Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
That is a player that Hoke probably wouldnt have recruited, he had grade and character issues in HS but RichRod took him anyway.

RichRod made a living taking those types of players at WVU.

Just saw this tweet from Bruce Feldman that would interest the Illinois fans:

‏@BFeldmanCBS

RT @Gambo620 Penn State RSF Right Tackle Ryan Nowicki has decided to transfer and is likely headed to Illinois

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
That doesnt even make sense, Zook can recruit.

I think he was trying to make some sort of statement that it was a questionable move on Beckman's staff and that Zook would be above that? Not really sure and I don't agree with that sentiment either.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
@Matt_HayesSN

#ESPN says Illinois sent six coaches to #PennState. In the parking lot. I don't think Zooker would do that.

As long as the Illinois coaches are doing it respectfully, as in gave Penn St coaches a heads up, and are treating the kids right, then I have absolutely no problem recruiting the hell out of PSU players.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
@Matt_HayesSN

#ESPN says Illinois sent six coaches to #PennState. In the parking lot. I don't think Zooker would do that.

Classless. Do you really need to send 6 coaches to go poach through all of there players. I completely understand doing it, but reach out to the head coach, let him know, etc. Do it in a respectful manner. It isn't a freaking mall.

Note: If anyone gripes, Ferentz has already been mentioned as someone who reached out directly to O'Brien.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Classless. Do you really need to send 6 coaches to go poach through all of there players. I completely understand doing it, but reach out to the head coach, let him know, etc. Do it in a respectful manner. It isn't a freaking mall.

Note: If anyone gripes, Ferentz has already been mentioned as someone who reached out directly to O'Brien.

I really feel it is tacky to be publicly poaching players after what happened at Penn State. It just seems classless in light of what actually just happened there.

First of all I'm not saying it isn't the case, but how does that report prove or disprove that they haven't talked to O'Brien? If they didn't, I fully agree but I'm waiting to hear more about the situation than a couple tweets and article mentions.

Tomorrow being B10 media day should provide some answers. As of now, there is zero detail out there.

Edited by WHarris1

Usually I dont care for that type of stuff, but with the sanctions that came down, most of these guys are going to want to transfer, so its open season.

What is a phone call going to do?

Hey O'Brien, Im going to try and recruit your best players, is that okay?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Usually I dont care for that type of stuff, but with the sanctions that came down, most of these guys are going to want to transfer, so its open season.

What is a phone call going to do?

Hey O'Brien, Im going to try and recruit your best players, is that okay?

Well I think it just shows a bit more class to have a courtesy call. But really, should be expected that every school is hunting these guys now.

And Jason, whose to say the Illini didn't give a heads up to O'Brien?

Personally, I'm glad the Illini are taking advantage of this situation, we could get some talent/depth infusion without penalties. Of course, I hope they are doing it with class and respect to the PSU players and coaches.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Since when can you recruit players that are currently under scholarship? I thought the player had to say he was transferring before they could do that.

This situation is certainly outside the bounds of typical transfer/recruiting rules.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/ncaa-...otball-players/

"Coaches from other schools will be allowed to contact and recruit Penn State players until classes start at Penn State on August 27."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...penly-recruited

And...........

Illinois AD Mike Thomas has communicated with Penn State acting AD Dave Joyner, in accordance with Big Ten rules, about the Fighting Illini pursuing current Nittany Lions players.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
First of all I'm not saying it isn't the case, but how does that report prove or disprove that they haven't talked to O'Brien? If they didn't, I fully agree but I'm waiting to hear more about the situation than a couple tweets and article mentions.

Tomorrow being B10 media day should provide some answers. As of now, there is zero detail out there.

Given that they are literally sending out the kitchen sink should tell you there motive. They are literally going bargain shopping at the swap meet for some football players. Again, I have zero problem recruiting these players and the players have every right to look elsewhere. But it seems really below the belt (and I'm sure Illinois isn't the only team doing this) to send 6 people to go talk to probably every decent player on the team.

I think the same could be accomplished in a much more classy and less public manner. But I'll also point out, most of recruiting is classless.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
Given that they are literally sending out the kitchen sink should tell you there motive. They are literally going bargain shopping at the swap meet for some football players. Again, I have zero problem recruiting these players and the players have every right to look elsewhere. But it seems really below the belt (and I'm sure Illinois isn't the only team doing this) to send 6 people to go talk to probably every decent player on the team.

I think the same could be accomplished in a much more classy and less public manner. But I'll also point out, most of recruiting is classless.

It just strikes me as a dog eat dog situation. If you aren't doing it, plenty of other schools are doing it. So if you want those talented players to be on your roster rather than one of your competitors, oh well. As long as you follow the protocol of notifying PSU, which it is now reported that they have, I see no issue.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)

O'Brien specifically named the coaches that have called him and Beck wasnt one of them. It appears as if they just went AD to AD.

Some people will see it as classless, and they will forget about it a week later.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
O'Brien specifically named the coaches that have called him and Beck wasnt one of them. It appears as if they just went AD to AD.

Some people will see it as classless, and they will forget about it a week later.

Considering he also said some players have as many as 50 scholarship offers I doubt he named every coach who called him or is contacting his players.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Considering he also said some players have as many as 50 scholarship offers I doubt he named every coach who called him or is contacting his players.

Who cares? I sure dont, just mentioned that he named the coaches who called him in his press conference this morning. I hope Urban is going after every recruit that is committed to PSU.

Like I said, nobody outside of Happy Valley will care that PSU players are going elsewhere, they will probably send hate mail to your AD and Beckman.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Who cares? I sure dont, just mentioned that he named the coaches who called him in his press conference this morning. I hope Urban is going after every recruit that is committed to PSU.

Like I said, nobody outside of Happy Valley will care that PSU players are going elsewhere, they will probably send hate mail to your AD and Beckman.

I certainly give zero f***s and hope that Illinois can land as many talented players as they please. I was simply defending the fact that they really haven't done anything to warrant being singled out or trashed compared to any other school.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
I certainly give zero f***s and hope that Illinois can land as many talented players as they please. I was simply defending the fact that they really haven't done anything to warrant being singled out or trashed compared to any other school.

They only were because of this:

In the 48 hours since the NCAA levied unprecedented sanctions against the program, an extraordinary recruiting frenzy has played out on Penn State's campus, where players are working out. At noon Wednesday, several groups of coaches from opposing teams were waiting in the Lasch Football Building parking lot to recruit Penn State players.

"Our players are in our building right now and they don't want to leave the building because there are coaches from other schools in the parking lot waiting to see them," said O'Brien, who spent the morning at ESPN's Bristol, Conn. campus.

Penn State players are free to transfer without having to sit out, and Redd is being told by coaches at various programs that he can play right away. Interested schools, however, must notify Penn State first per NCAA rules.

"USC notified Penn State on Monday that it is interested in Redd, another source said. O'Brien and his colleagues walked past a group of six coaches carrying University of Illinois bags and suitcases. A Penn State official told ESPN.com that no words were exchanged between O'Brien and the Illinois contingent."

PSU coaches were down at SMU when they got the death penalty, coaches from PSU sent letters to ALL OSU recruits last season about "success with honor" and never being sanctioned by the NCAA. They are getting exactly what they've given as far as recruiting goes.