Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
The Mack Brown of the ACC. With what he pulls in at FSU, I don't understand how they can lose a game like N.C. State.

To dominate the trenches like that and not have put up 50 plus points is amazing. They have horrible execution for passing plays. Reminds me of watching a Mike Tice offense, who even with oline dominance would not have a clue about what makes a receiver open.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how last night's performance by Florida has anything to do with Alabama

Alabama's perception is based on their performance in the SEC, which is proving to be weaker than people thought, but if you want to hand me some money by giving me ND and 10 points, I'll gladly take it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Alabama's perception is based on their performance in the SEC, which is proving to be weaker than people thought, but if you want to hand me some money by giving me ND and 10 points, I'll gladly take it.

I think their perception is based off of how they actually looked.

And I don't really think the SEC is proving to be "weaker", they just havent showed up. Michigan played very well, Clemson is a really good team, Florida looked horrible, which was shocking. Georgia didn't look as good as they have before, but not having Jenkins anchoring that line was a big deal against that rushing game.

Bowl games aren't always great indicators of teams or conferences. I didn't watch the entirety of any of those games, but between underclassmen leaving and uninspired play due to injury fear or malaise, injuries, coaching changes, roster fluctuation etc...bowl season can be pretty random. I'm not directly attributed any of that to any specific game, because I didn't watch enough of them, that is a statement about bowls in general.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Teddy Bridgewater made a strong case to be a top 10 pick next year. He made some mistakes out of inexperience, but he looked stellar for the most part.

His touch on end zone balls was spectacular. Hadn't seen him play until then.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
His touch on end zone balls was spectacular. Hadn't seen him play until then.

They had, what, 5 yards rushing in the first half? There was the pick 6 too, but that was primarily the Teddy Bridgewater show in the first half. He wasn't mobile at all, but he was generally smart with holding on to the ball and taking sacks rather than forcing passes into coverage. You would like to see some ability to elude pressure, but with the all out rushes Florida had at times in the second half, he had about 2 seconds to even look downfield before he was getting hit, so you can't fault him too much.

I told my brother-in-law that I plan on watching as much Louisville football as I can next year just to watch him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
I think their perception is based off of how they actually looked.

And I don't really think the SEC is proving to be "weaker", they just havent showed up. Michigan played very well, Clemson is a really good team, Florida looked horrible, which was shocking. Georgia didn't look as good as they have before, but not having Jenkins anchoring that line was a big deal against that rushing game.

Bowl games aren't always great indicators of teams or conferences. I didn't watch the entirety of any of those games, but between underclassmen leaving and uninspired play due to injury fear or malaise, injuries, coaching changes, roster fluctuation etc...bowl season can be pretty random. I'm not directly attributed any of that to any specific game, because I didn't watch enough of them, that is a statement about bowls in general.

2 or 3 of the Florida DBs declared for the draft immediately after the game. I think that tells you where there head was at.

It's only the second time that it has happened. The first was in a Texas/Texas A&M game in 2004. The rule is there because since the defense has a chance to score 2 points by returning a blocked kick, interception, or fumble, there has to be a risk involved for the defense possessing the ball. So if the defense possesses the ball in the field of play and then is downed in their own end zone, it is considered a safety in the same way that it would during a normal play, except that this type of safety is only worth 1 point instead of 2.

Something else that is possible, but incredibly unlikely to ever happen is for the team that scored the touchdown to have the ball downed in their own end zone (97 yards behind them) which would give a 1 point safety to the defense. I guess this could happen if the defense blocked an extra point, ran it almost all the way back, fumbled near their goal line, with an offensive player recovering near the goal line and then going backwards into the end zone and then getting tackled. If this incredibly unlikely event coincided with that team failing to score the rest of the game, a team could actually end a game with 1 point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
ClowneyHit_zps7e5d8075.gif

I don't agree that the Big 10 defenses are better (considering his defense gave up 14 more points), but I think he has a point.

These great SEC defenses sure haven't come to play in the bowl games.

When Louisville, Nebraska, and Michigan are putting up big points against your defenses, you can't really call them great or even good.

I get that these are bowl games and anything can happen, but they sure haven't stepped up to the plate when it was time to.

Edit: I linked to the wrong post... Oh well.

Edited by SexiAlexei