Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Report: Boise State, San Diego State, BYU may return to Mountain West

Three former Mountain West Conference schools have all entered into discussions with the conference about possibly returning to the league, ESPN.com’s Brett McMurphy reported Monday.

Boise State, San Diego State and BYU — which have all taken steps to leave the conference in the past two years — are the teams that have inquired about returning, according to the report.

The inquiries follow a decision last week that awards an automatic major bowl berth to the highest-ranked team of the so-called “Group of Five” conferences — the Big East, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt. That means both the Mountain West and Big East are on an equal playing field for a major bowl berth.

Because the Big East has now lost six teams in the last year alone, McMurphy reports that Boise State and San Diego State may be reconsidering their options

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 06:48 AM)
Well, there's this thing where he takes the ball and runs with it, and does it pretty well. You can't just look at his passing stats.

Wow, great point! Never thought of that before. Not like 2 of the other QBs in contention don't run with it, with better passing stats.

Cool. Just wanted to be 100% clear that your argument is "best player on an undefeated team."

No, not at all. If KSU lost to Baylor 98-97 because of their defense, then Klein probably gets my vote, but he choked big time when it counted.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
So, there was an insider who called Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten awhile ago and he hit us again with this nugget to keep an eye on: UNC and Texas. TIFWIW

Texas would be a wet dream for the Big Ten, though I am not sure how they would work around the Longhorn Network.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
Texas would be a wet dream for the Big Ten, though I am not sure how they would work around the Longhorn Network.

If Mack Brown has any say the Longhorn Network would be a goner.

So, there was an insider who called Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten awhile ago and he hit us again with this nugget to keep an eye on: UNC and Texas. TIFWIW

I think too much of UNC's identity is wrapped up in their basketball rivalry with Duke, and I don't see Texas giving up the Longhorn Network. I think Texas will either stay in the Big 12 or copy ND and join the ACC for all sports but football but have an agreement to play 5 games a year against ACC teams.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
I think too much of UNC's identity is wrapped up in their basketball rivalry with Duke, and I don't see Texas giving up the Longhorn Network. I think Texas will either stay in the Big 12 or copy ND and join the ACC for all sports but football but have an agreement to play 5 games a year against ACC teams.

Texas isnt going to the ACC. And I cant see why they would want a 5 game schedule against the ACC, when it would be worse than a Big 12 schedule.

Duke is likely on the outside looking in. The reality is that Duke should be approaching other conferences about joining as a Basketball/academic school only.

I doubt UNC and Texas go to the Big. But I do think that a few ACC teams are looking for better homes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
I assume that is an OSU insider, not a the Northwestern guy who keeps claiming he works at the Big 10 offices.

He's been very reliable, even calling Urban to OSU months before it was out there, and he said watch Rutgers and Maryland awhile ago. He knows people very high up at OSU and the conference. As I said, take it for what its worth but they appear to be in play.

At the end of the day we are going to have 4 super conferences and its all about grabbing your slice of the pie. The Big Ten offers alot more money than most conferences if not all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)

I could buy that. Crazier things have happened. UNC could still schedule an annual bball game against Duke at a "neutral" site like Time Warner, and TX could probably keep the Red River football game vs, OK in Dallas.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I could buy that. Crazier things have happened. UNC could still schedule an annual bball game against Duke at a "neutral" site like Time Warner, and TX could probably keep the Red River football game vs, OK in Dallas.

Lets say the 4 super conferences for some reason have the names north, south east and west.

West is obviously Pac-12 +some of the other teams maybe coming from the B12.

North is big ten with some of the northeast folks and maybe even some of the Big 12 guys

South is the SEC

Whats the east then?

Conferences are scrambling to keep themselves alive but I think Maryland said alot yesterday when they essentially said to be financially viable they had to leave the ACC. To me that screams that the ACC is doomed.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
ESPN owns LHN. Fox owns a lot of the BTN. That's not going to work.

Also another great point.

It lining up to be Fox vs ESPN for these markets. ESPN owns the SEC. Fox now owns the New York TV market with YES, owns the midwest with Big Ten Network. Whats next?

A great point was brought up on another board, what is really the ONLY TV event that you just have to watch live, therefore actually watching commercials. s***, what program do people watch just for the commercials? The network giants are realizing this and are in a land war over these markets.

Edited by RockRaines

He's been very reliable, even calling Urban to OSU months before it was out there, and he said watch Rutgers and Maryland awhile ago. He knows people very high up at OSU and the conference. As I said, take it for what its worth but they appear to be in play.

At the end of the day we are going to have 4 super conferences and its all about grabbing your slice of the pie. The Big Ten offers alot more money than most conferences if not all.

UNC and Texas to the Big Ten would be far more surprising/shocking than Urban to OSU or Maryland/Rutgers to the Big Ten.

The problem for Maryland was that they built on the belief that the ACC would make them money.

Unfortunately that conference is stuck in a terrible TV deal and was so weak that it had to offer ND a deal that will ultimately destroy the conference.

Hate the big10 or love, you are either in, or you are out. Notre Dame didnt want in, you move on.

The Big10 already has 2 to many schools in Indiana (I kid I kid). :D

ESPN has the East with the ACC, I think.

I'm no expert, but I keep reading that all is not rosey with the Longhorn Network. It would no doubt have to get bought out by Fox/BTN for TX to join the B1G, but that might not be as big a deal breaker as may appear at first blush.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
UNC and Texas to the Big Ten would be far more surprising/shocking than Urban to OSU or Maryland/Rutgers to the Big Ten.

Texas at this point yes, UNC not really.

There are rumors that many moons ago the Big10 approached UNC and the UNC faculty/admin were interested. Its merely hearsay on my part, so who knows.

I think Texas and the Big 12 are going to be proactive and try and nab Clemson/FSU before everything goes to hell. And Im pretty sure the SEC and Big want someone else to be the villain who destroyed the ACC.