Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Unreal Te'o's getting so many first place votes by people.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf...-klein/1714173/

As bad as it sounds, the deaths he faced this season may actually work in his favor in terms of the Heisman. He's not only an outstanding player, he is now an even better story.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
As bad as it sounds, the deaths he faced this season may actually work in his favor in terms of the Heisman. He's not only an outstanding player, he is now an even better story.

He has no chance and shouldnt. His stats arent eye-popping enough for a defensive heisman.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Oh he has a chance, as the link someone just posted shows.

In their partial survey after this weekend. His stats as a defensive player isnt Heisman worthy regardless of which team he plays on. If he won the Heisman it would be one of the worst winners of all time. 6 picks and less than 100 tackles going into the final weekend? Thats like a very, very good CB. But he doesnt return punts, doesnt play CB and doesnt run back TD's. Just like Honey Badger it would be a travesty. Charles Woodson was the winner because he was the best player on the field at all times scoring for the offense, defense and special teams. But Teo isnt even as productive as Suh was when he finished second. If he wins it would be because everyone else in the running is an underclassmen and his personal story. His production is just not Heisman worthy.

Could you even say he's the best defensive player in the country? I sure wouldnt.

How about comparing him to the best backer (and not even the best defensive player) on the other undefeated team in the country?

Manti Te'o: 98 tackles, 5.6 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, nine pass breakups, and six interceptions.

Ryan Shazier: 110 total tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, 11 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and an interception that was returned for a touchdown.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
In their partial survey after this weekend. His stats as a defensive player isnt Heisman worthy regardless of which team he plays on. If he won the Heisman it would be one of the worst winners of all time. 6 picks 1.5 sacks and less than 100 tackles going into the final weekend? Thats like a very, very good CB. But he doesnt return punts, doesnt play CB and doesnt run back TD's. Just like Honey Badger it would be a travesty. Charles Woodson was the winner because he was the best player on the field at all times scoring for the offense, defense and special teams. But Teo isnt even as productive as Suh was when he finished second. If he wins it would be because everyone else in the running is an underclassmen and his personal story. His production is just not Heisman worthy.

Could you even say he's the best defensive player in the country? I sure wouldnt.

How about comparing him to the best backer (and not even the best defensive player) on the other undefeated team in the country?

He's not even the best defensive player on his own team (Tuitt has much more impressive stats). Jarvis Jones of UGa is probably the most impactful defensive player in the country. Rock, Te'o has 1.5 sacks, not 10.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
In their partial survey after this weekend. His stats as a defensive player isnt Heisman worthy regardless of which team he plays on. If he won the Heisman it would be one of the worst winners of all time. 6 picks and less than 100 tackles going into the final weekend? Thats like a very, very good CB. But he doesnt return punts, doesnt play CB and doesnt run back TD's. Just like Honey Badger it would be a travesty. Charles Woodson was the winner because he was the best player on the field at all times scoring for the offense, defense and special teams. But Teo isnt even as productive as Suh was when he finished second. If he wins it would be because everyone else in the running is an underclassmen and his personal story. His production is just not Heisman worthy.

You are confusing me saying he has a chance based on his that partial survey and his great story with me saying he should win the Heisman. I have no idea who should win or not, I don't follow enough of the other teams to really say.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
He's not even the best defensive player on his own team (Tuitt has much more impressive stats). Jarvis Jones of UGa is probably the most impactful defensive player in the country. Rock, Te'o has 1.5 sacks, not 10.

Brain fart.

To me Clowney is the most disruptive defensive force in the country.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)

Not sure I'd agree with the Jarvis Jones bit. He flat out disappeared in a few games this year, including the blowout vs. South Carolina. I'd argue that Jadeveon Clowney has more of an impactful presence than Jones, and I don't think he is remotely close to being deserving of such talk that Te'o is getting for the heisman.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Not sure I'd agree with the Jarvis Jones bit. He flat out disappeared in a few games this year, including the blowout vs. South Carolina. I'd argue that Jadeveon Clowney has more of an impactful presence than Jones, and I don't think he is remotely close to being deserving of such talk that Te'o is getting for the heisman.

Trust me, I'm a huge Clowney fan. That USC/UGa game last year was probably my favorite game of the year. I actually saw a projection that had GT playing USC in a bowl game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 07:05 AM)
My vote would be:

1 Braxton Miller

2 Manti Te'o

3 Johnny Manziel

I don't disagree with your point about Tuitt and Nix--they are absolute beasts (both are back next year by the way), but Te'o is the piece that makes the machine run so well. Still, I'd rather see him win SI Sportsman of the Year than the Hiesman.

Braxton Miller has had an amazing year and if OSU beats Michigan I think he deserves it.

LOL. Explain your reasoning of Miller for the Heisman. His stats aren't even close to some other QBs. He's a decent passer, nothing great. Undefeated team = Heisman winner? Lame.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
LOL. Explain your reasoning of Miller for the Heisman. His stats aren't even close to some other QBs. He's a decent passer, nothing great. Undefeated team = Heisman winner? Lame.

He's not even remotely deserving and I'm a fan. Maybe next year or 2014.

Marqise Lee is still probably my #1. As of right now he has more yards from scrimmage than Desmond Howard had in his heisman campaign and has about as many total yards taking into account the kick returns of Desmond. There is only one other play in the country with 100 catches or more and he has 600 more yards than Austin does. To me, he is a dominant, dynamic offensive player.

I think that came out wrong. What I MEANT to say was, I dont think either Te'o or Clowney are deserving of any talk for the Heisman, not even remotely. But somehow that didn't correlate to what I typed. Te'o has done nothing overall to deserve an invite to NY, much less actual consideration for the trophy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Trust me, I'm a huge Clowney fan. That USC/UGa game last year was probably my favorite game of the year. I actually saw a projection that had GT playing USC in a bowl game.

No matter what GT's record is, I want NO part of that offense. We can't even stop FCS teams running the triple option. I want nothing to do with a Paul Johnson team with 3+ weeks to prepare.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
No matter what GT's record is, I want NO part of that offense. We can't even stop FCS teams running the triple option. I want nothing to do with a Paul Johnson team with 3+ weeks to prepare.

Usually it's the teams that have a long time to prepare for Johnson's offense that are able to shut them down. Don't discredit how awful GT's defense is. I think Jason Campbell could light them up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 07:08 AM)
Nearly every team that gets to 11-0 or better against a difficult schedule needs some luck to get there.

Even more reason for a little humility... Rather than posting a bunch of crap trying to defend something that doesn't need to be defended. Just a thought..

QUOTE (Fotop @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I know my posting is sporadic at best. So, if this is a drive-by/he's only posting because they're #1 and 11-0, so be it.

But just wanted to check in and say I'm having a ball this season so far. Not here to gloat about it or say who's better than who and who deserves what, just to say that I'm geniunely ecstatic that for at least a week, Notre Dame is #1. It's a dream that as a fan, you don't want to wake up from. Heck part of me just wants to freeze time and not have to see them play USC this weekend.

It really has been an unbelievable ride so far, and of course I'll be devastated if they lose this weekend. But this is White Sox in 2005 type of experience for some of us. Could be once in a lifetime, as I hold no reservations about them repeating this anytime soon. As evidenced by this year, you need a lot of things to happen, most of which being uncontrollable, to be able to go 11-0.

Nice post. :)

With regards to Rutgers, it sounds like a few things happened to spur the big 10s interest.

1) News Corp(who is a partner with Big 10) just bought a minority interest in the YES network.

2) Rutgers is about to get its medical program back which should improve its graduate school rankings.

That being said, I do think there is a possibility 14 is another school, or that its 14,15,16.

I think getting the Big Ten Network on in households in NY and NJ is the biggest reason for their interest.

Well, there's this thing where he takes the ball and runs with it, and does it pretty well. You can't just look at his passing stats.