Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Not just on here, but at work and on FB, ND fans are so defensive. Everyone I know didn't even go to ND. it's like no other fan base I have communicated with.

Not just on here, but at work and on FB, fans of other teams are so hateful towards ND. Everyone I know didn't even go to a rival school or have a reason to not like them. It's like no other randomly spiteful fans I have communicated with.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Not just on here, but at work and on FB, fans of other teams are so hateful towards ND. Everyone I know didn't even go to a rival school or have a reason to not like them. It's like no other randomly spiteful fans I have communicated with.

Thanks for proving my point. Talking sports with you is like trying to talk to an infant.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Not just on here, but at work and on FB, ND fans are so defensive. Everyone I know didn't even go to ND. it's like no other fan base I have communicated with.

I actually have a soft spot for ND; I don't dislike them at all. And for damn sure I will be cheering for them Saturday to avoid having another All-SEC BCS Championship game. I was just calling it like I saw it, which, was obviously what the vast majority was seeing.

But of course, now many of the ND fans are going to get vitriolic about it because they feel like they've been disrespected over the last several weeks.

I'm sorry, but almost every objective observer had Oregon ahead of ND. Having an opinion isn't disrespectful.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
Thanks for proving my point.

I knew you'd say that, but it doesn't make my point any less true. People just love to b**** about Notre Dame. Can't tell you how many tweets or FB statuses I have seen saying "Just 1 game closer to seeing Alabama crush ND by 50!". It's really sad how many people care more about ND losing than their own team winning.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
I knew you'd say that, but it doesn't make my point any less true. People just love to b**** about Notre Dame. Can't tell you how many tweets or FB statuses I have seen saying "Just 1 game closer to seeing Alabama crush ND by 50!". It's really sad how many people care more about ND losing than their own team winning.

Look, anytime you choose to be a fan of a team like Notre Dame or the Cowboys or the Celtics, whatever, you are going to have to listen to a lot of people's opinions on your team. Those are very national teams with large fanbases, and those large fanbases tend to annoy the hell out of other fans in a way that others don't (because they don't have so many fans). Teams with huge followings tend to be very polarizing because you have an awful lot of people expressing their views to an awful lot of other people who get tired of hearing them. It has nothing to do with people loving to b**** about Notre Dame. It has everything to do with the Golden Domers rubbing their historical success in the faces of other fanbases and annoying the ever-living hell out of them. So of course they are going to take every chance to annoy you right back.

Get used to it.

And don't flatter yourself.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Sorry the score won't be 75-72, but it could still be a great football game.

Coming from a guy with a team in the SEC, this post is interesting.

Not sure how anything ND has done this season is considered 'exciting' honestly. And no, I don't want a 75/72 game either, but I guess something about a defensive battle isn't appealing.

Offense > defense in terms of which is more enjoyable to watch. And lets be honest, only the true fans of a team really think a defensive oriented team is a joy to watch. No one else gives a damn about watching 10 points in a game. If I wanted to watch that, I'd watch soccer. About the same amount of scoring.

And yes, my team is a mediocre offensive team that relies on defense. I'd much rather watch a team that I thought could score 40 points a game, with an average defense instead.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Look, anytime you choose to be a fan of a team like Notre Dame or the Cowboys or the Celtics, whatever, you are going to have to listen to a lot of people's opinions on your team. Those are very national teams with large fanbases, and those large fanbases tend to annoy the hell out of other fans in a way that others don't (because they don't have so many fans). Teams with huge followings tend to be very polarizing because you have an awful lot of people expressing their views to an awful lot of other people who get tired of hearing them. It has nothing to do with people loving to b**** about Notre Dame. It has everything to do with the Golden Domers rubbing their historical success in the faces of other fanbases and annoying the ever-living hell out of them. So of course they are going to take every chance to annoy you right back.

Get used to it.

And don't flatter yourself.

Right, I'm just saying it goes both ways. People are "so defensive over ND" because so many people are so hateful of ND.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
Right, I'm just saying it goes both ways. People are "so defensive over ND" because so many people are so hateful of ND.

If you go back and read the thread from Thursday and Friday you will get a better idea of what Brian is talking about.

Look at how HH has behaved.

I actually have a soft spot for ND; I don't dislike them at all. And for damn sure I will be cheering for them Saturday to avoid having another All-SEC BCS Championship game. I was just calling it like I saw it, which, was obviously what the vast majority was seeing.

But of course, now many of the ND fans are going to get vitriolic about it because they feel like they've been disrespected over the last several weeks.

I'm sorry, but almost every objective observer had Oregon ahead of ND. Having an opinion isn't disrespectful.

Having an opinion isn't disrespectful, but when you spend weeks talking about how much better Oregon and KSU are than ND and then those two go out and wet themselves, then expect to hear about it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Having an opinion isn't disrespectful, but when you spend weeks talking about how much better Oregon and KSU are than ND and then those two go out and wet themselves, then expect to hear about it.

Did I spend weeks?

I spent like 5 posts expressing my opinion that Oregon and KState were the better teams. And I wasn't rude about it, either. You just happened to disagree.

Which is fine. But just remember, your Domers almost lost to Pittsburgh at home a few weeks ago. The fact that ND managed to squeak out a win while Oregon lost in OT to Standford doesn't exactly prove much of anything.

Now I understand your right to be happy that ND will be #1 in about two hours, but you don't have to be a cocksucker about it.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
Yeah when they play teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina that's easy.

It's pretty amazing that 5 other SEC teams are ranked in the top 10, yet Alabama only played two of them. (They will play a 3rd in the conf. champ. game)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
Did I spend weeks?

I spent like 5 posts expressing my opinion that Oregon and KState were the better teams. And I wasn't rude about it, either. You just happened to disagree.

Which is fine. But just remember, your Domers almost lost to Pittsburgh at home a few weeks ago. The fact that ND managed to squeak out a win while Oregon lost in OT to Standford doesn't exactly prove much of anything.

Now I understand your right to be happy that ND will be #1 in about two hours, but you don't have to be a cocksucker about it.

There's a key word in your sentence that I bolded.

If you want to play in the national title game you better go undefeated. That's what it proves. ND found a way to win and Oregon didn't and because of that ND is #1 and Oregon isn't.

Style points are all fine and great, but in the end all that matters is you that win every game you play no matter how ugly they get.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
There's a key word in your sentence that I bolded.

If you want to play in the national title game you better go undefeated. That's what it proves. ND found a way to win and Oregon didn't and because of that ND is #1 and Oregon isn't.

Style points are all fine and great, but in the end all that matters is you that win every game you play no matter how ugly they get.

I understand that completely.

Which is why I didn't say a thing about who should be ranked #1.

A few calls by the officials or one play here or there doesn't really tell us much about who the better team is, which is what these discussions have been about.

I absolutely agree that ND should be #1 right now.

Doesn't mean I think they are the best team in the nation though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)

They remind me of Cowboys/Yankees/Canadians/Celtic fans. The arrogance just is murder.

I saw a stat tonight that made me chuckle. Manziel has forced more fumbles this season than Te'o (1-0). In all honesty, I still have no doubt that Tuitt and Nix are the best players on ND's defense, as Te'o's been extremely average the last 3 games. It would be a shame if they don't give Manziel the Heisman just because he's a freshman. Te'o's a very good defensive player on a great defensive team, but his stats outside of the 6 interceptions (4 on deflected passes) just don't add up to being the best player in the country. Who do you guys think should be the Heisman as of now?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
@LindseyThiry: Lane Kiffin confirms Matt Barkley is out for Notre Dame.

@LindseyThiry: RS freshman Max Wittek will start for USC against Notre Dame.

I would say that USC has no chance, but who figured that the FBS worst defense would hold K-State to 24 points. Fight On!

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
I saw a stat tonight that made me chuckle. Manziel has forced more fumbles this season than Te'o (1-0). In all honesty, I still have no doubt that Tuitt and Nix are the best players on ND's defense, as Te'o's been extremely average the last 3 games. It would be a shame if they don't give Manziel the Heisman just because he's a freshman. Te'o's a very good defensive player on a great defensive team, but his stats outside of the 6 interceptions (4 on deflected passes) just don't add up to being the best player in the country. Who do you guys think should be the Heisman as of now?

Manziel. Without a doubt. However, him winning the Heisman would be like Trout winning the MVP this year, so I'm not sure it happens.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:47 AM)
I would say that USC has no chance, but who figured that the FBS worst defense would hold K-State to 24 points. Fight On!

If this causes USC to throw underneath more to their receivers, it could actually work out better for them than trying to hit the long ball all night with Barkley. A lot of USC fans hate how they've called plays for Barkley this year and that he seems to lock in too much on Lee. Saw on twitter that if he played this weekend, he had a chance to lead the nation in TD passes and interceptions.