Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
The haters are just as bad. Give it a rest. Yeah some calls went ND's way, but the first 3Q ND couldn't buy a call on anything. The stanford play there was not enough evidence to overturn that call and the fact that this is even still a debate PROVES that. Not to mention if that is ruled a stanford touchdown they go into a 2OT not win like everyone seems to think.

Read today where ND had two #2 players on the field on Pitt's missed FG, which should have resulted in a 1st down for Pitt.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Oregon should be above ND if they both win out due to being the more impressive team. Also, Oregon St. is ranked higher than Oklahoma.

Well considering Oklahoma lost to ND that usually moves you down in the rankings. At the time Oklahoma was higer then OSU will be when/if Oregon beats them. Oklahoma has only lost to one of the top 4 teams in the nation and kept it close until the 4Q in both games. Oklahoma as of right now is a better win then OSU.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Read today where ND had two #2 players on the field on Pitt's missed FG, which should have resulted in a 1st down for Pitt.

Grabbing at strings. If this is true I'm sure that is exactly what caused the kicker to miss. Also this shouldn't be pinned on the refs for missing that as how are they supposed to check the formations and number of players on both sides while also making sure no numbers repeat? That should be pinned squarely on the Pitt coaching staff and players for not recognizing and and making a fuss about it.

Though I'd still like to see a replay of that as I doubt that happened.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Well I can't stand ND but I agree with Kev for the most part. Their resume will be just as good as Oregon's but the good ol eye test will be the difference there and what gets Oregon in over them if that's what it comes down to.

I agree with you here. Though if ND's defense had played like ND's defense yesterday I'd pose the argument as why should Oregon's impressive offense and awful defense overshadow ND's impressive defense and awful offense. Though if they manage to finish the year without a bad offensive showing then I can see where they'd finish ahead of ND on the eye test.

Mizzou played their hearts out. Tough one to come up short on. I'm going to give JF the benefit of the doubt, and say that he is just a broken QB right now. No doubt his shoulder is hurting his accuracy. But it sucks to lose a year to poor QB play after so many years of that being a strength.

I don't understand people who keep saying Oregon's hardest part of the schedule has still yet to come. Umm if they win out they'll beat Stanford, USC x2(most likely), and OSU. We've seen that OSU isn't the powerhouse they once were and ND already beat Stanford and will beat USC if they win out. Why should Oregon play in the National Title game over ND if they beat the same teams ND beat and played a weaker schedule outside of that?

See an ND fan using logic is possible.

Because style also counts. It always has and always will in college football.

ND may end up with the best victory (Oklahoma) but going to OT against a s***ty Pittsburgh and slipping past an even worse Purdue team needs to be weighed too. They also only beat another crap team in BYU by just 3.

In college football, struggling to beat sub par teams is worse than rolling through the Arkansas State's of the world.

Plus pollsters will try to compare the schedules of common opponents. They will see that Oregon beat Arizona 49-0 and that Arizona lost by 6 to Stanford who lost in OT to ND. Also that Oregon beat Washington by 31 and Washington beat Stanford.

Grabbing at strings. If this is true I'm sure that is exactly what caused the kicker to miss. Also this shouldn't be pinned on the refs for missing that as how are they supposed to check the formations and number of players on both sides while also making sure no numbers repeat? That should be pinned squarely on the Pitt coaching staff and players for not recognizing and and making a fuss about it.

huh?

so why even have refs call penalties then. Each team should hire a set of coaches to just look for illegal formations and too many players. If they see it then those coaches should petition the refs and have them review the fouls. If the refs deem the coach correct, then throw the flag.

You have refs counting players, counting players on the line of scrimmage, making sure that numbered players are playing in the correct position and I'm sure a lot more things before each ball is snapped. It shouldnt be hard to ask that the refs also make sure two players arent wearing the same number on the field.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
Because style also counts. It always has and always will in college football.

ND may end up with the best victory (Oklahoma) but going to OT against a s***ty Pittsburgh and slipping past an even worse Purdue team needs to be weighed too. They also only beat another crap team in BYU by just 3.

In college football, struggling to beat sub par teams is worse than rolling through the Arkansas State's of the world.

Plus pollsters will try to compare the schedules of common opponents. They will see that Oregon beat Arizona 49-0 and that Arizona lost by 6 to Stanford who lost in OT to ND. Also that Oregon beat Washington by 31 and Washington beat Stanford.

If by using your logic at the end I can say that Illinois St. deserves to be #3 in the polls as they beat Youngstown St. and Youngstown St. beat Pitt by two touchdowns while ND only beat Pitt by 3 in Overtime. It's stupid as I can probably find an argument for every team in College Football to better then another.

They wont do that with stanford considering they'll both play them so the only evidence they'll need is the results of the Stanford game each team played. Now if Oregon goes out and beats Stanford 49-0 and ND struggles and barely beats USC then they'll deserve to be in over ND. But they haven't done that yet and as of right now ND has a much more impressive resume.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
huh?

so why even have refs call penalties then. Each team should hire a set of coaches to just look for illegal formations and too many players. If they see it then those coaches should petition the refs and have them review the fouls. If the refs deem the coach correct, then throw the flag.

You have refs counting players, counting players on the line of scrimmage, making sure that numbered players are playing in the correct position and I'm sure a lot more things before each ball is snapped. It shouldnt be hard to ask that the refs also make sure two players arent wearing the same number on the field.

Well I've already went back and looked at the replay and I didn't see two number 2's. But the angles I found were all s***ty so I could be wrong.

The fact no one else is talking about this makes it moot point.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
huh?

Not saying it should be 100% on Pitt also, but usually when too many players are on the other team the coaches and players making a fuss usually is what points it out. As a basketball coach myself I promise you that if you don't point some things out to the ref it's going to go uncalled if they're not looking for it.

and there were two number 2's out there. One guy on the edge and the other guy standing behind the line of scrimmage who was jumping. I could almost the refs slide if it was a playing in a 3pt stance but cant let it slide since both players were standing straight up and down.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)

Nobody is going to look at that. That's absurd.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)

and there were two number 2's out there. One guy on the edge and the other guy standing behind the line of scrimmage who was jumping. I could almost the refs slide if it was a playing in a 3pt stance but cant let it slide since both players were standing straight up and down.

What did that change? Quite a ridiculous thing to complain about.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)

Thanks for finding video proof. But like I said that didn't cause the kicker to shank the field goal and if Pitt would have brought it up to the refs it would have been called.

Once again pulling at strings. Notre Dame won yesterday, and saying they shouldn't have because two guys with the same number were on the field or there was a bad PI call is insane. Bad calls happen in every single game against both sides get over it and move on.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
Well considering Oklahoma lost to ND that usually moves you down in the rankings. At the time Oklahoma was higer then OSU will be when/if Oregon beats them. Oklahoma has only lost to one of the top 4 teams in the nation and kept it close until the 4Q in both games. Oklahoma as of right now is a better win then OSU.

Oklahoma has done very little to be ranked as high as they are, in my opinion. Lost two home games and their best win of the year was vs Texas. Oregon State's win at UCLA is right up there with Oklahoma's best. Outside of the top 9 though in the BCS standings, no one has a really big win.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
Oklahoma has done very little to be ranked as high as they are, in my opinion. Lost two home games and their best win of the year was vs Texas. Oregon State's win at UCLA is right up there with Oklahoma's best. Outside of the top 9 though in the BCS standings, no one has a really big win.

They lost two games at home. Yeah its terrible to lose two games at home that were close in the 4th quarter to the current 2nd and 3rd team in the BCS standings. Terrible. Let me know when OSU hangs with a top 4 BCS team until the 4th quarter, twice.

Edited by kev211

This Indiana team is just fun to watch. Wilson is really turning it around. Best recruiting class we've ever had coming in next year, plus 19/22 starters coming back, plus the best player on our team (Roberson) coming back from injury. Should be a fun ride coupled with the basketball program. IU is going to be making some serious money soon.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
This Indiana team is just fun to watch. Wilson is really turning it around. Best recruiting class we've ever had coming in next year, plus 19/22 starters coming back, plus the best player on our team (Roberson) coming back from injury. Should be a fun ride coupled with the basketball program. IU is going to be making some serious money soon.

Maybe you'll fill more than 1/3 of the stadium then.

Notre Dame would get blown off the field by Oregon or Bama. And I don't think its even debatable. They are beating garbage programs by 3 points, at home. Im not even sure they would give K-State a game.

I don't think this is going to matter anyway, because they will lose to USC and we can forget about them being in the title game.

I keep hearing people on other sites say ND plays a cupcake schedule, and they are way overrated because they play all these easy teams.

But then I found this link....

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-footba...chedule-by-team

^Is that completely inaccurate? It says ND has played the 6th hardest schedule in the nation. I'm not a big NCAAFB guy, I don't follow too many teams outside of ND, so are these rankings completely off?

Oklahoma and Stanford are both top-15 teams.

Miami and Michigan are unranked but might win their conferences.

BYU and Michigan State have mediocre records but against a tough schedules so their computer rankings are high.

Purdue and Navy aren't very good but they're better than the two worst teams on most schedules. Most teams have a couple lower division MAC or SBC teams or even FBS teams on their schedule.

Edited by HickoryHuskers