Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
If this causes USC to throw underneath more to their receivers, it could actually work out better for them than trying to hit the long ball all night with Barkley. A lot of USC fans hate how they've called plays for Barkley this year and that he seems to lock in too much on Lee. Saw on twitter that if he played this weekend, he had a chance to lead the nation in TD passes and interceptions.

The USC fans I know have been wanting them to run the ball more all year, which would happen under a freshman QB. However, Notre Dame is not the best team to run against, so who knows.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
I have a few questions. The answer may obvious but it's not coming to me at the moment. When a punt is executed and the ball hits a member of the the receiving team, if it's recovered by the punting team they keep possesion. Is this just an NFL rule? If the punt is blocked, why is that not considered the same as hitting a member of the receiving team (punt returner or blocker) and it be a free ball? What is the NFL rule on the blocked punt?

One is beyond the line of scrimmage, the other is not. The rule is not applied behind the line of scrimmage.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Having an opinion isn't disrespectful, but when you spend weeks talking about how much better Oregon and KSU are than ND and then those two go out and wet themselves, then expect to hear about it.

You know a little humility goes a long way. ND is damned lucky to be where they are right now.

I saw a stat tonight that made me chuckle. Manziel has forced more fumbles this season than Te'o (1-0). In all honesty, I still have no doubt that Tuitt and Nix are the best players on ND's defense, as Te'o's been extremely average the last 3 games. It would be a shame if they don't give Manziel the Heisman just because he's a freshman. Te'o's a very good defensive player on a great defensive team, but his stats outside of the 6 interceptions (4 on deflected passes) just don't add up to being the best player in the country. Who do you guys think should be the Heisman as of now?

My vote would be:

1 Braxton Miller

2 Manti Te'o

3 Johnny Manziel

I don't disagree with your point about Tuitt and Nix--they are absolute beasts (both are back next year by the way), but Te'o is the piece that makes the machine run so well. Still, I'd rather see him win SI Sportsman of the Year than the Hiesman.

Braxton Miller has had an amazing year and if OSU beats Michigan I think he deserves it.

Miami is self-imposing again this bowl season. That will be 2 post season bans plus a potential of a third if they win Saturday b/c Miami is also giving up their appearance in the ACC title game if they get there.

That will make the NCAA's job really easy come spring time when the penalties should be given out. Probably something along the same lines as what Ohio State got for scholarship reductions. Worst case scenario is probably UNC.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Miami is self-imposing again this bowl season. That will be 2 post season bans plus a potential of a third if they win Saturday b/c Miami is also giving up their appearance in the ACC title game if they get there.

That will make the NCAA's job really easy come spring time when the penalties should be given out. Probably something along the same lines as what Ohio State got for scholarship reductions. Worst case scenario is probably UNC.

Giving Ga Tech a chance at a BCS game and the title of worst BCS team ever.

Wait a minute--they're 12 days away from holding the ACC Championship game and Miami can suddenly decide they will give up that spot to allow this to count as a year's worth of postseason ban? That seems messed up to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
I don't know if they are the best team, but they are the only undefeated team and that's what matters. Beat USC & their genius coach and ND is deservedly in the final. And a good chance that they play a SEC team of course. BCS choas at its best.

Yes. I was one of the ND detractors last week. They deserve to be number 1 in the country. They are the only undefeated team left and that by itself says a lot. It's not easy to do. (I'm an FSU fan and the 1 point loss @ NC State as our only blemish is killing me). I still don't think ND is the best team in the country, probably not top 5, and believe they will get easily beaten by Alabama or Georgia, but for now they absolutely deserve to be ranked #1. Brian Kelly should get tons of credit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
Great chance of Alabama/Florida. However, with Barkley's injury, ND seems to be in a good spot against an imploding USC team.

Don't think Florida will beat FSU. Driskel is out and playing at FSU and their defense might be too much. I think FSU wins that game.

*Side note* - I don't understand how the Coaches Poll has FSU at #5, yet the AP has them at #10 and they are unranked in one of the computer polls for the BCS. They should really be sitting around 5 or 6.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Be interesting to see if the Maryland/Rutgers move sets off anything else.

Rumor is ACC would target UCONN - obviously for basketball reasons

*Side note* - I don't understand how the Coaches Poll has FSU at #5, yet the AP has them at #10 and they are unranked in one of the computer polls for the BCS. They should really be sitting around 5 or 6.

You don't get to play in the 4th-5th best conference, schedule two FCS teams, and then complain about the computer rankings.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
You don't get to play in the 4th-5th best conference, schedule two FCS teams, and then complain about the computer rankings.

HAHA

And yet ND should play in a BCS bowl when they have two or three losses and beat no one of any consequence...

Come on, man...you are just being ridiculous

HAHA

And yet ND should play in a BCS bowl when they have two or three losses and beat no one of any consequence...

Come on, man...you are just being ridiculous

I've never said ND should play in a BCS bowl with three losses, or even with two losses unless their schedule strength is extremely high.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)

FCS schools weren't their fault. West Virginia and I forget who else were initially scheduled but they both backed out so FSU had to scramble to fill their schedule out or have no game at all. This was pretty well known to anyone who pays attention to more than just 1 team