Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
So what is the best case scenario for Teo here? That he was duped into believing this online persona was real but lied and embellished the story about meeting her and how in love he was with her etc, and then playing up his dead girlfriend for sympathy and attention even though he had never met her? I mean even if someone was to give him the benefit of the doubt that he believed she was real (in which case he is a f***ing moron considering he apparently was in an online relationship with her for 3 years yet never met or video chatted her) it doesn't fix the fact that his entire story is a lie.

Edit:

Also, the girlfriend you supposedly love is in a car accident and you don't visit her? She is dying of leukemia but you never visit her?

Yeah, I'm not buying Teo's story at all.

Best case for T'eo is that he runs a good 40 and comes off somewhat normal in the interviews with NFL teams.

If a team thinks he can play at the NFL level, they will not give two s***s about his fake girlfriend.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN sits for 10 days on an article like that because they want to get all facts checked before they air it, and then they'd want to air it in an OTL type of setting. They'd only have one person doing that, and they need sit down, televised interviews from each party involved. They need to wait to hear back from people, set appointments, get flights scheduled, etc. Deadspin just calls or emails people. There is far less to do with a written news piece than there is a televised news piece.

EDIT: At the very least, they want to get facts checked first. That can take some time.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Best case for T'eo is that he runs a good 40 and comes off somewhat normal in the interviews with NFL teams.

If a team thinks he can play at the NFL level, they will not give two s***s about his fake girlfriend.

So long as it's not a distraction in the locker room.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
So long as it's not a distraction in the locker room.

It won't be. College and NFL players have done a lot worse.

It will be embarrassing for him, but if he comes out week 1 and has 13 tackles and a sack, no one will care.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
It won't be. College and NFL players have done a lot worse.

It will be embarrassing for him, but if he comes out week 1 and has 13 tackles and a sack, no one will care.

heres how bizarre this thing is

waddle and silvy were saying this is like a movie. only , its too ridiculous even for a movie. If a movie had this plot I would stop watching and walk out, its just absurdly ridiculous

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
For 3 years mind you. Talking on the phone over 2 hours per day every day. That would be the mod dedicated scam artist ever.

It just makes you wonder how many of the details like this were embellished for the media, and now they are just ashamed to admit it.

They are all just digging themselves a deeper, and deeper hole.

It seems quite obvious they weren't dating until late 2011. If this is a scam that has been attempted on others, it's possible he could have encountered her before the scam was on him. I would need to look at his statement again, but I thought he left the wording just vague enough that he could have had some amount of in person contact with an impostor despite most of their interactions occurring online.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
It seems quite obvious they weren't dating until late 2011. If this is a scam that has been attempted on others, it's possible he could have encountered her before the scam was on him. I would need to look at his statement again, but I thought he left the wording just vague enough that he could have had some amount of in person contact with an impostor despite most of their interactions occurring online.

He said they weren't a couple until early 2012 I believe.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)

Notre Dame's AD said the relationship was exclusively an online relationship.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
When did we as a society become TMZ? Who gives a s*** if some kid in college is diddling an imaginary friend? The kid probably has mental/emotional problems.

This here kinda sums up my feelings. The whole story of a college kid (not even an NFL player yet) being outed by Deadspin like this is just creepy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
This here kinda sums up my feelings. The whole story of a college kid (not even an NFL player yet) being outed by Deadspin like this is just creepy.

I think with all of the publicity he has gotten, through his own fault or otherwise, combined with his obvious plans on becoming a professional athlete within a few months, makes him far more than just some college kid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)

I get your point, but it's not just about an imaginary girlfriend. It's about the fake death of a supposed cancer patient being used as a motivational ploy for a player, team, & university. As he was winning awards left & right, the dead GF was part of the story.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)

Disagree. He brought this on himself even if you believe that he was duped into believing his "girlfriend" was a real person.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I get your point, but it's not just about an imaginary girlfriend. It's about the fake death of a supposed cancer patient being used as a motivational ploy for a player, team, & university. As he was winning awards left & right, the dead GF was part of the story.

I also saw that over 1 million dollars were raised in her name for charity at ND.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/17/notre_dames_double_standard/

Less than a day into the Manti Te’o revelations, we’ve heard more about a fake dead girlfriend of a Notre Dame football player than a real dead girl. Lizzy Seeberg committed suicide, not long after being intimidated by Notre Dame football players for reporting a sexual assault by one of their teammates. A second woman who was taken to the hospital for a rape exam declined to formally accuse another Notre Dame football player after getting a series of bullying texts from players.

The handful of people who immediately took note of the contrast in the attention — both by the press and by the university — are absolutely right to be angry. But no one should be surprised.

[...]

We all have heard by now how denial and institutional culture contributed to Jerry Sandusky’s ability to continue assaulting young boys for years, under cover of the Penn State football program. But once that was exposed, it was rightly considered an unambiguous evil. The sexual assault of women can and is often explained away — including the Notre Dame donor who justified his continued support to Henneberger by saying that Seeberg had been sexually aggressive, that “she was all over the boy.” In other words, it’s not just the players who are banding together around their brothers whether they’re rapists or not; it’s the adults around them who are turning a blind eye because they consider other things more important. And they’re willing to believe anything except that these nice boys can be rapists.