Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
I can buy this argument this week...but in three weeks, if Oregon is still undefeated, I highly doubt it.

Agreed, if someone wants to argue that ND's accomplishments with their schedule have been more impressive so far than Oregon, that's fine. However, if Oregon wins their next 3 games, there's no chance Oregon won't end up higher than ND in the BCS. Oregon doesn't even have to win in impressive fashion, and they'll be in the BCS Title Game if they finish undefeated.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Oregon's defense isn't great, but it's not terrible. They've held their 7 of their 9 opponents (not including Tn Tech) to below their season average in points. The only truly bad game they had on defense was against USC. I also wonder how many of the points they've allowed this year came against their starting defense, as they've played their second stringers so often in the second half of games.

Also, quick math shows me that the average scoring offense Kansas State has faced this year is 51.6 in the rankings, and Notre Dame's is 69.5.

Oregon's defense is really beat up right now...but let's face it, no one has come even close to stopping Oregon's offense yet. Even with a marginal defense, which I think is a fair characterization of Oregon's defense, their offense is so head and shoulders above everyone else's offense, that you have no chance.

I suspect the only teams that could possibly slow them down reside in the Southeastern Conference.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Enough already. I'm an ND fan as well, but you're outrageous at this point.

Oregon is ahead of them because they clearly appear to be the better football team. Same with KSU. This has zero to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season.

If you have watched all 3 teams play, and think ND is better than either of them - then you're just a homer. Hell, even if you haven't watched them play, look at the results of the games (as the article went through), you'd have to put Oregon and KSU ahead of them.

Put another way:

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
There's no limit to the amount of money I'd put on Stanford at +21.

And along these lines...I dunno what the line will be on the ND-SC game, but I plan on putting a crapload of money on SC.

My guess is, assuming both win this week, that SC will be close to a pick'em. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll be getting a few points.

Van Pelt said today that of the 5 Stanford losses in the last 3 years, 3 of the losses have come by a combined 14 points. The other 2 were to Oregon by a total of 44 points.

Stanford doesnt matchup up well with Oregon. 21 is a lot of points but I could see a 48-24 type game tomorrow.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Van Pelt said today that of the 5 Stanford losses in the last 3 years, 3 of the losses have come by a combined 14 points. The other 2 were to Oregon by a total of 44 points.

Stanford doesnt matchup up well with Oregon. 21 is a lot of points but I could see a 48-24 type game tomorrow.

The team that matches up best with Oregon is probably USC...hopefully we will see that rematch in the Pac 12 Championship game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
And along these lines...I dunno what the line will be on the ND-SC game, but I plan on putting a crapload of money on SC.

My guess is, assuming both win this week, that SC will be close to a pick'em. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll be getting a few points.

Me too. I'm hoping for a PK or ND -1 so the ND fans can push the line close to 3. I'll probably take USC ML.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
The team that matches up best with Oregon is probably USC...hopefully we will see that rematch in the Pac 12 Championship game.

Yup, USC atleast has the athletes. Stanford just doesnt. They can go toe to toe with anyone who wants to play physical but cant keep up with Oregon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)

My favorite storyline of the next few weeks is that the SEC's championship streak mostly rests on the shoulders of their old friend Lane Kiffin. If he wins his next 3 games, there will be an SEC team in the final.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
ND's offense is more run-oriented and thus runs more clock, resulting in fewer possessions. The goal of coaches is to win games, and they really care zero about margin of victory.

LOL. Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Oregon is primarily a running offense as well. They score ALOT quicker than ND because they have much more offensive talent. A team with a dominant defense will give their team a TON of offensive possessions because the other team keeps going 3 and out. EVERY coach including Kelly wants to win and win by alot. Nobody including the Vest went out thinking, I just want to win by a little. I'm a fan of a team that won a hell of alot more than ND with clock eating and dominant defense and the main reason the margin of victory small at times was because the offense was complete bulls*** not because Tressel only wanted to win by a little.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Enough already. I'm an ND fan as well, but you're outrageous at this point.

Oregon is ahead of them because they clearly appear to be the better football team. Same with KSU. This has zero to do with pre-season rankings this late in the season.

If you have watched all 3 teams play, and think ND is better than either of them - then you're just a homer. Hell, even if you haven't watched them play, look at the results of the games (as the article went through), you'd have to put Oregon and KSU ahead of them.

I didnt know you were a ND fan.

Oregon has 2-3 players that are head and shoulders above anything ND has on their roster. They have probably one of the most dangerous offensive players in the nation on their team and he's not even their main weapon. We'll see how it holds up against a really really good defense possibly from the SEC but as of now its pretty clear their talent is why people think they are so good.

The best player in the Big Ten couldnt even start on their team.

I have a few questions. The answer may obvious but it's not coming to me at the moment. When a punt is executed and the ball hits a member of the the receiving team, if it's recovered by the punting team they keep possesion. Is this just an NFL rule? If the punt is blocked, why is that not considered the same as hitting a member of the receiving team (punt returner or blocker) and it be a free ball? What is the NFL rule on the blocked punt?