Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty much non-committal with an opinion on all of this, but have enjoyed reading the posts here. A few thoughts:

1. As Badger stated, there is no perfect method. With some conferences having CG's and others not, with imbalanced schedules and Notre Dame and BYU as independents, there are just a ton of scenarios that will be argued by many.

2. I see Badger's argument but can't back it 100%. I do think winning your conference should hold weight. I think strength of schedule should factor in. The reason going too heavy on requiring conference champions is no one wants to see a 7-5 or 8-4 team in the playoff. Last year UCLA could have gotten in at 7-5.

3. I do have a hard time with a team that gets to skip their CG because they "tied" for their division. In that sense it is an advantage to sit at home. Last year Michigan got a Sugar Bowl bid because they sat at home (among other reasons) while Michigan State lost in the CG. Bowl games are a different animal, but something doesn't sit right about it in a playoff. I know last year was an anomaly, but I would argue for a 11-1 conference champion with a reasonble SOS to get in ahead of a team that didn't win their division/conference. Of course conferences could combat this by getting rid of divisions, but then you could have 3-way ties.

My take is I could care less what is done. Just don't f*ck up my New Year's Day or the meaning of the regular season. I know the NFL is popular, but college football is not the NFL and should ot model itself after it.

If they were ever to go to four 16 team conferences, then I would absolutely be for playing off with the 4 conference champions. Think about it. You would basically have a built in 8-team playoff beginning with those CG games.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
My take is I could care less what is done. Just don't f*ck up my New Year's Day or the meaning of the regular season. I know the NFL is popular, but college football is not the NFL and should ot model itself after it.

New Year's has been dead for a while IMO. The most meaningful games are after the 1st now. IMO, you need every major game on the 1st except for the title game.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
New Year's has been dead for a while IMO. The most meaningful games are after the 1st now. IMO, you need every major game on the 1st except for the title game.

It has been wounded, that's for sure

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
If Alabama had 1 loss to LSU and there were 4 other undefeated teams, then Alabama would not deserve to be in. However, that wasn't the case. Alabama had that one loss and there were a bunch of other 1+ loss teams. In that case, pick the best team out of that group, with some weight attached to winning your conference and some weight attached to the quality of the team that they lost to.

Why not?

If there were 4 undefeated teams that would mean atleast 1 of those undefeated teams would be from the ACC/Big East/C-USA/WAC/etc. So if that 4th undefeated team is Cincy, they would be more deserving over that Alabama team who went 11-1 with the one loss to #1 LSU in OT?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)

That would mean that ESPN would have to give up some of its tv rights to these bowl games.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)

It's not dead, 2 of the BCS games including the granddaddy is still there. It's less than what it was, but I almost prefer it this way, I can focus on both BCS games without others on at the same time. I just hope they keep it at about this level. I heard something today that said they were shooting for 3 big bowls dec 31 and 3 on jan 1. I wasn't sure if this included any of the playoff games.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
It's not dead, 2 of the BCS games including the granddaddy is still there. It's less than what it was, but I almost prefer it this way, I can focus on both BCS games without others on at the same time. I just hope they keep it at about this level. I heard something today that said they were shooting for 3 big bowls dec 31 and 3 on jan 1. I wasn't sure if this included any of the playoff games.

Dec. 31 can be a problem depending on what day of the week it is. Many people still have to work that day.

The two things that killed Jan 1 for me are:

(1) No longer multiple games in every timeslot. Used to be able to flip channels and see constant football action for 12 hours without ever seeing a single commercial

(2) All the best teams no longer playing on Jan 1. The top 6 teams now play AFTER Jan 1.

Since I know that I'm never going to get these things back, I guess the best compromise is:

Play the semifinals in primetime on the 1st and 2nd. Allow multiple games in the middle timeslot on the 1st.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)

Personally, I hate it that way. I'd rather have multiple bowl games on at the same time all day/night on New Years Day. Sometimes those BCS bowls are boring, and then you have nothing else to watch.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:13 AM)
The two things that killed Jan 1 for me are:

(1) No longer multiple games in every timeslot. Used to be able to flip channels and see constant football action for 12 hours without ever seeing a single commercial

(2) All the best teams no longer playing on Jan 1. The top 6 teams now play AFTER Jan 1.

Since I know that I'm never going to get these things back, I guess the best compromise is:

Play the semifinals in primetime on the 1st and 2nd. Allow multiple games in the middle timeslot on the 1st.

There's still 2 BCS bowls Jan 1. It's not the best 6 teams after Jan 1, it's the best 2, that's the only thing that's guaranteed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Personally, I hate it that way. I'd rather have multiple bowl games on at the same time all day/night on New Years Day. Sometimes those BCS bowls are boring, and then you have nothing else to watch.

I feel like recently they've been good games (Rose/Fiesta). Morning is fine to jam pack them in there, and I used to be like you, but I've got used to having a singular focus on those bigger games as they day goes on.

ESPU replaying the Top 25 Games of 2011 this week. Games and times (central) listed below. There will be multiple showings of each in case you miss one or forget to set the DVR.

25. Clemson @ Maryland - Clemson won 56-45 Sun 7/8 11:30 am

24. Washington @ Baylor, Alamo Bowl Dec 29 - Baylor won 67-56 Sun 7/8 2:00 pm

23. Mississippi St @ Auburn - Auburn won 41-34 Sun 7/8 4:30 pm

22. Ohio State @ Michigan - Michigan won 40-34 Sun 7/8 9:30 pm

21. Missouri @ Arizona St - ASU won 37-30 OT Mon 7/9 Noon

20. South Carolina @ Georgia - South Carolina won 45-42 Mon 7/9 6:00 pm

19. Northern Illinois @ Toledo - NIU won 63-60 Mon 7/9 8:30 pm

18. Texas @ Texas A&M - Texas won 27-25 Tue 7/10 6:00 pm

17. Utah State @ Auburn - Auburn survived 42-38 Tue 7/10 8:30 pm

16. Ohio State@ Nebraska - Nebraksa won 34-27 Wed 7/11 6:00 pm

15. LSU @ Alabama - LSU won 9-6 OT Wed 7/11 8:30 pm

14. Texas A&M @ Kansas St - K State won 53-50 4OT Thurs 7/12 6:00 pm

13. Wisconsin @ Ohio St - OSU won 33-29 Thurs 8:30 pm

12. Texas A&M vs. Arkansas in Dallas - Arkansas won 42-38 Fri 7/13 6:00 pm

11. Oklahoma St @ Iowa St - ISU won 37-31 2OT busting up OSU's CG game dreams Fri 7/13 8:30 pm

10. Wisconsin vs. Oregon, Rose Bowl - Oregon won 45-38 Sat 7/14 Noon

9. Kansas State @ Oklahoma St - OSU won 52-45 Sat 7/14 3:00 pm

8. Michigan State vs. Georgia, Outback Bowl - MSU won 33-30 3OT Sat 7/14 6:00 pm

7. Oklahoma @ Baylor - Baylor won 45-38 SAt 7/14 8:30 pm

6. Stanford vs. Oklahoma St, Fiesta Bowl - OSU won 41-38 OT Sun 7/15 Noon

5. TBA Sun 7/15 3:00 pm

4. TBA Sun 7/15 6:00 pm

3. TBA Sun 7/15 8:30 pm

2. TBA Mon 7/16 6:00 pm

1. TBA Mon 7/16 8:30 pm

The top 5 games will be voted on ESPN Sports Nation. I can't find the poll so I'm guessing it isn't up yet. ND - Michigan, USC Stanford, Baylor - TCU and Wisconsin - Michigan St are 4 of the 5 choices. Not sure about the 5th. ESPN messed up in their commercial and showed USC - Stanford twice.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Shouldnt Wisconsin- MSU be one of the top 5, and that could be either the CCG or the regular season game (hail mary win for MSU).

Likely Wisconsin has at least 3, if not 4 games on that list.

Edited the bottom. Wisky - MSU (hail mary) was one of them. I had the OSU game, which is already on the list and not in the top 5.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Shouldnt Wisconsin- MSU be one of the top 5, and that could be either the CCG or the regular season game (hail mary win for MSU).

Likely Wisconsin has at least 3, if not 4 games on that list.

Edited the bottom. Wisky - MSU (hail mary) was one of them. I had the OSU game, which is already on the list and not in the top 5.