Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
I certainly give zero f***s and hope that Illinois can land as many talented players as they please. I was simply defending the fact that they really haven't done anything to warrant being singled out or trashed compared to any other school.

Other than camping out in PSU parking lots?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
They only were because of this:

PSU coaches were down at SMU when they got the death penalty, coaches from PSU sent letters to ALL OSU recruits last season about "success with honor" and never being sanctioned by the NCAA. They are getting exactly what they've given as far as recruiting goes.

That is right poor Penn St my ass................alot more schools than Illinois are there also.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
My favorite part was Matt MCGloin coming out and saying he is staying "for the team and fans." Trust me dude, they didnt actually want you to stay.

:lolhitting Exactly. His other option would be transferring and getting to sit the bench his senior year.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Other than camping out in PSU parking lots?

Illinois coaches ran into Bill O'Brien as the Penn State coach was leaving the Lasch Football Building on his way to visit ESPN, according to a story on the network's website. Other schools reportedly also were in the parking lot of the Lasch Building.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ca.../1#.UBFM37SvKSo

At noon Wednesday, several groups of coaches from opposing teams were waiting in the Lasch Football Building parking lot to recruit Penn State players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...penly-recruited

As I said, still waiting for this definitive evidence to suggest they should be singled out compared to any other school. The above quotes suggest to the contrary of your claim that they are the only ones. So we know Illinois coaches were seen at the airport by coach O'Brien, and we know that "several groups of coaches" were at parking lots. Jumping to conclusions.

"I was simply defending the fact that they really haven't done anything to warrant being singled out or trashed compared to any other school." Fact. Say what you will about the overall situation and how it is being handled across college football and by the NCAA, but Illinois is plain and simple doing nothing differently than a vast number of other programs.

And before the retort of "just because other programs are doing it doesn't make it right"...yes, in college football it pretty much does. The competitive slimey nature of recruiting dominates the landscape and in order to stay competitive when there are a number of highly talented players available you must do what other programs do. Not to mention, the first player who seemed to have any intentions of leaving PSU was an OT from Arizona who was said to favor Illinois.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ca.../1#.UBFM37SvKSo

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...penly-recruited

As I said, still waiting for this definitive evidence to suggest they should be singled out compared to any other school. The above quotes suggest to the contrary of your claim that they are the only ones. So we know Illinois coaches were seen at the airport by coach O'Brien, and we know that "several groups of coaches" were at parking lots. Jumping to conclusions.

"I was simply defending the fact that they really haven't done anything to warrant being singled out or trashed compared to any other school." Fact. Say what you will about the overall situation and how it is being handled across college football and by the NCAA, but Illinois is plain and simple doing nothing differently than a vast number of other programs.

And before the retort of "just because other programs are doing it doesn't make it right"...yes, in college football it pretty much does. The competitive slimey nature of recruiting dominates the landscape and in order to stay competitive when there are a number of highly talented players available you must do what other programs do. Not to mention, the first player who seemed to have any intentions of leaving PSU was an OT from Arizona who was said to favor Illinois.

Not everyone is doing it...

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz

Bielema says UW won't reach out to Penn State players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
Not everyone is doing it...

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz

Bielema says UW won't reach out to Penn State players.

Obviously not EVERYONE is doing it that was never the point either. :bang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
So Wisconsin isn't competitive?

Illinois roster lacks talent, there are several "free agent" football players who are extremely talented, many of these players have received as many as FIFTY scholarship offers already, many teams had coaching staffs on Penn States campus and in "the parking lot".

What about that suggests that Illinois had done anything worthy of singling out compared to the rest of the schools doing the same exact thing? Just because Wisconsin and some other schools are choosing not to does not make it wrong for Illinois and countless other schools to engage in what they are doing.

Same press conference: (OH WOW!)

Jeremy Werner ‏@WernerConnectFM

Bielema said he's not upset with other coaches that do recruit PSU players but that he did not feel comfortable doing it

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
So Wisconsin isn't competitive?

Illinois is targeting players that had shown interest in Illinois prior to committing to PSU. Maybe Wisconsin doesn't, who knows. This whole story is a bunch of bulls***. NCAA opened the doors for this, Illinois, and other schools, are taking advantage.

Wisky may have their scholarships set, I have no idea what their situation is like. That said, if a PSU player that is talented and fits in a spot for Wisky came to them and said he wanted to play there, would they really turn him away?

Illinois most likely doesn't have that luxury where players are coming up to them to play for them, therefore we need to be more visible and welcoming to these players. And like I've said, as long as they are being professional (aka no hassling players or other coaches, we got courtesy permission to be there, etc).

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Illinois roster lacks talent, there are several "free agent" football players who are extremely talented, many of these players have received as many as FIFTY scholarship offers already, many teams had coaching staffs on Penn States campus and in "the parking lot".

What about that suggests that Illinois had done anything worthy of singling out compared to the rest of the schools doing the same exact thing? Just because Wisconsin and some other schools are choosing not to does not make it wrong for Illinois and countless other schools to engage in what they are doing.

Bielema said he's not upset with other coaches that do recruit PSU players but that he did not feel comfortable doing it

And that's fine for him to feel that way, but at the same time I think these players deserve a chance at another school, to finish their career with a chance for postseason play and not have to deal with all the negative media attention in the next few years.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)

You said in order to be competitive teams had to recruit like this. Wisconsin is the favored team in the Big Ten this year, and they aren't doing it. And of course Bielema isn't going to call out the rest of the coaches in the Big 10. He isn't stupid.

And obviously it isn't wrong. But it is slimy and disgusting. The only reason these kids are available is because their school and coach protected a child molester. Schools wanting to profit from that are no better than any of the other dirty recruiters out there. It doesn't matter if it is Illinois or anyone else. I say good for the Badgers. That gives me a lot more respect for them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Wisky may have their scholarships set, I have no idea what their situation is like. That said, if a PSU player that is talented and fits in a spot for Wisky came to them and said he wanted to play there, would they really turn him away?

Illinois most likely doesn't have that luxury where players are coming up to them to play for them, therefore we need to be more visible and welcoming to these players. And like I've said, as long as they are being professional (aka no hassling players or other coaches, we got courtesy permission to be there, etc).

Completely different scenario than camping out in the PSU parking lots to target kids to come play for you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
You said in order to be competitive teams had to recruit like this. Wisconsin is the favored team in the Big Ten this year, and they aren't doing it. And of course Bielema isn't going to call out the rest of the coaches in the Big 10. He isn't stupid.

And obviously it isn't wrong. But it is slimy and disgusting. The only reason these kids are available is because their school and coach protected a child molester. Schools wanting to profit from that are no better than any of the other dirty recruiters out there. It doesn't matter if it is Illinois or anyone else. I say good for the Badgers. That gives me a lot more respect for them.

It's a lot easier to do/say that when you are Wisconsin and you really have no use for most of the players on Penn State's roster given your position within your conference already. A Penn State player EXPRESSED INTEREST IN PLAYING FOR ILLINOIS before any of the coaches even went there.

Whether you think the entire practice is messed up or not really has nothing to do with the point I have been making all along, and that is that its beyond stupid to single out Illinois when they are one of God only knows how many teams following these exact same practices.

Its hard to tell why Wisconsin isnt going to do it. Is it out of the kindness of their heart? Or do they not feel that there are many good upgrades so this is an easy way to get some positive press for Bielema.

Just a crazy free for all right now.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
It's a lot easier to do/say that when you are Wisconsin and you really have no use for most of the players on Penn State's roster given your position within your conference already. A Penn State player EXPRESSED INTEREST IN PLAYING FOR ILLINOIS before any of the coaches even went there.

Whether you think the entire practice is messed up or not really has nothing to do with the point I have been making all along, and that is that its beyond stupid to single out Illinois when they are one of God only knows how many teams following these exact same practices.

Illinois doesn't deserve to be singled out. But it doesn't excuse them from the bottom feeding going on here either. Just like being in a pack of people going 80 on the interstate, not everyone gets caught. Illinois just happened to be the one who got busted here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Completely different scenario than camping out in the PSU parking lots to target kids to come play for you.

Illinois is a completely different position when it comes to recruiting, they can't live off of recent performances nor name brand to recruit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Illinois doesn't deserve to be singled out. But it doesn't excuse them from the bottom feeding going on here either. Just like being in a pack of people going 80 on the interstate, not everyone gets caught. Illinois just happened to be the one who got busted here.

But going 80 on the interstate is illegal by the regulations of that entity. Recruiting Penn State's players right now is not. Blame the NCAA, not the schools taking advantage of it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Its hard to tell why Wisconsin isnt going to do it. Is it out of the kindness of their heart? Or do they not feel that there are many good upgrades so this is an easy way to get some positive press for Bielema.

Just a crazy free for all right now.

If they feel set, then Bielema did about the best thing possible for his program, he made/guilted every fan to hate any of the schools recruiting PSU players. It's actually quite genius.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
But going 80 on the interstate is illegal by the regulations of that entity. Recruiting Penn State's players right now is not. Blame the NCAA, not the schools taking advantage of it.

But it is still taking advantage of a situation made possible by the protection of a child molester by an entire university. If Illinois wants to take advantage of that, I can damned well blame them and lose respect for them. Anything to win football games though...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
But it is still taking advantage of a situation made possible by the protection of a child molester by an entire university. If Illinois wants to take advantage of that, I can damned well blame them and lose respect for them. Anything to win football games though...

All I said from the beginning is that they are doing nothing differently and deserve no special attention than any other school who has done the same exact thing, and by accounts there are many of those schools.

By this logic it is a shame to offer kids who WANT TO TRANSFER the chance at an equivalent level of football, earn an equivalent degree from a Big Ten program, and play football for a program that has some chance of achieving success on the field.

And for the talk of the player doing the reaching out: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/penn-st-nit...nois-penn-state

This came out before the Illini coaches stepped foot in Happy Valley, and was likely a major reason for their visit.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)

So all the PSU kids should be forced to stay at Penn State and not allowed to transfer anywhere? They had nothing to do with the protection of the child molester, but yet it's their fault and they should not leave the university?