Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
I know it is only 1 year, but Tim Beckman has to go.................He is the most enept coach at Illinois I have ever seen. :angry:

There's no reason to have him back. IIRC, one of the requirements for the job was a small buyout. My guess is that is more than lost in terms of ticket sales and donations if he is back.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
I think we all know that if we weren't paying zook he'd be gone. As such were stuck for at least another year.

There's a chance we lose every game next year if siu comes to play.

unfortunately, Illini football is a cruel joke.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
unfortunately, Illini football is a cruel joke.

Since 1997, there have been 8 winless seasons in Big 10 play. Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, & Northwestern each have done it once, while Illinois did it the other 4 times. What's even more amazing is that they somehow fit two BCS bowl games into that span. Only Wisconsin, Michigan, & OSU have more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
I'd put OSU and ND in the same grouping.

Your nuts. ND has beaten the same amount of quality opponents as the rest of the top 10. They might not be better than those team, but they deserve their current ranking.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
Your nuts. ND has beaten the same amount of quality opponents as the rest of the top 10. They might not be better than those team, but they deserve their current ranking.

Correct. I don't believe that Notre Dame is the best team in the country but they absolutely deserve to be number 1 at the moment.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Correct. I don't believe that Notre Dame is the best team in the country but they absolutely deserve to be number 1 at the moment.

I hate agreeing with you.

I don't believe they would have went thru the SEC, Pac-12 or Big 12 with an undefeated record, but they deserve to be where they are.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
I hate agreeing with you.

I don't believe they would have went thru the SEC, Pac-12 or Big 12 with an undefeated record, but they deserve to be where they are.

If they win tonight, then they'll get the chance to prove it.

I'm pretty certain that Jimbo will never lead FSU to a BCS title. For such an offensive mind, he hasnt developed his QB and his offenses go through stretches of disappearing.

Too bad for FSU that no one will be trying to hire him away.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
If OSU were eligible and had a perfect season, then yeah, there would be not much a difference between their schedule and NDs.

And OSU went through their schedule undefeated, just like ND did, even though they really aren't as good as the rest of the top teams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 01:57 AM)
But of course, Manziel leaves the game in the first quarter with a knee injury. Not sure if he'll return tonight, which is a shame because he was putting up insane numbers.

He's back in the game, it's scary how good he might be next year in this system.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
https://twitter.com/dan_bernstein

My # Illinois source can't yet confirm Beckman firing rumors, but does say there's a "good chance" it happens.

PLease be true!

There's Bernstein and his sources again, always playing the middle of the road, just like someone without any sources who wants to appear to have some. Can't confirm it will happen, but there's a good chance. Thanks for the info Dan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
There's Bernstein and his sources again, always playing the middle of the road, just like someone without any sources who wants to appear to have some. Can't confirm it will happen, but there's a good chance. Thanks for the info Dan.

Dave Wischnowsky ‏ @ wischlist

Have now heard from more than one connected person that there are indications Tim Beckman won't return to # Illini in 2013. We shall see.

This guy posted his comment before DB.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Dave Wischnowsky ‏ @ wischlist

Have now heard from more than one connected person that there are indications Tim Beckman won't return to # Illini in 2013. We shall see.

This guy posted his comment before DB.

What does his recruiting class look like? If it is bad, they are probably going to fire him in a year or two anyway, so cutting their losses makes sense. But if they do that, shouldn't the AD go with him? Common sense would seem to indicate you wouldn't want the guy responsible for this hire be responsible for the next.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
What does his recruiting class look like? If it is bad, they are probably going to fire him in a year or two anyway, so cutting their losses makes sense. But if they do that, shouldn't the AD go with him? Common sense would seem to indicate you wouldn't want the guy responsible for this hire be responsible for the next.

The class is solid right now. Who knows if you keep those guys after this season though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)

As long as the Groce hire works out I'd imagine the AD would be safe for the time being. The Beckman hire was brutal though and it was easy to see that as soon as the ASU game even if a couple here were still delusional.