Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 06:46 AM)
I have a friend who knows some advance scouts at ND who had been scouting potential bowl matchups and they told him Alabama would have been a much easier matchup for ND than KSU or Oregon, and it wasn't even close. They'll take a loss by any team ahead of them but they were really hoping the other two would lose and Alabama would win out.

That makes sense. Other than Golson's running ability, ND & Bama have very similar playing styles. Grind it out strategy instead of a run & gun.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Why do the BCS computers have ND ranked #1?

Every team they have played is a BCS school, so that helps. Even if they are weaker BCS teams, it's still better in the computers than non-BCS or D-2.

Also, I believe they don't allow margin of victory in the computer rankings.

Why do the BCS computers have ND ranked #1?

Record and schedule strength are the two biggest components of the computer rankings.

Notre Dame's schedule strength is slightly better than KSU and quite a bit better than Oregon.

By Sagarin ratings, here are the three worst teams each has played:

ND: Pittsburgh 70, Navy 83, Boston College 99

KSU: Kansas 80, North Texas 110, Missouri State 138

Oregon: Washington St. 94, Colorado 152, Tennessee Tech 174

Now, Oregon's schedule strength will improve with Stanford/OSU/Pac-12 championship coming up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Every team they have played is a BCS school, so that helps. Even if they are weaker BCS teams, it's still better in the computers than non-BCS or D-2.

Also, I believe they don't allow margin of victory in the computer rankings.

Yeah, even playing one FCS school kills your computer ratings. That's why FSU is down around 9 or 10 in BCS because they're ranked 17 or so in computers, with some leaving them off altogether. They've played 2 FCS schools this season

Random fact I saw a few weeks ago: Notre Dame, USC, & UCLA are the only three schools to never play a FCS opponent.

Yes, ND has not played an FCS (I-AA) school since Division I split into two. They also rarely play teams from the "second-tier" FBS conferences. In the last 10 years, only one game each against CUSA, MAC, and WAC and none against the Sun Belt.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Never since 1978 when Division 1 football split.

That's pretty amazing. Would have assumed differently.

Of course, with ND having so many long running series of games and USC being such a money game for an opponent it's not super shocking. UCLA is strangely among them however.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Yes, ND has not played an FCS (I-AA) school since Division I split into two. They also rarely play teams from the "second-tier" FBS conferences. In the last 10 years, only one game each against CUSA, MAC, and WAC and none against the Sun Belt.

It's easy to make that "second-tier" comment since Army and Navy are independents... factor them in every year and it doesn't sound so impressive.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Navy often fields a pretty respectable team. Army's always terrible though.

I guess they don't always play Army, sometimes they switch it up and play Air Force...

Either way, my point still stands. Even if they don't play second-tier conferences, they do play some pretty crappy independent teams.

Navy is the only academy ND plays every year, and they've been pretty decent recently. Army and Air Force are on the schedule an average of about once every four years.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

Respectable meaning what? They are essentially an upper level MAC team. Their last 10 years have been good for them since the olden days of them actually competing for something and they've gone 83-53.

Ball State leading Ohio 28-24 right now in the 3rd. Keith Wenning got injured on a reception he made in the 2nd half, so Kelly Page has been QBing it he has 2 TD on his first 3 plays. Not too shabby.

I stayed at the game until half time, but it was so damn cold. Ball State wearing sweet new black jerseys for a "blackout" tonight on Senior Night, and they brought in a jumbrotron for the game too.

I can't believe if we win we will be 8-3 on the year, with a good chance to go 9-3. That heartbreaking loss to Kent State really sucks now, as we could have been 10-2 with our only losses to Clemson and NIU.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Holy s*** Horacio Banks! One of the best runs I've seen all season. wow.

If anyone is bored and wants to watch the Ball State/Ohio game for some reason....

http://www.sportwebz.com/live/258116-ncaa-...vivo/gratis/tv/

It's also on ESPNU or ESPN2 in some areas, but I think it's blacked out everywhere but the West coast.

Ball State up 38-27 in the 4th.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

BSU killing Ohio now. 45-27.

Backup QB Kelly Page is 5 for 7 with 41 yards passing, and has 26 yards on 3 carries with TD rushing. LOL

Banks and Edwards are both over 100 yards. They are averaging about 10 yards/carry combined. This offense is just on point this season. Can't wait to see Banks mature, considering he is a freshman. He rushed for 120 yards on only 7 carries vs. Clemson, and is at about 120 right now as well.

Respectable meaning what? They are essentially an upper level MAC team. Their last 10 years have been good for them since the olden days of them actually competing for something and they've gone 83-53.

Navy, or an upper level MAC team, would beat the worst team on any other Top 10 team's schedule by quite a bit. That is my point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Navy, or an upper level MAC team, would beat the worst team on any other Top 10 team's schedule by quite a bit. That is my point.

Yeah, Navy in recent years has fielded a team that can give a lot of schools headaches. Compared to BCS bottom feeders like Temple, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Colorado etc...Navy would more than hold their own.