Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

This is just the best story ever. I can't stop reading all of it. One thing I wonder is how are we supposed to trust ND hired a private investigator? They apparently aren't going to release investigation reports...also, why weren't authorities called?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
@YahooForde: Was told by ND source Manti Te'o is expected to do 1-on-1 interview today w/ a single TV reporter.” Please be Pat Benkowski.

Pat still around. Last time I saw him was for his traveling trivia show.

Always thought him and Grobstein should host together. That is radio gold.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
If I were Manti Te'os agent, I would try and get him a deal with Skype.

"I am Manti Te'o. You should use Skype. I wish I did."

The end.

Except that he did use Skype with his parents. I know you're joking, but still...if you have a Skype account set up, why would you not add your online girlfriend?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Yeah, just so bizarre. I still have no idea what to make of all of the inconsistencies, and especially the motivations involved here.

This sums up my thoughts. In pure entertainment value here, this is one of the best stories ever. I don't have to feel guilty since nobody was hurt, it's very bizarre and the truth is still emerging.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)

That's kinda where I come down on this - it was probably real (even if a hoax) at first, but then Te'o took the media sympathy/publicity and ran with it.

I still think ND is shady for sitting on this story and allowing news organizations to put out interviews and pieces about this girl knowing full well none of it was real. Whatever it takes to keep the brand clean! They should get sanctioned for that.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
Linebacker at Notre Dame needs to go online to meet girls? He's gay

I sorta hope this is true, as it would make things somewhat more understandable and forgivable. In both the Mormon church and the church of football that's extremely taboo.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:43 AM)
well he and ND probably didnt want a huge distraction from the media if he came out saying it was a scam just days before the title game.

Espn already had the story and sat on it. What other program would have gotten such treatment? If it was OSU they would have broke the story without even fact checking it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
Espn already had the story and sat on it. What other program would have gotten such treatment? If it was OSU they would have broke the story without even fact checking it.

Yes, Notre Dame is the only college football program that gets special treatment.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
Yes, Notre Dame is the only college football program that gets special treatment.

So you think it's normal they sat on this story that long? I've seen them put out generally false stories about other programs without any research. Wouldn't releasing this before the title game get you a ridiculous amount of clicks?

So what is the best case scenario for Teo here? That he was duped into believing this online persona was real but lied and embellished the story about meeting her and how in love he was with her etc, and then playing up his dead girlfriend for sympathy and attention even though he had never met her? I mean even if someone was to give him the benefit of the doubt that he believed she was real (in which case he is a f***ing moron considering he apparently was in an online relationship with her for 3 years yet never met or video chatted her) it doesn't fix the fact that his entire story is a lie.

Edit:

Also, the girlfriend you supposedly love is in a car accident and you don't visit her? She is dying of leukemia but you never visit her?

Yeah, I'm not buying Teo's story at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

The best care scenario for Teo is that he's gay. Otherwise he's looked at as a complete moron or as a manipulative psycho with no conscience, both of which destroy his personality and character. Atleast with being gay there is a struggle emotionally and mentally to coming out, especially given the circumstance he was in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
So you think it's normal they sat on this story that long? I've seen them put out generally false stories about other programs without any research. Wouldn't releasing this before the title game get you a ridiculous amount of clicks?

No, it's not normal. Nothing is normal about college football or most college sports. They are all corrupt and doing shady things.

I don't know why ESPN would give special treatment to ND. NBC, sure I could see that.

Imagine your 10th closest friend. Now imagine them - for a split second - getting cancer. Would you visit them in the hospital?

Thinking of that group - the group just outside of my main group, no matter which group of friends it is - yes, I'd visit them in a heartbeat, and I'd even drive a great distance to do so.

Can you imagine NOT doing that for a girlfriend?