Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FCS schools weren't their fault. West Virginia and I forget who else were initially scheduled but they both backed out so FSU had to scramble to fill their schedule out or have no game at all. This was pretty well known to anyone who pays attention to more than just 1 team

I'm aware of the circumstances, but the reality is their schedule strength is so bad they aren't going to get considered as a 1-loss team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm aware of the circumstances, but the reality is their schedule strength is so bad they aren't going to get considered as a 1-loss team.

I know. Virginia Tech has been awful this year, Maryland was supposed to be good but not after losing their top 4 QBs and having to play a linebacker, Florida (if they beat them) will be without their QB, Wake and BC are horrible etc...My point was I find it curious that they are ranked so high in the coaches poll yet other polls vary to 10, 17 and completely unranked. That's a pretty ridiculous variance.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
Miami is self-imposing again this bowl season. That will be 2 post season bans plus a potential of a third if they win Saturday b/c Miami is also giving up their appearance in the ACC title game if they get there.

That will make the NCAA's job really easy come spring time when the penalties should be given out. Probably something along the same lines as what Ohio State got for scholarship reductions. Worst case scenario is probably UNC.

Smart move, Gene Smith could learn a thing or two, however it has been said the self imposing of bowl bans does carry that much weight with the NCAA. The experts are 50/50 on whether we would be eligible this year if we self imposed a ban last year.

Georgetown and St. Johns as non-football members is a possibility for the ACC. That would seemingly push Clemson, FSU, Virginia Tech, etc to enhance their desires to leave. This might officially start the chain reaction of creating the 4 16 team superconferences, and the ACC would be the power conference left out.

I tried to add my ideas on how it would shake out, and my head almost exploded.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Georgetown and St. Johns as non-football members is a possibility for the ACC. That would seemingly push Clemson, FSU, Virginia Tech, etc to enhance their desires to leave. This might officially start the chain reaction of creating the 4 16 team superconferences, and the ACC would be the power conference left out.

I'd love to see FSU in the SEC - but Florida and Georgia would never allow it

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I'd love to see FSU in the SEC - but Florida and Georgia would never allow it

Same with South Carolina and Clemson. But the SEC's next choices would be Virginia Tech and ?? (NC State?)

UNC and UVA would make sense for the Big 10.

FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, Cincinatti, and ?? (Georgia Tech?) would be options for the Big 12.

They play Florida this week, if they destroy them, who knows what will happen.

This is the maximum-chaos scenario a couple of friends and I put together last night. The Georgia Tech wins are quite a stretch (and I suppose USC is now too with Barkley out), but not impossible:

Georgia Tech beats Georgia

Oregon State beats Oregon

Florida State beats Florida

Stanford beats UCLA

Clemson beats South Carolina

USC beats Notre Dame

Texas beats Kansas State

Wisconsin beats Nebraska

Miami beats Florida State (were unaware of Miami's decision at the time, so I guess substitute Georgia Tech?)

Georgia beats Alabama

UCLA beats Stanford

Projected BCS Standings (mostly complete guesses on our part):

Georiga 11-2

LSU 10-2

Notre Dame 11-1

Texas A&M 10-2

Alabama 11-2

Florida 11-2

Clemson 11-1

Oregon 10-2

Kansas State 10-2

Oklahoma 10-2

Texas 10-2

Florida State 11-2

Oregon State 10-2

South Carolina 10-3

BCS Championship: Georgia vs LSU

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs Oregon

Sugar Bowl: Notre Dame vs Kansas State

Orange Bowl: Georgia Tech vs Rutgers

Rose Bowl: UCLA vs Wisconsin

Clemson, FSU, and Virginia Tech all just got guaranteed home-and-home series with Notre Dame at a minimum of two out of every six years. That's not insignificant when considering their decisions to leave the ACC.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Clemson, FSU, and Virginia Tech all just got guaranteed home-and-home series with Notre Dame at a minimum of two out of every six years. That's not insignificant when considering their decisions to leave the ACC.

It's not that significant. The teams would have home and home games with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 and Alabama, LSU, etc in the SEC. Not to mention the future TV deals of the 4 superconferences. Each of the 64 teams would seemingly be guaranteed 30M a year, minimum.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
It's not that significant. The teams would have home and home games with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 and Alabama, LSU, etc in the SEC. Not to mention the future TV deals of the 4 superconferences. Each of the 64 teams would seemingly be guaranteed 30M a year, minimum.

Yeah not sure on the payouts but it wouldnt be more lucrative to stay in the ACC.

With regards to Rutgers, it sounds like a few things happened to spur the big 10s interest.

1) News Corp(who is a partner with Big 10) just bought a minority interest in the YES network.

2) Rutgers is about to get its medical program back which should improve its graduate school rankings.

That being said, I do think there is a possibility 14 is another school, or that its 14,15,16.

FSU would be stupid not to take a SEC offer. They would make far more money and have far more exposure, and that is true even if they play ND ever year.

I was assuming that the SEC was not an option for FSU and comparing it to other conference options.

I know my posting is sporadic at best. So, if this is a drive-by/he's only posting because they're #1 and 11-0, so be it.

But just wanted to check in and say I'm having a ball this season so far. Not here to gloat about it or say who's better than who and who deserves what, just to say that I'm geniunely ecstatic that for at least a week, Notre Dame is #1. It's a dream that as a fan, you don't want to wake up from. Heck part of me just wants to freeze time and not have to see them play USC this weekend.

It really has been an unbelievable ride so far, and of course I'll be devastated if they lose this weekend. But this is White Sox in 2005 type of experience for some of us. Could be once in a lifetime, as I hold no reservations about them repeating this anytime soon. As evidenced by this year, you need a lot of things to happen, most of which being uncontrollable, to be able to go 11-0.