Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

And do you think that ratings boost based on in your opinion is worth upwards of 10 million dollars?

I don't know how to put a dollar amount on it, but the guarantee of 5 TV games against ND every two years is definitely worth something.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
I don't know how to put a dollar amount on it, but the guarantee of 5 TV games against ND every two years is definitely worth something.

It is if the conference survives. ND will be in a conference within 5 years. Which one remains to be seen.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)

To an ND fan, sure. To possibly the commercials that want some exposure in markets like Chicago, yeah. To the schools, not nearly as much as jumping to a conference that pays better. ND's TV deal does nothing for the ACC and adding them to their schedule like you said is just adding another good non-con, it doesnt move the needle as much as you think.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Only problem with that is Fox owns 495 of the BTN. ESPN is the owner of the Longhorn Network, simply paying UT an annual fee. A financial arrangement is possible, but I don't see how they could meld them together.

It would have to fold up somehow. Ok course in the ESPN/Fox battle Texas could go SEC and other Big 12 schools like Oklahoma could go the other way. WHo knows.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
It would have to fold up somehow. Ok course in the ESPN/Fox battle Texas could go SEC and other Big 12 schools like Oklahoma could go the other way. WHo knows.

Or they won't.

The only possible realignment rumor concerning the Big 12 that doesn't involve adding teams would be a possible merger with the Pac 12.

Texas and Oklahoma literally cannot leave without litigious hellfire raining down.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
Guy on ESPN just said that if OSU was eligible, they would still be ranked behind a 1 loss team. WTF?

The quality of the Big Ten this season is on par with mid-major conferences, such as the MAC. For petesakes Indiana, at one point, had a shot at the Big Ten Championship game(Though due to OSU being bowl ineligible). That should tell you all you need to know.

Nobody takes the Big Ten and Big East seriously anymore.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
2nd sideline interference penalty of the year.

If there is a better summary of our season then Beckman on his ass butt-scooting off the field after he's penalized, please show me.

He shouldn't get a second year. This team only has a handful of good football players but it is incredibly obvious that Beckman is a bad football coach.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
He shouldn't get a second year. This team only has a handful of good football players but it is incredibly obvious that Beckman is a bad football coach.

Who would be dumb enough to take the job?

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Who would be dumb enough to take the job?

Meh, college coaches tend to be pretty confident individuals and if a guy is getting 5 or 6 times his current salary he will take a shot. I wouldn't be looking at current D1 head coaches because we won't be able to get anyone good from those ranks, look to assistant coaches like Monken from Oklahoma St. or coaches from the lower ranks that are proven winners and go that route (if OSU was willing to hire Tressel there is no reason Illinois can't take a similar approach). There are a lot of capable coaches out there, go out and find one.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Meh, college coaches tend to be pretty confident individuals and if a guy is getting 5 or 6 times his current salary he will take a shot. I wouldn't be looking at current D1 head coaches because we won't be able to get anyone good from those ranks, look to assistant coaches like Monken from Oklahoma St. or coaches from the lower ranks that are proven winners and go that route (if OSU was willing to hire Tressel there is no reason Illinois can't take a similar approach). There are a lot of capable coaches out there, go out and find one.

I'm just saying that firing Beckman means 4 straight bad to terrible recruiting classes... It'd be tough for anybody to succeed in that scenario.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm just saying that firing Beckman means 4 straight bad to terrible recruiting classes... It'd be tough for anybody to succeed in that scenario.

It cant get worse than this. If you know hes not the right guy you ditch him. Someone else could surely turn recruiting around in less than 4 years.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)

If you wait to fire Beckman until after next year you won't be in a different situation. A new coach would have just as good of a chance at keeping this class together as Beckman will at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
It cant get worse than this. If you know hes not the right guy you ditch him. Someone else could surely turn recruiting around in less than 4 years.

I don't think you can know right now that he's not the guy, but I don't really want to start that argument. I'm just saying that if I were an up and coming coach, I wouldn't touch Illinois with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole right now.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I don't think you can know right now that he's not the guy, but I don't really want to start that argument. I'm just saying that if I were an up and coming coach, I wouldn't touch Illinois with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole right now.

I think you can. This team has some serious talent deficiencies but the play calling was horrendous all year and the lack of discipline on this team was astonishing. And I'm not just referring to penalties. Watch the defense and offense closely and it is amazing how often players are out of position or miss their assignments. We also are in week 12 and are still completely unorganized in getting plays relayed to the defense and offense.