Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Undefeated in a BCS conference? No. Some mid major undefeated? Absolutely.

It's possible. OSU's schedule was so weak this season, people were saying that Alabama may have still passed them had the Buckeyes been eligible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
It's possible. OSU's schedule was so weak this season, people were saying that Alabama may have still passed them had the Buckeyes been eligible.

Hard to tell since the voters made it a point to vote the Buckeyes down as far as possible because of the ineligibility (just look at the AP votes today for example). Personally I would vote a 1 loss Bama team in simply because Bama>the rest of the SEC and college football.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
Until the #5 team b****es & b****es that they got screwed over by not getting invited to the party.

I have a feeling that once the playoff starts, and they see the interest level and money rolling in, they will be leaping over each other to get a larger playoff in place.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
I have a feeling that once the playoff starts, and they see the interest level and money rolling in, they will be leaping over each other to get a larger playoff in place.

This is my biggest fear for college football, and the reason I am anti playoffs. I see this quickly expanding past 8 teams.

The larger the playoff pool, the less the regular season games mean. I love that every game is critical to the success of your season, and if there's an 8, or 16 team playoff, that doesn't matter nearly as much.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
This is my biggest fear for college football, and the reason I am anti playoffs. I see this quickly expanding past 8 teams.

The larger the playoff pool, the less the regular season games mean. I love that every game is critical to the success of your season, and if there's an 8, or 16 team playoff, that doesn't matter nearly as much.

All of the rest of the levels of college football currently have season ending tourney's.

I don't think the regular season would mean less. The problem with college basketball is you have 30 plus games for hundreds of teams across the country, and the games are on odd times nobody can track. That's what waters down the regular season. Everyone knows when football is on. And even at 16 spots with conference births for mid majors...that would still be very limited.

I think the larger the playoff pool, the more important the regular season is. The jockeying for playoff position will be huge, one small mistep during the year and you could be relegated to a "meaningless" one bowl game. Meaningless is relative of course.

On the other hand, if having a loss or even two doesn't mean your hopes of a championship are out the window, perhaps more big name programs will play big name programs in the nonconference season. Right now that's the biggest problem with college football (aside from the traditionalist problem, which gets rectified I think with a playoff where upsets are more likely) - aside from a few big games, the first 6 weeks of the season sucks.

I'm all about a big tournament. Give me upsets. Give me cinderella stories. If you can make it through the gauntlet, even if you aren't the best team, you're playing the best at the right time and are deserving of the trophy. That's why college basketball is awesome.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
I think the larger the playoff pool, the more important the regular season is. The jockeying for playoff position will be huge, one small mistep during the year and you could be relegated to a "meaningless" one bowl game. Meaningless is relative of course.

I don't understand how the bigger the pool the more important the regular season is. I could understand this for smaller schools i suppose.

Last year's LSU vs Bama game, that was huge in the regular season because at least in theory the winner's NC hopes were still alive, and the loser was done.

Stanford vs ND this year, same deal. KSU and Oregon being upset, TAMU upsetting Alabama (still got in, but same idea)... All these losses are meaningless when there is a 16 team pool because they all make it.

Sure, they go from a shot at a 1 seed to a 4-6 seed, but that excitement of each game being a potential win or go home is completely gone. Unless, again, you are talking about smaller schools who need the larger pool to get a shot.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
After last nights performance, would u guys even put Nd in the Top 10?

Yes. Easily. I honestly think they would have beaten Oregon and K State. Bama was just a nightmare matchup for them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
All of the rest of the levels of college football currently have season ending tourney's.

This is correct, but that has nothing to do with my opinion on why I don't want to see a larger tourney.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)

I don't agree with this at all. 16 teams would basically mean any major conference team with two losses or fewer gets in (Depending on eligibility rules of course. The SEC would demand no limit while everyone else would want a maximum). So many of the games that mattered this year would become meaningless because teams were already solidly in the field. Alabama and Georgia both make it, Oregon and K-State are both in even with a loss, the ND/Pitt game wouldn't have had nearly as dire consequences, ect.

The only games that would REALLY impact the playoffs would be championship games in single-bid conferences. That's why I really don't want it getting bigger than 8 teams. You still have to have a pretty solid year to make the top-8, if you go much further than that you start getting teams that had disappointing seasons by their standards like LSU and FSU in the field when they didn't do a whole lot to really earn it.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
I don't agree with this at all. 16 teams would basically mean any major conference team with two losses or fewer gets in (Depending on eligibility rules of course. The SEC would demand no limit while everyone else would want a maximum). So many of the games that mattered this year would become meaningless because teams were already solidly in the field. Alabama and Georgia both make it, Oregon and K-State are both in even with a loss, the ND/Pitt game wouldn't have had nearly as dire consequences, ect.

The only games that would REALLY impact the playoffs would be championship games in single-bid conferences. That's why I really don't want it getting bigger than 8 teams. You still have to have a pretty solid year to make the top-8, if you go much further than that you start getting teams that had disappointing seasons by their standards like LSU and FSU in the field when they didn't do a whole lot to really earn it.

I agree with all of this.

No (referring to knightni's question). Unless the Big10 is guaranteed as much money as the SEC regardless of teams, then it would be considered.

The playoff that makes the most sense is 4 Conference Champions (Big, SEC, Pac and whoever is left of Big12/ACC).

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
No (referring to Zoom's question). Unless the Big10 is guaranteed as much money as the SEC regardless of teams, then it would be considered.

The playoff that makes the most sense is 4 Conference Champions (Big, SEC, Pac and whoever is left of Big12/ACC).

I don't think that quite works either because recent history suggests that there is at least one SEC team that is stronger than the champion from several other conferences. Disparity in schedule strength is why I think a lot of these championship games have been ugly of late, you're getting the two teams that had the best season instead of the two best teams.

I think 8 teams is ideal because that should include anyone that has a legitimate claim to a title shot most years. I have no problem with auto-bids to conference champs, though the number is going to be in flux with conference re-alignment (right now, I'd say SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12 and ACC deserve it, though I doubt those all keep auto-bids the next 10 years). That would leave 3-4 wildcards, which makes room for a second SEC team (or whatever the power conference is should it shift), ND if they're deserving, and any undefeated non-AQ conference teams (who should probably get an auto-bid to keep them happy).