undefeated and Oregon does not (ND irrelevant) 19.9%

© Alabama and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Oregon and Kansas State do not. 16.4%

(D) Oregon and Kansas State both go undefeated and Alabama does not (ND irrelevant) 3.5%

(E) Oregon and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Alabama and Kansas State do not 2.9%

(F) Kansas State and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Alabama and Oregon do not 9.3%

(G) Alabama goes undefeated but the others do not 10.0%

(H) Oregon goes undefeated but the others do not 1.7%

(I) Kansas State goes undefeated but the others do not 5.7%

(J) Notre Dame goes undefeated but the others do not 12.3%

(K) None of the four go undefeated 7.5%

Total odds of making the title game as an undefeated team:

Alabama 57.1%

Oregon 18.9%

Kansas State 38.4%

Notre Dame 40.9%

Of course, in scenarios (G-K) there are one-loss teams in the title game and Alabama and maybe Oregon get in some of those cases also, but those are harder to put odds on since they involve the outcomes of the other one-loss teams as well. I will be interested to see if these numbers get updated each week. I would think Alabama's odds would improve the most this week with a win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I am not sold on K-state. I would like to see Bama vs Oregon.

No thanks,

SEC vs Oregon v1.0 wasn't good enough to re-do. I'll take KState or Alabama vs...gulp, Notre Dame. I hate the Irish, but I don't want to see Oregon's Pac10/12 track meet get stymied yet again against anyone east of the Mississippi.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I am not sold on K-state. I would like to see Bama vs Oregon.

I don't know how you can't be sold on Kstate after they went TO west virginia and absolutely manhandled that offense.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I don't know how you can't be sold on Kstate after they went TO west virginia and absolutely manhandled that offense.

I'm not sold on WV either. I dont think the Big 12 is very good, which I think we saw with Oklahoma last weekend. I don't think Klein is worthy of Heisman consideration and I think that Oregon has more playmakers especially on offense. ND's defense IMO can stack up against Bama, although that game would be boring as f***.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
No thanks,

SEC vs Oregon v1.0 wasn't good enough to re-do. I'll take KState or Alabama vs...gulp, Notre Dame. I hate the Irish, but I don't want to see Oregon's Pac10/12 track meet get stymied yet again against anyone east of the Mississippi.

A game won by a FG as time expired wasn't good enough? Make it seem like the Auburn dominated that game.

As far as stymied, they did a good job against the run, but Oregon threw all over on them. They did have 449 total yards.

If Oregon goes through the rest of the schedule undefeated, I see no way they shouldn't play Bama in the championship game.

As far as Klein, he's not your prototypical pocket passer and won't be an NFL star, but the guy gets the job done and that offense scores a lot of points. I don't see how anyone could not be impressed at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
A game won by a FG as time expired wasn't good enough? Make it seem like the Auburn dominated that game.

As far as stymied, they did a good job against the run, but Oregon threw all over on them. They did have 449 total yards.

If Oregon goes through the rest of the schedule undefeated, I see no way they shouldn't play Bama in the championship game.

As far as Klein, he's not your prototypical pocket passer and won't be an NFL star, but the guy gets the job done and that offense scores a lot of points. I don't see how anyone could not be impressed at this point.

Oregon has probably 2 of the most dangerous players in the country with the ball in their hands. Their D isnt great, but it doesnt need to be in theory.

Also Krush, im laying hard on ILL this weekend. You've taken 7 out of the last 11 in columbus, the spread is ridiculous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
Oregon has probably 2 of the most dangerous players in the country with the ball in their hands. Their D isnt great, but it doesnt need to be in theory.

Also Krush, im laying hard on ILL this weekend. You've taken 7 out of the last 11 in columbus, the spread is ridiculous.

It's what, like 28?

I still wouldn't touch it. I think it's all about how many points Urban wants to put up. Anything over 40 and OSU probably covers.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
It's what, like 28?

I still wouldn't touch it. I think it's all about how many points Urban wants to put up. Anything over 40 and OSU probably covers.

ILL just has this effect on OSU where its always close and surprising. OSU also blows against "spread-like" offensive teams. If the Bucks can run the ball with ease then it will be a blowout but I still think they wont cover. I personally think it will be a close game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
ILL just has this effect on OSU where its always close and surprising. OSU also blows against "spread-like" offensive teams. If the Bucks can run the ball with ease then it will be a blowout but I still think they wont cover. I personally think it will be a close game.

Yeah, but most of those spread teams either have a dynamic runner at QB, a QB that can throw the ball or wide receivers that don't suck. Illinois has none of that. There is a reason that Illinois hasn't been able to score against a real defense the last two seasons.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

I agree with all of this.

I do think KState would have the best shot at taking down Bama though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm not sold on WV either. I dont think the Big 12 is very good, which I think we saw with Oklahoma last weekend. I don't think Klein is worthy of Heisman consideration and I think that Oregon has more playmakers especially on offense. ND's defense IMO can stack up against Bama, although that game would be boring as f***.

How is Klein not worthy of Heisman consideration? He's 2nd in the nation in passer rating & rushing touchdowns. His team is 5th in the country in scoring and undefeated in a major conference. How is that not Heisman worthy? It's not about talent or NFL chances, it's about producing on the field and I don't know how you argue with that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
How is Klein not worthy of Heisman consideration? He's 2nd in the nation in passer rating & rushing touchdowns. His team is 5th in the country in scoring and undefeated in a major conference. How is that not Heisman worthy? It's not about talent or NFL chances, it's about producing on the field and I don't know how you argue with that.

Eric Crouch won the Heisman in 2001 http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/player...c-crouch-1.html

I think that Klein should definitely be in the discussion. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player...23/collin-klein

Klein has already accounted for 28 tds and 2200 yards (rushing plus passing).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
I apologize in advance for bringing this name into the discussion but everything about the way Klein throws a football reminds me of Tebow in college.

You're far from the first one, I think we've all heard it in the media a bunch, so no worries.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

Because I think he's about as good as Braxton Miller and I dont consider either one of them the best player in college football. Its my opinion, you dont need to try and change it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Because I think he's about as good as Braxton Miller and I dont consider either one of them the best player in college football. Its my opinion, you dont need to try and change it.

Whoa, don't take it personal. :P

In that case, who would you have as the top Heisman candidates at this point in the season?