Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a poison pill.

Delaney knows that the SEC wont want to play North of the Mason-Dixon line, therefore they are unlikely to agree to the proposal. This way the Big 10 gets to say "We are the good guys who want the playoffs, the SEC is the bad guy."

Simple brinkmanship, make an offer that you know the other side doesnt want, but sounds reasonable to a third party.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Its a poison pill.

Delaney knows that the SEC wont want to play North of the Mason-Dixon line, therefore they are unlikely to agree to the proposal. This way the Big 10 gets to say "We are the good guys who want the playoffs, the SEC is the bad guy."

Simple brinkmanship, make an offer that you know the other side doesnt want, but sounds reasonable to a third party.

The thing about that is, if you go back and look at what the matchups would have been since 1998, 23 of the 28 semifinal games would have been played south of the Mason-Dixon line or in Los Angeles. 3 games would have been in Columbus, one in Lincoln, and one up in Oregon.

Reasons DGB is in Missouri

1) His home state. And some people on campus said his mother had cancer, which makes everything very easy to comprehend. I hope that's not the case.

2) A passing offense with an explosive RB to take pressure off of him.

3) He, the HS All Time Receiving Yards Leader, joins Maty Mauk, the HS All Time Passing Yards Leader

4) He's a 3 star basketball recruit for us as well. Without size outside of Bowers, he could probably get a spot next year.

5) Gary Pinkel visited him, in a damn helicopter.

6) At both of his visits (Football and Basketball) the student sections had shirts that said MIZ-DGB, chanted MIZ-DGB, and roared with cheering whenever he did anything.

7) SEC move.

8) Reportedly Arkansas' biggest selling point was it is his brothers favorite school.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Littlehurt,

Id love it if the SEC agreed. Id be quite interested to see Florida come up to Madison or Ann Arbor in December. Well see what happens, but thats my prediction.

Except Wisconsin hasn't been in the top 2 in what, decades? Michigan hasn't been for a while either. You basically just mentioned the unlikely scenario in which the Big Ten actually has a national title contender not named Ohio State.

Its a poison pill.

What if they set up the 4-team playoff so that the semifinals weren't on campuses, but at pre-determined "host" sites for each conference, with the higher-seeded team controlling 75% of the tickets?

If a Big Ten team is a 1 or 2 seed, they host in Indy, SEC hosts in New Orleans, Big12 in Dallas, PAC-12 in LA, ACC in Atlanta, and I guess we don't need to worry about the Big East hosting.

Hickory,

The problem is right now most fan bases just dont have the disposable cash to support that type of traveling. Even the Big10 Championship game had problems selling tickets because so many MSU/Wisconsin fans were saving for the Rose Bowl, and these are 2 of the largest fan bases and generally considered to have good traveling support.

You add in how much they want for donations just for the privilege to buy the season tickets, etc. a lot of bases just wont support 3 games (Championship, semi-final and final).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
Iowa has reportedly offered former Texas OC Greg Davis, which would be just fantastic.

That would be a pretty damn good hire. He was the scapegoat a year ago but had 12 years of leading an above average offense. Hopefully he can recruit too. That said, having not followed Texas football, I have no idea what/how he was. He also had all the talent in the world to coach.

I had even seen rumors of Moore, although I call those rumors utter BS.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
That would be a pretty damn good hire. He was the scapegoat a year ago but had 12 years of leading an above average offense. Hopefully he can recruit too. That said, having not followed Texas football, I have no idea what/how he was. He also had all the talent in the world to coach.

Not a lot of Iowa fans are happy about it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Not a lot of Iowa fans are happy about it.

Iowa fans are some of the whiniest fans in the world. The guy has had success running pro and spread offenses and has done a good job adjusting his offense based upon personnel. I've never seen more ungrateful fans in the world. Ferentz is one of the best collegiate coaches in the game and they whine and complain about how terrible he is. The dude gets a call every year from a couple pro teams that try to lure him (and he is usually near the very top of the list of NFL teams who want to look to the collegiate ranks).

He also just made two shrewd hires in bringing his son to be the oline coach and Lavar Woods in as the LB coach. Heck, even when they hired Fran, they whined and complained, wishing they had Keno Davis (mistake) or another number of guys that were ex Hawkeyes. It was stupid. And I will point out, Coach Fran hasn't proved anything yet, but he's already shown himself to be light-years better than Lick.

Look at Greg Davis reputation. He was a pretty successful OC for North Carolina as well. Now maybe it was Mack that was the smarts, I have no idea, but his track record would appear to be pretty good. Now you can argue about the talent Davis had and where they should have produced, but as an OC, his offenses ranked (in 12 years of being an OC w/Texas). In all but 2 of his years as an OC, he had top 30 offenses.

3 Top 10

5 Top 15

9 Top 30

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:31 AM)
The reason Texas sucked at offense last season is that they had the worst QB play in the Big 12.

And boy did they. They were middle of the pack in the Big 12 in rushing, IIRC, and near the top in defense, but none of it mattered due to QB play.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)

Unless things have changed, Mack Brown's coordinators don't/didn't do much recruiting. That was one of the (keyword one) problems with Greg Robinson when he came from Michigan as DC. Probably one of the reasons he didn't do well at Syracuse as head coach either. Rarely did he leave campus to recruit. Coach Rodriguez let him follow a similar plan. Focus on being the coordinator, let the position coaches do the recruiting road work and talk to recruits when they are on campus. Sadly the formula didn't work at Michigan either in terms of recruiting or a better defense. With a background as a DC at Texas and the NFL, Robinson should have had a lot of clout with recruits. He didn't.

Not sure how Muschamp handled recruiting with Mack Brown, but it is my understanding that is Mack Brown's general plan. Coordinators are coordinators and position coaches are recruiting foot soldiers.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, people care!

A year ago, Iowa State had sold nearly 1,800 football season tickets. Today that number stands at almost 8,000. This includes 600 new season-ticket orders.

Last year we averaged over 53k fans a game. Maybe we can get it up over 55k and capacity and then finally bowl in the end zone. Factor in at least another 6k for student tickets that haven't been sold yet and sell out yearly and we're already at nearly 14,000.

May not seem like a lot, but I'm sure NS can attest that it's a lot for a program that 15 years ago couldn't give away tickets.

The issue with Greg Davis was, even in a spread, he would go conservative. And this was with VY and Colt as well. His play calling would turn John Shoop-esque at times. The Longhorn loyals didn't like that too much.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Maryland QB Danny O'Brien is transferring to Wisconsin, he will have 2 years of eligibility starting this year.

The comparisons to Wilson are obvious, but O'Brien wasn't a starter last year so I don't know how big of a deal this is.

I'm just happy Spring Practice has started. I had the biggest smile on my face on Monday when I saw pictures of the guys at practice. We're 5 months away from the actual start of College Football season and I'm more pumped about that than any of the current sports going on right now.