Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

It's been a messy season, but I'll take it. It's been since high school since I've seen ND playing for the championship.

The last time ND earned a national championship was my sophomore year there, but I was in 8th grade the last time they were actually awarded one.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
As long as the Groce hire works out I'd imagine the AD would be safe for the time being. The Beckman hire was brutal though and it was easy to see that as soon as the ASU game even if a couple here were still delusional.

LOL, delusional after not jumping on the "fire the coach" bandwagon after the 2nd game of the season. Got it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
If MT gets 2/3 of the mens bb, football, and womens bb coaches right, then he's doing pretty well. So far Groce has been a shining star for the Illini, hopefully he keeps it up.

And Illinois fans need to take a step back and give Beckman some time. Clearly he hasn't looked good, and he's dug himself a hole, but he needs time to get his staff right and get his players. Firing him now is about the stupidest thing you could do unless MT has some trick up his sleeve with a very solid coach waiting to come in (very unlikely).

If MT thinks Beckman is incompetent, firing Beckman would be the smartest thing he would do right now. I see very little how it could be stupid to fire him at this point. Not a lot of positives to pull out from keeping him.

Vegas expects that a ND-Alabama BCS Championship matchup would be the most wagered-on college football game ever.

There won't be an official line for a week or so, but I've seen projections that ND would be anywhere from +10 to +11½ against Alabama with a money line of about 2½ to 1.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
There won't be an official line for a week or so, but I've seen projections that ND would be anywhere from -10 to -11½ against Alabama with a money line of about 2½ to 1.

I'm guessing you mean + the points. Either way I'm taking Bama.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Yep, the big dog is back at the table. Hopefully for a long stay.

THE Big Dog? Hardly. Latest study had ND at the 4th largest fanbase. However the #1 haterbase is what made it so interesting. USC had alot of temporary fans last night.

There won't be an official line for a week or so, but I've seen projections that ND would be anywhere from +10 to +11½ against Alabama with a money line of about 2½ to 1.

Bama isnt in there yet. I saw Georgia get their ass whooped earlier on in the season and if they make it I think ND presents a large problem against them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
THE Big Dog? Hardly. Latest study had ND at the 4th largest fanbase. However the #1 haterbase is what made it so interesting. USC had alot of temporary fans last night.

Kinda like the Howard Stern movie line.

Average Stern fan listens to the show for 30 minutes because they wanted to know what he'd say next.

Average Stern hater listens to the show for 90 minutes because they wanted to know what he'd say next.

Miami doesnt have a big fanbase at all but they always get big ratings on ESPN/CBS/ABC. More people watch to see teams lose than to root for them.

Once Florida won yesterday, everybody else's chances were pretty much gone and I don't think most others wanted to see them in the title game.

Also, Florida's win yesterday locked up a top-4 BCS finish for them which means they are automatically the second SEC team in a BCS bowl, and LSU, A&M, and the Ala-Ga loser are all left out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Once Florida won yesterday, everybody else's chances were pretty much gone and I don't think most others wanted to see them in the title game.

Also, Florida's win yesterday locked up a top-4 BCS finish for them which means they are automatically the second SEC team in a BCS bowl, and LSU, A&M, and the Ala-Ga loser are all left out.

Amazing what Muschamp did with such an empty cupboard

Bama isnt in there yet. I saw Georgia get their ass whooped earlier on in the season and if they make it I think ND presents a large problem against them.

From what I've seen, Georgia would still be a favorite over ND but only by 4-5 points.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
From what I've seen, Georgia would still be a favorite over ND but only by 4-5 points.

For the record, I dont think they will beat Bama. And its the same weakness I think that would kil them against ND. Georgia has played 2 good defensive teams all year and scored 24 points total. IMO, Bama and ND are a bad matchup for them because of the d stopping the run.

Bama has at least shown the ability to put up points against good defensive teams.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)

When was the study taken? To STILL have the 4th largest fanbase after 20 years of mostly mediocre teams proves they are the Big Dog.

Edited by Marty34

OK, Florida has a better record than LSU and A&M AND beat them head to head. There is no possible justification for ranking Florida lower than either.

Other than that, I can actually buy A&M pretty high. If you asked me who is the last team I'd want to see ND face for the championship, the answer might very well be A&M.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

Am I the only one that noticed that OSU yesterday was honoring and celebrating Jim Tressel yesterday? You know the guy that kept this 12-0 team from having a chance to play for the NC or even a bowl? How is it OSU fans can honor a guy who basically brought shame to the school? Or are they just so delusional they don't think they cheated and he lied? And to also allow cheater Maurice Clarett to come back and be honored? I'm sorry Rock, but that has to be the dumbest mentality I've seen from a fan base. OSU deserves everthing they get. I'm sure there are a few level headed fans, but all I could think about yesterday was "what a bunch of dumbassed OSU fans!"

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Am I the only one that noticed that OSU yesterday was honoring and celebrating Jim Tressel yesterday? You know the guy that kept this 12-0 team from having a chance to play for the NC or even a bowl? How is it OSU fans can honor a guy who basically brought shame to the school? Or are they just so delusional they don't think they cheated and he lied? And to also allow cheater Maurice Clarett to come back and be honored? I'm sorry Rock, but that has to be the dumbest mentality I've seen from a fan base. OSU deserves everthing they get. I'm sure there are a few level headed fans, but all I could think about yesterday was "what a bunch of dumbassed OSU fans!"

They actually honored the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 title team, and they lifted up the Vest. The celebration wasn't for you anyway.

And as a Michigan fan, I'd expect hate from you.

That is a ton of points for a team that doesn't score too much.