Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

ACC supposedly voting tomorrow on Louisville.

Louisville stations reporting that the meeting is underway right now, and the only options on the table are adding Louisville or adding nobody. I figured that FSU and Clemson would tell the Carolina schools they needed to get Louisville in order to keep them from bolting to the Big 12.

EDIT: Now official--Louisville to ACC

Edited by HickoryHuskers

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill O'Brien takes a PSU team with 30 seniors and drives them to the exact same regular season record as last season.

Urban takes the worst OSU team in 100 years and makes them undefeated.

Obviously O'Brien is Coach of the Year in the conference.

33 years and counting since the last OSU coach won the award.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
Bernstein said Illinois is actively working "back channels" to get a specific coach to replace Beckman that people will like. If they get him, Beckman will be fired. If they cant get him, Beckman will stay for at least another year.

Bernstein is so desperate to act like he knows more than the typical Illini follower on the street. He really doesn't.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Bernstein is so desperate to act like he knows more than the typical Illini follower on the street. He really doesn't.

Personally, I think he enjoys when Illinois embarasses itself, he only seems to discuss them during times like this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Anyone read this about Illinois football yet?

https://sites.google.com/site/truthaboutillinoisfb/home

I'm not sure I buy all the recruiting stuff he said. Zook's 2010 and 2011 classes weren't very good. It looked like he lost some of that recruiting mojo. If this (getting Miles, Morrison, and Brown) were somehow proven to be true I would want to kill someone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Anyone read this about Illinois football yet?

https://sites.google.com/site/truthaboutillinoisfb/home

The notion that last season fell apart because Zook was feeling pressure from the AD is a bit ridiculous. You are a coach in the Big Ten making seven figures. If you can't handle your seat getting a little hot, then how you are gonna handle a full season of pressure from the conference? And I also don't buy that all those top recruits were "locks" to come to Illinois.

I do get his points about giving coaches more time and comparisons to Wisconsin & such. Personally, I would have been fine if Zook had stayed, but he made so many stupid in-game decisions that were obvious to everyone, that doesn't really help your status.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
I'm not sure I buy all the recruiting stuff he said. Zook's 2010 and 2011 classes weren't very good. It looked like he lost some of that recruiting mojo. If this (getting Miles, Morrison, and Brown) were somehow proven to be true I would want to kill someone.

Yeah, f*** that article. Both Weber and Zook were spinning wheels. This entire email/article/post completely ignores the fact that Zook was an awful coach and lucked into that Rose Bowl. His players rarely showed progression throughout a season, and the team for sure didn't. The weakest link in the entire team was special teams, Zook's supposed forte. He benefited from crazy good recruiters to get athletes, but they never were coached properly. Since 2005 Illinois has had just as much talent (if not more) than every team in the Big Ten, but it resulted in barely anything.

I think Illinois CAN be the next Wisconsin - an annual contender for the Rose Bowl. There's no reason they can't be better than Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota or Michigan State. It's a basketball school sure, but once the ball gets rolling fans come out and the support becomes huge. I was at that ASU game last year and you could feel the energy in the stadium was like the 80's and early 90's when Illinois was a good program. Zook was never able to capitalize on the success, just like Weber. If Thomas was hired because he was willing to fire them both, good. They both needed to go and probably should have been shown the door sooner.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
The notion that last season fell apart because Zook was feeling pressure from the AD is a bit ridiculous. You are a coach in the Big Ten making seven figures. If you can't handle your seat getting a little hot, then how you are gonna handle a full season of pressure from the conference? And I also don't buy that all those top recruits were "locks" to come to Illinois.

I do get his points about giving coaches more time and comparisons to Wisconsin & such. Personally, I would have been fine if Zook had stayed, but he made so many stupid in-game decisions that were obvious to everyone, that doesn't really help your status.

If he was willing, I would have put him in place as a recruiting coordinator making bank. The guy was able to bring in NFL caliber talent, even if the college scouts didn't give him the high rankings. But he sucked as a coach.

I have zero faith in Beckham. Even if there was some discord in the locker room because of the change, the fact is the players completely quit and failed to make any measurable improvement. And really, most regressed. It was obvious they were poorly coached in all phases.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)

His 2010 and 2011 classes were terrible. There are only a handfull of players in those two classes combined that look like they even have the potential to be above average Big 10 players. The 2010 class is absolutely awful outside of Brown and the 2011 class while young does not appear to have a single difference maker. Zook's 2012 class was horrendous as well when he got fired. We may have kept Brown if Zook stays (hard to say for sure because the reason we got him was that we offered his brother who isn't good but Louisville did the same thing to land them) but I don't buy that they were going to get Morrison or Miles for a second. It is nice that Zook's buddy thinks they were but Morrison and Miles both committed to programs before the 2011 season even started and before Zook's job was in jeopardy. Those guys weren't coming to Illinois if Zook gets an extension.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Yeah, f*** that article. Both Weber and Zook were spinning wheels. This entire email/article/post completely ignores the fact that Zook was an awful coach and lucked into that Rose Bowl. His players rarely showed progression throughout a season, and the team for sure didn't. The weakest link in the entire team was special teams, Zook's supposed forte. He benefited from crazy good recruiters to get athletes, but they never were coached properly. Since 2005 Illinois has had just as much talent (if not more) than every team in the Big Ten, but it resulted in barely anything.

I think Illinois CAN be the next Wisconsin - an annual contender for the Rose Bowl. There's no reason they can't be better than Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota or Michigan State. It's a basketball school sure, but once the ball gets rolling fans come out and the support becomes huge. I was at that ASU game last year and you could feel the energy in the stadium was like the 80's and early 90's when Illinois was a good program. Zook was never able to capitalize on the success, just like Weber. If Thomas was hired because he was willing to fire them both, good. They both needed to go and probably should have been shown the door sooner.

The weakest link last year was the offense, as it was this year, because Zook hasn't recruited a good offensive player since the 2008 class. His coaching of the special teams was impressively bad though. His 2009 class was very good on the defensive side of the ball but you have to go back to landing Leshoure and Jenkins in 2008 to find a good offensive player.

The bottom line is that if you believe Zook's buddy that the season fell apart because he didn't get an extension based on 6 games, then all that does is confirm that Thomas made the right choice in firing Zook. If Zook is so fragile that not getting an extension for a half season of good results against terrible competition than he was never going to be truly successful.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
So it seems that a lot of people are starting to run with a GT to Big10 story. From what I can tell its all coming from an online blogger that has been way off.

It's likely going to happen, but not as soon as some of these reports indicate.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I think there is going to be a lull until North Carolina and Virginia get sorted out. The only other idea is that the Big10 is really going to 18, and will be splitting the conference into 2 (basically old big v new big).

I'll be stunned if GT isn't next. Who knows, they might be waiting until Monday to announce with the ACCCG on Saturday.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
I think there is going to be a lull until North Carolina and Virginia get sorted out. The only other idea is that the Big10 is really going to 18, and will be splitting the conference into 2 (basically old big v new big).

At that point the BIG should just take over the NCAA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I'll be stunned if GT isn't next. Who knows, they might be waiting until Monday to announce with the ACCCG on Saturday.

I would have liked to have seen them in the Big 12, but let's hope this opens the floodgates on Florida State + others to the Big 12.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
I would have liked to have seen them in the Big 12, but let's hope this opens the floodgates on Florida State + others to the Big 12.

Due to academics, GT would have never approved Big 12. From everything I've heard, GT's Board of Trustees cares very little about sports.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Due to academics, GT would have never approved Big 12. From everything I've heard, GT's Board of Trustees cares very little about sports.

Sorta what I figured. UT, KU and ISU are the only AAU schools left, I believe.