Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
This was never going to be close. You have a team that looks incredibly poorly coached that also has no talent. Thanks Ron Guenther for not firing Zook when you should have in 2009.

I know it wasn't going to be close. I posted on the last page how tOSU looked like an easy play at -27.5. Beckman just looks like a terrible coach.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it is laughable how little depth we have on defense. Zook's recruiting was as bad as any team in the country between 2010 and 2012. With Brown's injury we are now playing 2 true freshmen at LB (both recruited by Beckman) one of whom has no business being on the field, we have no talent on the defensive line other than the 3 SRs who have all underachieved this year, every safety in the program is terrible and we are forced to play freshmen in the nickel and dime packages because Zook didn't recruit a good CB after the 2009 class.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
I know it wasn't going to be close. I posted on the last page how tOSU looked like an easy play at -27.5. Beckman just looks like a terrible coach.

He does look brutal but the talent level is also a major problem. We are without a doubt the least talented offense in the Big 10 and our talent on defense after the top few guys is dreadful. I thought the top 4 or 5 guys on the defense would be enough to make us solid on that end but it just hasn't happened. Our pass rush really misses Mercilus because the other guys haven't stepped up and his replacement Justin Staples is a terrible football player. We also replaced Tavon Wilson who was our best DB with a true freshman and replaced Ian Thomas with a true freshman. Then you throw in that Brown has been banged up this year which leads to Svetina playing (who has no business being in a Big 10 game) along with our terrible safeties and you have major talent deficiencies.

You can keep blaming Zook's last few recruiting classes for how bad this team is, but no one is buying it. There is still a little talent on this team. NFL talent, even.

In the very least, we can all agree they should at least be competitive against the worst Big Ten just about ever. At least competitive enough for one half. They aren't. Just awful. We now have to fight to avoid what Indiana is/was.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
You can keep blaming Zook's last few recruiting classes for how bad this team is, but no one is buying it. There is still a little talent on this team. NFL talent, even.

In the very least, we can all agree they should at least be competitive against the worst Big Ten just about ever. At least competitive enough for one half. They aren't. Just awful. We now have to fight to avoid what Indiana is/was.

I've said many times that Beckman looks terrible but there isn't talent on this team, at least on offense. We couldn't score last year and we lost our only good offensive linemen and our only legitimate skill position player and replaced them with bad players. On defense we lost the guy who was by far the best player on defense and our best defensive back and replaced them with Staples who is terrible and a true freshman. Buchanan, Spence, Brown and Hawthorne are guys with some NFL ability but Brown has been banged up this year and when he isn't on the field we are playing two true freshmen at LB. The safety play is terrible, Staples is terrible and Williams and Green are just guys. The coaching on the defensive side of the ball has been awful but there isn't a coach in the country who can get that offense to score points.

And frankly, I've said in this thread that I would be fine with Beckman getting fired because I don't think he has what it takes between the ears to be a really good coach.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
I've said many times that Beckman looks terrible but there isn't talent on this team, at least on offense. We couldn't score last year and we lost our only good offensive linemen and our only legitimate skill position player and replaced them with bad players. On defense we lost the guy who was by far the best player on defense and our best defensive back and replaced them with Staples who is terrible and a true freshman. Buchanan, Spence, Brown and Hawthorne are guys with some NFL ability but Brown has been banged up this year and when he isn't on the field we are playing two true freshmen at LB. The safety play is terrible, Staples is terrible and Williams and Green are just guys. The coaching on the defensive side of the ball has been awful but there isn't a coach in the country who can get that offense to score points.

And frankly, I've said in this thread that I would be fine with Beckman getting fired because I don't think he has what it takes between the ears to be a really good coach.

Hopefully some deep pocketed booster steps up and pays yet another buy-out. Monken should have been the guy last year, and should be now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Hopefully some deep pocketed booster steps up and pays yet another buy-out. Monken should have been the guy last year, and should be now.

Would be fine with me but Beckman will be here for three years unless they go winless next year in all likelihood. Hopefully for the next hire they actually hire a head coach who is intellectual and has had success coaching their side of the ball. I'm sick of f***ing meathead football guys.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
WTF is going on in South Bend? How is this the same team that shutdown Oklahoma last week?

Lack of offense had to catch up to them sometime. Still another Q. I'm not getting excited yet cuz ill be pissed if ND comes back.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Lack of offense had to catch up to them sometime. Still another Q. I'm not getting excited yet cuz ill be pissed if ND comes back.

Not a real shocker either. ND coming off an emotional win playing a .500 team at home as a double digit favorite. Add in their average offense and games like this can happen.

Apparently the new playcalling for the 4th quarter is "Hey, let's throw some lob balls up in the endzone and hope someone catches it."

They have thrown 3-4 or 4 deep balls in the endzone hoping for a miracle. Luckily they got a PI call and TJ Jones just scored a TD.

But nothing can be easy in this game, as Kyle Brindza SHANKS the EXTRA POINT. You've got to be kidding me. If the Irish lose because they can't convert the 2 pt conversation, I'm going to be livid.

20-12 Pitt.