Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
ND didn't struggle against the best team on their schedule. The Oklahoma game wasn't close. How is that less indicative of how they would fare against KSU than their 3-point win over Purdue? You're cherry-picking results to support your hatred of ND.

The Oklahoma game was tied with 5 minutes left in the game.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
ND's offense is more run-oriented and thus runs more clock, resulting in fewer possessions. The goal of coaches is to win games, and they really care zero about margin of victory.

Of course winning is the bottom line, but coaches game plan to win by as many points as their team is capable of. Brian Kelly didn't walk into the Pitt game thinking, "Margin of victory doesn't matter, so no point in blowing out this s*** football team. Let's go to double OT for the hell of it." He would have liked an easy win, but his team wasn't good enough.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
The Oklahoma game was tied with 5 minutes left in the game.

Thank you. The margin of victory in that game is not indicative of how the game went. Despite people claiming ND "blew out" Oklahoma, that simply is not true. It is still a great win regardless, but by no means was that game "not even close"

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
ND didn't struggle against the best team on their schedule. The Oklahoma game wasn't close. How is that less indicative of how they would fare against KSU than their 3-point win over Purdue? You're cherry-picking results to support your hatred of ND.

You clearly didn't watch the game then.

Thank you. The margin of victory in that game is not indicative of how the game went. Despite people claiming ND "blew out" Oklahoma, that simply is not true. It is still a great win regardless, but by no means was that game "not even close"

OK, so when ND beats a Top 10 team on the road by 17, it's somehow not indicative of how good ND is. Got it. But Oregon beat the #17 team on the road by 11 and they're much more awesome. Got it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
Notre Dame was ahead 20-13 with 5 minutes left in the game.

They scored with 5:05 left on the clock. Those 5 seconds clearly change the perception on how close the game was :)

Hickory, no one is saying it wasn't a big time win for ND. Easily one of the ten best wins that any team has this season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:43 AM)

Oh good lord. They barely beat Pittsburgh in 3OT. Pittsburgh is 4-6 on the year (including the Notre Dame loss) and 1-4 in a terrible football conference. You are the one cherry picking right now.

EDIT: and contrary to what may be your initial belief, I do not hate Notre Dame. I don't care either way about Notre Dame. You have proven yourself to be nothing more than a Notre Dame homer though.

Edited by witesoxfan

Oh good lord. They barely beat Pittsburgh in 3OT. Pittsburgh is 4-6 on the year (including the Notre Dame loss) and 1-4 in a terrible football conference. You are the one cherry picking right now.

EDIT: and contrary to what may be your initial belief, I do not hate Notre Dame. I don't care either way about Notre Dame. You have proven yourself to be nothing more than a Notre Dame homer though.

Of course you care about Notre Dame--look at how much you are posting about them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
OK, so when ND beats a Top 10 team on the road by 17, it's somehow not indicative of how good ND is. Got it. But Oregon beat the #17 team on the road by 11 and they're much more awesome. Got it.

Read what I said because that's not what I said. But keep mixing up what everyone is saying to try and prove your point

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
They scored with 5:05 left on the clock. Those 5 seconds clearly change the perception on how close the game was :)

Hickory, no one is saying it wasn't a big time win for ND. Easily one of the ten best wins that any team has this season.

But the game "wasn't close"!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Hey look, lots of offense! Something shiny!

Oregon is ranked #1 because they were ranked ahead of KSU and ND pre-season. That's the only reason.

Enough already. I'm an ND fan as well, but you're outrageous at this point.

Oregon is ahead of them because they clearly appear to be the better football team. Same with KSU. This has zero to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season.

If you have watched all 3 teams play, and think ND is better than either of them - then you're just a homer. Hell, even if you haven't watched them play, look at the results of the games (as the article went through), you'd have to put Oregon and KSU ahead of them.

Enough already. I'm an ND fan as well, but you're outrageous at this point.

Oregon is ahead of them because they clearly appear to be the better football team. Same with KSU. This has zero to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season.

If you have watched all 3 teams play, and think ND is better than either of them - then you're just a homer. Hell, even if you haven't watched them play, look at the results of the games (as the article went through), you'd have to put Oregon and KSU ahead of them.

I've watched all 3 teams play. I'd put KSU slightly ahead of ND and both of them quite a bit ahead of Oregon. Their defense is terrible.

And yes, it has everything to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season. Go back to previous years and look at how the rankings of undefeated teams in week 9-10 compares to their preseason rankings.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I've watched all 3 teams play. I'd put KSU slightly ahead of ND and both of them quite a bit ahead of Oregon. Their defense is terrible.

And yes, it has everything to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season. Go back to previous years and look at how the rankings of undefeated teams in week 9-10 compares to their preseason rankings.

I can buy this argument this week...but in three weeks, if Oregon is still undefeated, I highly doubt it.

If you really want to know who the best teams are, you look at the Vegas Power Rankings. These are the folks who have the most incentive to understand just how good all these teams are.

Oregon is a 21 point favorite this week against Stanford.

THREE touchdowns....

Honestly, what would KState be? 7 point favorite? 10? And ND? maybe 7?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)

Oregon's defense isn't great, but it's not terrible. They've held their 7 of their 9 opponents (not including Tn Tech) to below their season average in points. The only truly bad game they had on defense was against USC. I also wonder how many of the points they've allowed this year came against their starting defense, as they've played their second stringers so often in the second half of games.

Also, quick math shows me that the average scoring offense Kansas State has faced this year is 51.6 in the rankings, and Notre Dame's is 69.5.

Edited by fathom

I can buy this argument this week...but in three weeks, if Oregon is still undefeated, I highly doubt it.

If you really want to know who the best teams are, you look at the Vegas Power Rankings. These are the folks who have the most incentive to understand just how good all these teams are.

Oregon is a 21 point favorite this week against Stanford.

THREE touchdowns....

Honestly, what would KState be? 7 point favorite? 10? And ND? maybe 7?

There's no limit to the amount of money I'd put on Stanford at +21.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
There's no limit to the amount of money I'd put on Stanford at +21.

A lesser Oregon team beat a much stronger Stanford team in 2010 by three touchdowns...

I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon rolls them by 30.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)

That terrible defense shut out a top-15 offense last month. (Arizona) When you talk about how many more offensive possessions Oregon has, that also goes towards the defense. Of course they will give up more points & yards because they are on the field for more drives. Yet they are still in the middle of the pack nationwide in the rankings. It's not Notre Dame's defense, but it's not terrible, although they are pretty banged up now.