Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
But it is still taking advantage of a situation made possible by the protection of a child molester by an entire university. If Illinois wants to take advantage of that, I can damned well blame them and lose respect for them. Anything to win football games though...

Oh I'm sorry, so if it wasn't child rape, it would be OK? What caused this situation is irrelevant to other teams recruiting these players.

f*** if that's not MORE of a reason to get PSU players out of that hell hole.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
So all the PSU kids should be forced to stay at Penn State and not allowed to transfer anywhere? They had nothing to do with the protection of the child molester, but yet it's their fault and they should not leave the university?

Again, the kids wanting to go somewhere else, is much different than camping out in the PSU parking lot.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
Oh I'm sorry, so if it wasn't child rape, it would be OK? What caused this situation is irrelevant to other teams recruiting these players.

f*** if that's not MORE of a reason to get PSU players out of that hell hole.

The "anything to win football games" mentality is what created Penn State.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Again, the kids wanting to go somewhere else, is much different than camping out in the PSU parking lot.

If a kid wants to stay there, they most likely are going to stay there, if none of these events had changed their mind a couple coaches won't do it.

Illinois/any school recruiting there is for the kids who WANT to transfer, which I'm assuming is a vast majority of them.

It's recruiting. What should they do, hope some of them drive to Memorial Stadium to ask if they'd be interested in letting them transfer? If you want to have any chance at getting any of them, you have to be in contact with them. It's really that simple.

They went to visit at least one player who has already publicly expressed interest in their program: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/penn-st-nit...nois-penn-state

Seeing as how it would be rather difficult for these players to visit other campuses in such a short window...

Edited by WHarris1

The "anything to win football games" mentality is what created Penn State.

What's your point?

You trying to link child rape to Illinois football, and this recruiting, is just ridiculous. We're not covering up child rapists to recruit these players right now.

Again, why the players are available is pretty much irrelevant. It's just a fact that they are, and schools can act accordingly.

Ironically enough I barely give a f*** about the Illinois football program and am one of the biggest bashers of this bulls*** pathetic program so that's a pretty weak retort.

Heaven forbid they head to State College to recruit a kid who wants out of Penn State and expressed interest in their program, with no time for him to make multiple campus visits.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
If they feel set, then Bielema did about the best thing possible for his program, he made/guilted every fan to hate any of the schools recruiting PSU players. It's actually quite genius.

That is the reason I brought it up. just seems that if there was a player who could really help Wisconsin next year, that Bielema would be after him.

I have no problem with ANY school being there. I want those kids to have a chance to get out of that situation, and if no one goes to Illinois than I completely get that too (though I know we have 1 recruit).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
That is the reason I brought it up. just seems that if there was a player who could really help Wisconsin next year, that Bielema would be after him.

He's all over their recruits though, dont fool yourself.

PS's actual roster isnt all that great, a player here and there but nothing too crazy to waste a scholly on as you have to true up next season. I would say the best targets right now are obviously Redd (USC) a couple of OL (UW doesnt need any of them) and maybe a DL or two. Thats about it. They werent going to be a very good team this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
You said in order to be competitive teams had to recruit like this. Wisconsin is the favored team in the Big Ten this year, and they aren't doing it. And of course Bielema isn't going to call out the rest of the coaches in the Big 10. He isn't stupid.

And obviously it isn't wrong. But it is slimy and disgusting. The only reason these kids are available is because their school and coach protected a child molester. Schools wanting to profit from that are no better than any of the other dirty recruiters out there. It doesn't matter if it is Illinois or anyone else. I say good for the Badgers. That gives me a lot more respect for them.

So what, these kids are tainted goods or something? You're just being a hater here. This is a special circumstance where, again, the NCAA opened up the recruitment of these guys. There's nothing slimy about it.

Beckman just said that yes they were at state college, however they actually were not on campus (or camping out in the parking lot) recruiting players. They were there for those that did want to meet with them. He covered this before even being asked about it by the media.

Keep in mind that coaches who dont have "room" are making a brilliant statement by coming out and saying they dont feel its right to recruit PSU players. Bielema and Meyer both came out and said they wouldnt go after PSU players, well UW already got their free agent QB and really are pretty full and OSU is under scholly reductions of their own. Neither really has the flexibility to bring on transfers like that and yet they are making themselves look great and moral by saying they wouldnt go after them anyway.

Good PR move.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Beckman just said that yes they were at state college, however they actually were not on campus (or camping out in the parking lot) recruiting players. They were there for those that did want to meet with them. He covered this before even being asked about it by the media.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Yep. Saw some writers on Twitter bashing them a little bit this morning but I am a pretty big fan, those are nice

I like the middle stripe, I'm sure some wont because the whole uni looks a little TCU-ish but overall its a nice package.

Wait...so they weren't just trolling the parking lot convincing re-committed players to jump ship?

Also, Twitter being down during Big 10 Media Day is not ideal

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
Wait...so they weren't just trolling the parking lot convincing re-committed players to jump ship?

Also, Twitter being down during Big 10 Media Day is not ideal

No, it doesn't sound like they were outside the door handing out Illinois rally towels and playing the fight song as soon as PSU players left the building.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
The new Northwestern Unis are pretty tight

http://www.nusports.com/sports/m-footbl/sp.../072612aaa.html

I'm not a fan personally. They're pretty boring outside of the stripe and they don't have a logo on the actual jerseys.

Then again, the recruits are what matters and they all supposedly love anything Under Armour does.

Edited by ZoomSlowik