Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Northwestern football hopes to compete in the Big Ten sneak into a BCS on occasion and get a bowl bid for fans. They hope to play hard and be competitive annually. They do not have the horses or depth to compete with a Big Ten schedule and tough out of conference schedule.

Illinois I am not sure what they think they should be but they should get deeper talent in the door than Northwestern.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...-year-bowl-game

The Big 12 and the Southeastern conferences have announced a deal that will pit their football regular-season champions against each other in a New Year's Day bowl game for five years beginning in 2014, positioning themselves for the expected switch to a four-team playoff.

If one or both of the league champions are selected to play in the playoff, another team would be selected for the Big 12-SEC bowl showdown on Jan. 1.

The move will establish the equivalent of the Pac 12 vs. Big Ten Rose Bowl, minus nearly a century of tradition. Those two conferences have pushed for a new format preserving that matchup for the Rose Bowl, which Slive has indicated he doesn't favor.

Today's online rumors have FSU and Clemson to the Big 12, with ND bringing all other sports with a plan for full membership.

That'd be a home run. I'd be happy with just the non-revenue sports.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 21, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
Today's online rumors have FSU and Clemson to the Big 12, with ND bringing all other sports with a plan for full membership.

LOL aren't we done with this yet?

I have a pretty good source that tells me that ND is not seriously considering joining the Big 12. Too much of an alumni base in the Midwest and Northeast to join any conference other than the Big Ten or ACC.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I have a pretty good source that tells me that ND is not seriously considering joining the Big 12. Too much of an alumni base in the Midwest and Northeast to join any conference other than the Big Ten or ACC.

which just shows you how little the ACC cares about football.

If the ACC cared at all about football, they would put the full court press on ND and just crush the Big 12's hopes of being the 4th mega conference.

which just shows you how little the ACC cares about football.

If the ACC cared at all about football, they would put the full court press on ND and just crush the Big 12's hopes of being the 4th mega conference.

I don't know how much the ACC has pressed it, but it has been discussed. Getting Pittsburgh and Syracuse was done partially to make the conference more attractive to ND.

I had heard rumors that right before the ACC first robbed the Big East in 2004 (Maimi, VT), Notre Dame and Texas were proposing a 12-team national superconference:

West: Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Texas, Texas A&M

East: Duke, UNC, Notre Dame, Boston College, Virginia, Miami

That would have been something.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ May 24, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
http://www.thelantern.com/campus/gene-smit...36#.T749t9VjNkT

Sheesh... Seems Gene Smith should have also gone.

Why is this in the football thread? None of the minor secondary violations he mentioned are coming have anything to do with football.

Ohio State Athletics is not facing any major NCAA violations," Smith said. "There are several secondary violations being processed by our compliance office. These are similar to those released last week. Again, these are secondary in nature and consistent with our culture of self-reporting even the most minor and inadvertent violations.

"Again, to be clear, the Ohio State football program, its coaches and staff are not facing any violations."

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
Not sure what the Big Ten is doing.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1191938.html

I don't think they know what they are doing either. The only thing they are consistent about is their undying love for the Rose Bowl.

Personally as an Illini fan, I would love to see them hold on to the Rose Bowl affiliation, don't care about the rest. Illinois will never finish in the top four anyway, so the occasional time they finish at the top of the Big Ten, I would love a guaranteed trip to Pasadena, going there in 2008 was awesome.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
I have no idea what they're thinking. They're being really dumb about this whole thing. I can safely say that the B1G is getting badly ripped on down here in SEC country.

Trust me in that nobody cares about that.

Delany loves the Rose bowl, and doesnt want all bowl games to be in the south. Other than that, he's an idiot. The 4 team playoff is good for the big conference, which includes the Big Ten. Someone needs to whiteboard this out for him.

Plus what the hell is postseason play? I thought there were no bowls this year??

Edited by RockRaines

I dont care at all about the SEC, it means nothing to Big 10 football.

As for what the Big 10 is doing, my guess is whatever they think will make them the most money. Reading between the lines it sounds like the Rose Bowl is telling the Big 10 they are going to guarantee them truck loads of money to keep them in the picture.

The fear for everyone is that somehow you turn NCAA football into NCAA basketball, and there goes the golden goose. The Big 10 cares about money and it is going to do whatever makes the most money. Right now the most money is a +1 system, where the Big 10 gets all of its bowl money, plus the chance to maybe get more.

Rock,

I think the concern with the 4 team playoff is that to many other conferences, states, etc are going to make a lot of noise if the SEC, Big, Pac and Big 12 are getting auto bids and therefore no one else has a chance to win.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
I dont care at all about the SEC, it means nothing to Big 10 football.

Sure it does. It prevents the Big 10 from hardly ever winning BCS bowl games, much less National Championships. Therefore, you should care. It's the one league that stands in your way of being the best.